JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Curious how you all keep your knives sharp? If you can share links to the specific equipment that would really help. Years ago my father-in-law gifted me a Tormek Sharpening system and it was wonderful. Razor sharp edges especially after the leather strop, but how do you maintain these edges without a new grind? Especially in the wilderness? TIA

I carry a fine diamond whetstone in a sheath pouch. Used to just carry a Wash!ta stone For me I also carry at least 2 knives in the woods. One is going to make a razor look dull. One is typically larger and used for less delicate operations. It also is sharp, but you can't do a full shave with it.

Last Edited:
Lansky sharpening kit. 3 stones guide rods and angle plates.

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 1.11.44 PM.png

Curious how you all keep your knives sharp? If you can share links to the specific equipment that would really help. Years ago my father-in-law gifted me a Tormek Sharpening system and it was wonderful. Razor sharp edges especially after the leather strop, but how do you maintain these edges without a new grind? Especially in the wilderness? TIA
Spyderco triangle sharpmaker. I added the diamond rods to the standard kit for reprofiling purposes or for blades where you want a fast but coarse edge. Funny just yesterday I put an edge on a dull 28" inexpensive katana with it. Did it in two sections. I was surprised it worked. Didn't take long I only used diamond stones for it.

Mostly because it's from an Oregon Company.....I bought a "Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener".

Then, for use on a daily basis in the kitchen, I use a Smith's Carbide Jiff V Sharpener (it's also good for sharpening household scissors).

Both are available from Bi-Mart or on Amazon.

Aloha, Mark

PS....on occasion I have been known to use my file and/or electric belt sander to sharpen axe blades.

Last Edited:
I have a 2x72in grinder that gets knives razor sharp. I'll maintain with a strop or ceramic honing rod. If I know I'll need a sharpen out in the field I'll bring along a diamond sharpening rod.

On my hunting/outdoors blade, I made a ceramic/ferro combination that sits on the sheath.

IMG_20210416_212016407.jpg

A fantastic tool and often on sale at Bi Mart:

I have a 2x72in grinder that gets knives razor sharp.
Seriously, I'm jealous...! Lol.
Depending on what type of knife blade, but I generally use a fiskars ceramic wheel. $20

Out in the field I have a CRKT diamond sharpener that's also like a Osteotome for cleaving bones and breaking down animals.

I've gotten to where I use the replaceable blade knives quite a bit. The Havalon Piranta is great for skinning and gutting, though I did snap a blade on a bear hide once. I carry a couple of larger knives for boning out elk. Those I sharpen at home with an old 3 stone sharpening system (sort of - coarse, finer, finest - I use finest the most) with oil. I can usually get an elk boned out without needing to sharpen the first knife, but I carry the second knife instead of a sharpening stone, just in case.

Work Sharp.You can do a quick sharpening job. Or you can really put an edge on a blade using all of the belts.
Great tool

As long as you've got electricity…

Indeed.. Lol. Ive got a gaggle if stones from the tri sharps to sets of shapton ceramics for my straight razors to ruby for my 'smithing etc. Not to mention dremels/gessewien wheels coming out my :oops:.
The one thing I really wish I had was a nice full size 2x72" or similar like Mr. blades maker up there. Oh and a strop wheel would be nice. I miss having one of those immensely!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top