JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you guys in OR don't think that "Pink Floyd" is coming for you......well, just look north.

Yes, we do have our very own "Floyd" to lookout for. Between Floyd P and Ginny B, they intend to have us all "qualify" for gun ownership with the Texas CHL test, carry gun owners insurance, and be subject to random home inspections for "safe storage". Betsy Johnson has been the Dem voice of reason, but with the losses yesterday, I'm afraid she's not going to be enough to hold off the gun grabbers.

Time to put the legislature address shortcut back on the desktop and start drafting letters n preparation for the onslaught. We'll need all the help we can get from OFF, SAF, GOA, and NRA. I know we can count on Alan Gottleib and Kevin Starrett. But as we just saw in Washington, will it be enough?

I don't like the idea that we are now just waiting for the impending gun control wave to engulf us. Why isn't there already a petition in the works to get some amendments proposed much like I-591? and if there is, why haven't I heard about it yet?

Defeatists it seems are as much of a threat as the opposition.

Have you forgotten house bill 3200 from march 2013 already? If passed that one gave you four whole months to figure out if you were within the law or not once the Gov signed it due to "emergency" clauses. Sure OFF and others would file immediate lawsuits but you can bet they'd start digging through their lists from background checks and start arresting people at opportune times.

That proposed law was fairly clear cut but still would cause problems. Is a .22 LR weapon that can use 10+ round mags an assault weapon only if you own those "high capacity" mags or is it legal if you just own 1-10 round mags? You could have one registered "assault weapon" which was any gun with 10+ round mags. They even included lever actions in the law. Anything that could hold over 10 rounds.

The Seattle zombies all voted yes because "Background Check, Good" and did not bother to read any of the 18 pages of restrictions.

The best way to avoid this in Oregon is to share stories of I594 overreach and ordinary citizens getting tripped up by the BS restrictions.

WA and OR are CA wannabe's. Since moving to Pugetropolis in 1986, we've watched what we considered a fairly moderate state go hard left. I'm glad our short term plans do not include being part of any of these states.

The latest mailout from OFF isn't particularly reassuring is it?

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/2014-elections

"Oregon Firearms Federation is a political organization. Our focus is on winning political battles through activism. But we cannot underestimate the threats to your rights based on the changes in the Oregon Legislature and the introduction of limitless funds by those who want to steal your freedom. While we urge you to prepare for the political battles ahead and be a part of this fight, you should also consider making any preparations now to deal with potential bans and confiscations."

The latest mailout from OFF isn't particularly reassuring is it?

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/2014-elections

"Oregon Firearms Federation is a political organization. Our focus is on winning political battles through activism. But we cannot underestimate the threats to your rights based on the changes in the Oregon Legislature and the introduction of limitless funds by those who want to steal your freedom. While we urge you to prepare for the political battles ahead and be a part of this fight, you should also consider making any preparations now to deal with potential bans and confiscations."

The whole situation isn't reassuring. Kevin is just being honest, which I appreciate from a political organization.

With the Dems picking up more seats here in Oregon, we can expect that Ginny Burdick is licking her chops and there will be many gun control measures brought to the floor in the next session. And they may well pass. Universal background checks is the least of our worries. Ban AR's, ban magazines, ban everything else she can. My son's 10/22 has a thumb hole stock, it will be banned for that evil feature. Hopefully, it won't go so far to require us to remove currently owned firearms or mags from the state, but if she gets her way, it will.
Been putting this off, but I think I need to move now and pickup a few 30 round mags for my HK handguns since I may not be able to get them later. Not panic buying, just gives me the nudge I needed to buy something I have been wanting but did not want to spend the $ on right now. Now I know what I want for Christmas. Hopefully Ms Santa will agree. :D

I am right there with ya Hawaiian! Just don't know where it is safe to move to anymore.. I left NY in 95 and apparently the crazy has tracked us down. I just do not understand why people smart enough to fill out a ballot would be so stupid as to fall for the BS. Of course the real fault I feel is the fact that people just don't vote. Look at the numbers, so few people deciding everything just because the majority won't be bothered to fill out a form or go to a voting booth. Freaking shameful.

Have you forgotten house bill 3200 from march 2013 already? If passed that one gave you four whole months to figure out if you were within the law or not once the Gov signed it due to "emergency" clauses. Sure OFF and others would file immediate lawsuits but you can bet they'd start digging through their lists from background checks and start arresting people at opportune times.

That proposed law was fairly clear cut but still would cause problems. Is a .22 LR weapon that can use 10+ round mags an assault weapon only if you own those "high capacity" mags or is it legal if you just own 1-10 round mags? You could have one registered "assault weapon" which was any gun with 10+ round mags. They even included lever actions in the law. Anything that could hold over 10 rounds.

Nothing to stand in Floyd & Ginny's way now. The stinking turd of a Bill they are writing up as we speak will make us wish I-594 was ours.
They won't even need outside Billions to get it passed either! The Sheeple have spoken this Election, they want a big govt. Nanny State obviously.

There are a few things we can leverage, even if legislation gets passed next year:
  • Fewer than 50% of registered voters vote, so even if we traditional Oregonians are outnumbered we can still outvote the opposition. Instead of giving booze to drunks, maybe we hand out .22 LR? Just kidding, but we need to mobilize and keep focused.
  • Marijuana legislation passed. This means that a fair amount of liberal voters have nothing left to achieve and no longer need to vote, even if they can still remember what that is or was or, hey look at that! Got any munchies?
  • We have time to get involved with other aspects of voting like working to ensure that dead people are off the voter rolls, etc., and that the process is fair.
  • Further, in 2016, we should put all our efforts into making a statement of Ginny Burdick's re-election campaign. As a good buddy once told me "If you are going to kill one of the chickens, make sure the monkeys watch". Each election cycle we need to focus all efforts on just one and be successful.
We need a long term outlook and keep chipping away at out goal. That's how the left has won so far and we need to learn from them, at least on this.

Like I said in my original post I have 8 to 9 years before I can retire. I'm sure whatever going to happen will happen long before then.
I've not missed casting my vote since 88.
I can assure you I will vote in any election that comes up .
If this state goes the way of California ( and I don't see how you can be so sure it won't) I wanted to know what your / everyones plans would be.
That was the point of this post. No different than any other SHTF scenario.

In all fairness I didn't really say I'm sure Oregon won't go the way of California, just that one can't be sure that it will and that it's best to try and prevent it instead of accepting defeat already. I guess therein lies the difference in our perspectives, you have 8 years till retirement and I have 4 or even 5 times that long till retirement. I want to be a freer person then than I am today.

What happened with the NRA on this? I did not see much support.

They will be in on the legal challenge. They don't get active too much in states that have strong 2nd Amendment organizations that usually handle these fights and they generally come in afterward if there is an issue such as this is now.
Unless every member donates something every month they cannot be in every state on every issue. They put the manpower to places that have the most impact on a national level.

Still the NRA has done a Hundred times more for preserving the 2nd and every other gun issue than all the other organizations put together. They are just not funded to be everywhere all the time. It is not really fair to expect them to unless you wish to donate to them all the time to keep them operational. People do what they can, but too many do nothing to support them..
I believe now you will see them involved in fighting this in the courts. Or they will be backing those that do.

The good gentlemen at OFF are in the Capitol all the time letting these a$$holes know that they are watching. We need to stick together, put our money where our mouths are and show up in significant numbers when Kevin puts the word out about a session in Salem or a rally somewhere.

Are you a member of OFF? Donated money lately? No? Then get to it or shut the hell up. And don't get upset because Democrats are running the show. You think we'd be safe with a Republican as governor? Ronald Reagan and the 1986 Machine Gun Act ring a bell?

There are a few things we can leverage, even if legislation gets passed next year:
  • Marijuana legislation passed. This means that a fair amount of liberal voters have nothing left to achieve and no longer need to vote, even if they can still remember what that is or was or, hey look at that! Got any munchies?
The funny thing is this above is probably the only hope for the state. Sadly, you know Froyd knows this too. I doubt they will have it go out as a ballot measure.

The fact of the matter is, we have no recourse. Even if we turn up in troves in opposition the D's will not listen. They have tried EVERY TERM to push items like banning guns in schools, background checks, and much more. Look at it this way: the Oregon legislature has sole authority to regulate such. We don't have the House, the Senate, or the Veto. Simply put, we are bubblegumed.

As for the folks calling people who have an ounce of reality defeatists you all need to look at the signs or at least know how the legislative process works. Just because we know what is going to happen does not mean we will stop calling or voting.

1337BaldEagle

Burdick was on the news last night crowing about how they will finally pass the bills they want. Don't remember everything she said, but she did hit on keeping guns away from abusers, stalkers, and mentally ill. She also says that she has plenty of support from reasonable gun owners and that not all gun owners are extremists. You can bet that the end result that she wants will be doctors reporting to the government and that the government will run a check for gun ownership. Of course, the only way to enforce that is with registration.

I agree with others that say the next attempt may very well make I-594 look mild.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top