JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Looks like a pretty simple project. Could be made pretty cheap. First step find a cheap wheel barrow with the legs for the brackets. And a beat washing machine or treadmill for the motor. Your half way there.
I could build one for about half that. But then the accessory's don't fit!
By the time I made everything to fit the price and my time are right back up there. DR

Here's a tome of info if your really want to get into the weeds on it. Lots of scanning electron microscope images of knife edges and stones etc. A truly scientific look at sharpening.

Okay, used the worksharp, Can confirm I like it.
Man there really are a thousand ways to skin a cat, huh?

Still looking for a Diamond Block/stone for home. Any consensus on the best one? Also, thoughts on using water/oil?

Okay, used the worksharp, Can confirm I like it.
Man there really are a thousand ways to skin a cat, huh?

Still looking for a Diamond Block/stone for home. Any consensus on the best one? Also, thoughts on using water/oil?
DMT diamond products are pretty good. It mostly comes down to the diamond bonding to the substrate and how fast the break free. If seen some diamond products wear out pretty fast that way and leave a bare patch where grit used to be.
There also the diamond pastes in practically any grit you could want them in down to 1 mic.

They have a pretty extensive abrasives category. Some of their stuff is reasonably priced, some ain't. Its all pretty much top of the line though. You can get some sheets of balsa wood it you want to put these pastes on and sharpen away. Cheap and effective setup.

You'll never get a more accurate edge or sharper knife if you use a Edge Pro Apex. I use it on anything that I own that has a blade. For touch ups in the feild (like gutting and quartering up a deer) I use a white ceramic honing rod.

As you can see in the picture I get a mirror finish on my edges.

These are the tools I use for my knife sharpening business as well.

If you have more questions I always love to talk shop. Shoot me a message and I can give ya a lesson or 2 if ya want

image.jpg

Last Edited:
I have had an Edgepro for over 20 years and use it for all but touch up work I use a spyderco edge maker for that.
Carry DMT diamond sharpener in my hunting pack.

I've tried them all, the best, long lasting, multi knife blade angle sharpener I've come across is the DMT, MAGNA-GUIDE KIT, very easy to use, you just need to follow the instructions, be reasonable on what blade angle you are going to sharpen at, etc...

I've even used it to sharpen my shovel, which, now works exceptionally well.

Give it a look, no buyers remorse

+ 1 for the Spyderco Sharpmaker!

Never wanted knife sharpening to be my hobby or a skill that took a long time to develop. Went through a few supposedly 'easy to use' systems and couldn't consistently get a hair-shaving edge.

Bought the Spydy Sharpmaker, watched the manufacturers YouTube video and went through a learning curve of about 10 minutes. After 5 years of having it, I use far more cheap $25 edc knives now because it's so easy to put an edge back on them that I don't obsess over the steel quality anymore. If the blade gets dull, when I get home just 2-5 minutes on the setup and it's back to shaving hairs.

BTW, even though I don't 'obsess' about steel quality much, it's nice to have some quality blades around. :s0004:

Last Edited:
I would never let some guy with a belt grinder sharpen my knives, Lawn mower blades and axe's yes but I have seen good knives and custom blades ruined very quickly by someone with a belt grinder.

I would never let some guy with a belt grinder sharpen my knives, Lawn mower blades and axe's yes but I have seen good knives and custom blades ruined very quickly by someone with a belt grinder.
Exactly, the "patron saint of knives" that's all he uses is belt grinders. I've had personally 2 knives ruined by him.

Honestly it's what made me take up the task of sharpening my own knives. And the starting my own business.

With The Edge Pro Apex you never take off "too much material" and you never mess up the blades angle unless there's some SERIOUS Negligence. Plus I can do a blade start to finish in 10 minutes

Exactly, the "patron saint of knives" that's all he uses is belt grinders. I've had personally 2 knives ruined by him.

Honestly it's what made me take up the task of sharpening my own knives. And the starting my own business.

With The Edge Pro Apex you never take off "too much material" and you never mess up the blades angle unless there's some SERIOUS Negligence. Plus I can do a blade start to finish in 10 minutes
Hmmm....
Maybe I'll stay away from the Saint.
The work done by the Oregon City guy looked very good. A finely polished edge.

Years ago, I decided that the Lansky offered a variety of stones, with the least chance of me ruining the bevel, for a reasonable price. I've used it on the same EDC pocket knife for 40+ years- still have a beautiful edge on the 154 CM blade.

I have my convex grind knives sharpened in Seattle. He was trained by Rod Chappel, and does a nice job.

Thanks.

I have a bunch of stuff.
However, I don't want a bunch of stuff in my pickup.. there's plenty already so I keep an unopened multi pack of different gritted 7" foam core emery boards from the dollar store in it.
There's like five double sided boards with grits ranging from probably 80 grit to buffing, very smooth.
You could easily repair chipped blades down to the final convex stropped condition.

No person on this earth had a blade sharper than the knives my dad used daily.
He used a regular carborundum whetstone, and touched them up with a very fine Arkansas stone.

I learned from him about 60 years ago and by the time I was a Cub Scout my knives were sharper than anyone's but his. I do it by hand with plenty of light oil. The stone is held in my left hand and the knife in my right. No clamps, guides, grinders, jigs, or gizmos are needed.

The secret is to sharpen them before you think they need it. That way the carborundum stone is only used rarely for repairing heavy use or damage, and the Arkansas stone does touch-up after just about every use.

The term "sharpen" is a misnomer. If you need to do more than polish the cutting edge, you have waited too long or have abused the edge.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top