JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
So I have a serious question. It's not listed in the rule section.

How many posts does one need before they are allowed to express an opinion or engage in debate around here.

Also, how many posts does one need before he or she is allowed to stand up for themselves and not just take pot shots from members with higher post counts.

If this is listed in the rules and I've missed it, please accept my apologies.

I suspect that members of NWFA have known you a much shorter time than you've known yourself, and they have not yet learned to appreciate the quality of your opinions as much as you have. Give it some time...

:)

Thanks Trailboss, perhaps I should clarify a bit. I don't expect anyone to agree with any of my opinions because I have them.

I'm more curious as to when it's acceptable for others, new members for example, to voice their opinions.

It seems like there's a round count for acceptance system in place here I'm just trying to find the count.

It seems like sometimes, when people post and others post different opinions, they are called names, talked down to and dismissed out of hand.

That type of mentality hardly seems conducive to building a solid member base of 2A supporters.

Thanks Trailboss, perhaps I should clarify a bit. I don't expect anyone to agree with any of my opinions because I have them.

I'm more curious as to when it's acceptable for others, new members for example, to voice their opinions.

It seems like there's a round count for acceptance system in place here I'm just trying to find the count.

It seems like sometimes, when people post and others post different opinions, they are called names, talked down to and dismissed out of hand.

That type of mentality hardly seems conducive to building a solid member base of 2A supporters.

Soj1057, please read what you've written above. You start by stating that you don't expect anyone to agree with your opinions. Then you question when your opinions will be accepted by others.

What does it mean to you to have your opinions accepted by others? Do others need to keep quiet if they disagree with you? Do others need to agree with your opinions in order for you to be accepted?

Stop and think about this for a bit. A new member joins the site and states an opinion. No one knows the new member and so no value is given to the opinion because of past history. Unless the opinion is of obvious quality or wisdom, it will be considered for what it is. An opinion of an unknown person.

Give it time and try to voice quality advise or wise opinions and others will notice.

"It seems like sometimes, when people post and others post different opinions, they are called names, talked down to and dismissed out of hand."

It's got nothing to do with post count....its got to do with the occasional newer posters using a caustic arrogance and exhibiting an inability to grasp that they are actually the problem that they are complaining about.
In other words, discussions usually go south when someone gets on the figurative elevator and then decides to push all the buttons just to see the reaction...and they then act all innocent and traumatized because the other passengers reacted negatively... as would be expected.

Then there's the apparent inability to just let it go.....so you mouthed off to someone and they commented that you didn't have enough history to be so presumptuous. Big deal, I don't see him still whining about you calling him an old man....

Last Edited:
"Fair enough. I get your guy's message. If you don't agree you are the problem. Won't happen again"

Nope, try again...you're still blaming.
This time we think of how tact can get a point across.
("tact" almost as rare as cheap 22lr)

OK. Time for a lighthearted end, with a fun (true) story....

When, after a long, heated debate, and during a subsequent conversation with a prominent female opposition Member of Parliament, Prime Minister, Benjamin Disraeli was told, "If you were my husband, sir...I would put poison in your tea!".
To which he replied, " Madame, if you were my wife... I'd drink it!"

He could have called her an old hag, stupid or complained about how she picked on him... or worse yet, revisited the entire debate again, and again.

The hardest thing I had to learn here was when to quit and just let it go.....
So now this is me...
letting go.

I'm not blaming anyone... You both made it clear that unless a person says the right thing and in the right manner they aren't welcome. Like earlier when Taku called me all kinds of names and told me I had no right make comments since I had a low post count. I get it, if you go along with the winning team it's OK, if you disagree or stand up for yourself you are wrong.

I think a lot of you confuse things like "Caustic Arrogance" with having unpopular or different opinions. For the record, again, I'm not at all concerned with acceptance of opinions, like I said before. It has more to do with the fact that people post on a public forum and the when people disagree or engage in debate they throw a little fit and start name calling and talking down to people. That's beyond not accepting an opinion, that's acting like a 5 year old.

These are the same members who call for bans and admin interdiction when they start to feel threatened by different opinions. It's sad.

At any rate it's a non point. I see now that when certain people post, they don't want discussion they just want others to jump on their tip.

There are a lot of really interesting and good people here, there's a few dipbubblegums too, too bad they are usually the loudest.

Last Edited:
Then there's the apparent inability to just let it go.....so you mouthed off to someone and they commented that you didn't have enough history to be so presumptuous. Big deal, I don't see him still whining about you calling him an old man....

For the record, what I'm referring to has nothing to do with that and a lot more to do with what happened with another member and his personal attacks. But I should just roll on that one because I'm a "new member" right?

It's over. Like I said, I get it now. No worries.

"Fair enough. I get your guy's message. If you don't agree you are the problem. Won't happen again"

Nope, try again...you're still blaming.
This time we think of how tact can get a point across.
("tact" almost as rare as cheap 22lr)

OK. Time for a lighthearted end, with a fun (true) story....

When, after a long, heated debate, and during a subsequent conversation with a prominent female opposition Member of Parliament, Prime Minister, Benjamin Disraeli was told, "If you were my husband, sir...I would put poison in your tea!".
To which he replied, " Madame, if you were my wife... I'd drink it!"

He could have called her an old hag, stupid or complained about how she picked on him... or worse yet, revisited the entire debate again, and again.

The hardest thing I had to learn here was when to quit and just let it go.....
So now this is me...
letting go.

But Gunny Dawg, it can't be that easy???? Can it????

I hate the World, so I will drink poison to get back at them...

I like the Churchill line.... Upon hearing he was a ~Drunk~

"Yes my dear, but tomorrow, I will be sober, and you....."

philip, Oathkeeper since 1958 o_O

I'm not blaming anyone... You both made it clear that unless a person says the right thing and in the right manner they aren't welcome. Like earlier when Taku called me all kinds of names and told me I had no right make comments since I had a low post count. I get it, if you go along with the winning team it's OK, if you disagree or stand up for yourself you are wrong.

LOL......Now you've learned the good lesson, don't respond to TAKU.

How many posts does it take to be taken seriously? Well probably any less than 10 or 20 and folks will not be sure if your a troll yet, By the time you get to fifty its obvious that you are contributing.

You got to remember this is like any other large group of people. You will click with some and clash with others. Some will end up friends and some you will just learn to steer clear of. It has nothing to do with this site, ANY group large enough will end up the same way. Its just the way things are.

My best strategy for posting on any forum is to imagine everyone in the thread sitting around a camp fire or living room drinking beers and smiling. Then if that does not work, dont be afraid to use the ignore button.

One does not get to be a butthead because one has wasted more of their life on this forum.

So I have a serious question. It's not listed in the rule section.

How many posts does one need before they are allowed to express an opinion or engage in debate around here.

Also, how many posts does one need before he or she is allowed to stand up for themselves and not just take pot shots from members with higher post counts.

If this is listed in the rules and I've missed it, please accept my apologies.

There are a few members on here that have stronger and different opinions than the rest of some members on here.. And depending on the topic there are guys on here that all agree 99% of the time but that one subject they dont agree on.

I dont think its personal at all brother.
Ive been on the receiving end of scrutiny here. We have had a lot of new members come and either post false information, bait or otherwise cause arguements just for their own enjoyment.. Perhaps your posts were looked at in that light?

Stick around long enough, its all good.
New posts to have fun with and express your opinions. The mods are pretty good at shutting down both sides of an opinion when a debate goes too far on a thread and goes off topic.

Trust me, so long as you support 2A rights and everything that entails you're still a welcomed member. Thats what this whole site is about. :) opinions on other subjects will always differ, so no worries.

Edit*
It could be worse, this could be AR15com or Warriortalkforum.. Those sites are awash with tools.

Last Edited:
Well this is an interesting thread. I'm not exactly sure what to make of it. All I can say is that I've been ignored and listened to since the day I started here. Some comments get a response, some don't. I've never really taken it personally (with the exception of a few instances when someone took a dig at me - but that's rare), I realize this is a public forum with members from all different walks of life, with different opinions and points of view. I don't assume people will like what I have to say and I don't expect I will like what others say. And to me, post count has little to do with it. So what if a person has 10 posts or 1,000, that doesn't mean they don't have something valuable to say.

As to those that imply you don't get an opinion because of a low post count, well, guess what, that's just their opinion, period. Honestly, if you're going to be on a public forum, you've got to have enough of a thick skin to not get offended at every little comment made your way. I sometimes get irritated at what is said, but not offended. We have too many folks in this world that get easily offended, I'd like to see that go away.

Now, I'll leave you with a piece of advice. I'm a member on several forums, but only really active on two - this being one of them. When I join a new forum, I rarely jump in with intense stuff first. I look around and try to get to know the personality of the forum and of it's members. I like to know what seems to go over well and what doesn't. When I start posting, I tend to keep it simple at first, leaving the more controversial stuff for later. I can say from personal experience that no forum I've been on takes kindly to someone with only a few posts coming in and criticizing the forum and it's members before they really have a chance to know you. It's common sense really. If you were to walk into a group of folks you don't know, would you just start spouting controversial opinions before you got to know the group first? Probably not. But once you get to know them and they know you, it's likely they'll be more open to hearing what you have to say. None of that is unique to this forum, it's just good forum etiquette.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads