JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Like many, I was in the queue for my background check last Tuesday, I was 7,090 in line just off the phone with my FFL today, I'm 6,783, which amounts to almost 5 business days. The state has processed 307 background checks or about 61 a day some other posts mention they should be able to process about 500 a day. I really don't know if the 500 a day is accurate but it seems like they should be able to process way more than 61 a day?

Any insights on all this?

To keep it simple, the national NICS BGC system that MOST states use directly return approximately 90 percent of background checks Instantly, and approximately 98 percent within 3 days. Oregon in 2020 processed only 19 percent in 0-3 days, and had 41 percent processed in 121 to 365 days. Big diff huh? How can this be?? Oregon has created its own State so-called "Instant" check system, that significantly delays the process. That's really it in nutshell, if you like more info read on.

Oregon is one of a few states that set itself as a full POC state. The State is the Point of Contact (POC) and a FFL contacts the State for the background check rather than directly contact the NICS Section. Oregon in loving to create/maintain its own inefficient bureaucracies sets itself up as the department managing (or perhaps "mismanaging"?) the background checks. In most states the FFL contacts the NCIS directly, with no direct State involvement.

NCIS
NICS system was designed to instantly respond to NICS background check inquiries, submitted by FFLs, of prospective firearm transferees. In most States the FFLs contact the NICS Section directly to initiate the required NICS background checks using NICS E-Check via the Internet or the NCCC (NCIS's contracted call center)-via telephone. There are 37 States that have FFLs contact NCIS directly.

How well does it work?
Well, The U.S. Attorney General requested the NICS Section strive to maintain a 90 percent rate of immediate determinations. (Source 2020-21 NCIS Operational Report)
Here's the important part
In 2019, 89.44% of the tens of millions NICS checks done annually are completed immediately, just over 10% of NICS checks are "delayed."
• The vast majority (88%) of delayed NICS checks are resolved within three business days and 94% within 10 days. ( Data from 2021 report by National Shooting Sports Foundation NSSF)
So if you do the percentage math, approximately 98 percent get processed within 3 days.

So lets contrast that with Oregon's latest data from their own 2020 report, only 11 percent made it thu in 0-3 days and a whopping 41 percent took 121-365 days. They do show a 5 year average of 38 percent making it thru in 0-3 days. That is a far cry from the NCIS nationwide averages of well over 90 percent in 3 days. Oregon has chosen to "roll their own with their own process that is horribly inefficient and is a far cry from an Instant check. They seem to recognize that their system is significantly constrained by its own internal screens/or processes by the following statement from OSPs FICS report "While the majority of web requests require FICS staff to review and complete the check, some checks can be completed automatically without the need for staff assistance, under the right circumstances." This clearly shows that with the sideboards they have set up the expectation is that relatively few (some?) will be able to process automatically thru the State so called "Instant" process. That is directly opposed to the expectation (and results) the US Attorney General has for the FBI's NCIS system (90 percent Instant). The great majority of BGC's processed by Oregons FCIS division do not process in 3 days, the national NCIS systems processes 98 percent in 0-3 days

I don't know if that disparity is a result of system design, incompetence, or poor State criminal databases that need manual processing or are not feeding data to the NCIS system.. The OCP FCIS system does access the FBI's NCIS databases. It is apparently the processing at the State level and State databases that incur the delays.

The State must be concerned that legally there could be hundreds of thousands of firearms transferred annually legally to Oregon purchasers due to the State's inefficient system that keeps the large majority of checks from clearing in 3 days. That would be a PR disaster for the OSP FCIS division, thankfully (for the State) most of the gun dealers have been buffaloed into not releasing firearms. They must the fear that the gun dealers revolt against the ineffectual State system and legally release firearms meanwhile mounting a PR campaign of their own. putting the onus on the OCP FCIS system for being grossly inefficient and lax in effectively processing background checks. But the State has thrown themselves a lifeline, salvation is found in the OR114 legislation that removes that 3 day provision and essentially rewards the horrendously inefficient State background check system.

With the current glacial slowdown of BGC processing, The OSP FCIS division has shown a willingness to delay and obstruct the processing of background checks. They have created a system specifically to facilitate that. Keep in mind if the 114 goes into effect they will have two chances to really delay your purchase, 1) BGC needed for purchase permit, and 2)BGC needed at the time of intended gun purchase, and there is no time constraint. Also 114 nicely creates a whole new level of bureaucracy, that of the local law enforcement entity, so now you have 3 layers that have to be navigated;
Local, State, and Federal. And then of course 114 creates this whole new permit bureaucracy to suck up even more personnel and tax $$.

Frankly not only is 114 potentially unconstitutional, I also believe the current Oregon system is also, due to its apparent intentional or at least inability to process BGCs as congress intended. It is nothing less than an undue restriction of the 2nd​ amendment. There is a remedy, simply allow FFLs to directly interface with the NCIS system avoid the State roadblock of needless redundancy.

Yep. And now ask yourself why all of a sudden anti gun folks were championing to get rid of the 3 day rule that FFL dealers could use if they chose to..
People want to claim its a coincidence and we're conspiracy theorists.. but the writing is on the wall as to what they are up to.

When demand surges, they should have brought in more people to get the job done.. I guess thats a private sector mentality.. State employees must just want to do the bare minimum.

Yep. And now ask yourself why all of a sudden anti gun folks were championing to get rid of the 3 day rule that FFL dealers could use if they chose to..
People want to claim its a coincidence and we're conspiracy theorists.. but the writing is on the wall as to what they are up to.

When demand surges, they should have brought in more people to get the job done.. I guess thats a private sector mentality.. State employees must just want to do the bare minimum.
In this circumstance it appears "they" are INTENTIONALLY delaying a constitutional right. And "they" are INTENTIONALLY doing so against a court order.

Sounds like collusion & conspiracy charges should be looked into. Which can be a felony. Like racketeering.

Government employees are know to have two speeds and if you don't like this one (slow) you're really gonna hate the other one (stop).
Yes. However they were trucking along at their "normal" pace, now they are not. Someone, or someone's told them to stop.

Plus, they eliminated the separate CHL queue. All after the court ordered stay.

Of course they are doing a deliberate stall
Average processing in 2020 was 8400 a WEEK, that's the average so some weeks likely much higher.
Compare that to what folks have been reporting lately....
Now they have significantly more staff....there is deliberate obstruction going on.
This is with the current Oregon system (not the OR114), it's because Oregon has created its own background check system and does not let FFLs contact the national NICS database directly (which has a 98 percent clearance in 0-3 days).

Like many, I was in the queue for my background check last Tuesday, I was 7,090 in line just off the phone with my FFL today, I'm 6,783, which amounts to almost 5 business days. The state has processed 307 background checks or about 61 a day some other posts mention they should be able to process about 500 a day. I really don't know if the 500 a day is accurate but it seems like they should be able to process way more than 61 a day?

Any insights on all this?
2020 with less staff they processed an AVERAGE of over 8400 a WEEK, over 1000 a day

To keep it simple, the national NICS BGC system that MOST states use directly return approximately 90 percent of background checks Instantly, and approximately 98 percent within 3 days. Oregon in 2020 processed only 19 percent in 0-3 days, and had 41 percent processed in 121 to 365 days. Big diff huh? How can this be?? Oregon has created its own State so-called "Instant" check system, that significantly delays the process. That's really it in nutshell, if you like more info read on.

Oregon is one of a few states that set itself as a full POC state. The State is the Point of Contact (POC) and a FFL contacts the State for the background check rather than directly contact the NICS Section. Oregon in loving to create/maintain its own inefficient bureaucracies sets itself up as the department managing (or perhaps "mismanaging"?) the background checks. In most states the FFL contacts the NCIS directly, with no direct State involvement.

NCIS
NICS system was designed to instantly respond to NICS background check inquiries, submitted by FFLs, of prospective firearm transferees. In most States the FFLs contact the NICS Section directly to initiate the required NICS background checks using NICS E-Check via the Internet or the NCCC (NCIS's contracted call center)-via telephone. There are 37 States that have FFLs contact NCIS directly.

How well does it work?
Well, The U.S. Attorney General requested the NICS Section strive to maintain a 90 percent rate of immediate determinations. (Source 2020-21 NCIS Operational Report)
Here's the important part
In 2019, 89.44% of the tens of millions NICS checks done annually are completed immediately, just over 10% of NICS checks are "delayed."
• The vast majority (88%) of delayed NICS checks are resolved within three business days and 94% within 10 days. ( Data from 2021 report by National Shooting Sports Foundation NSSF)
So if you do the percentage math, approximately 98 percent get processed within 3 days.

So lets contrast that with Oregon's latest data from their own 2020 report, only 11 percent made it thu in 0-3 days and a whopping 41 percent took 121-365 days. They do show a 5 year average of 38 percent making it thru in 0-3 days. That is a far cry from the NCIS nationwide averages of well over 90 percent in 3 days. Oregon has chosen to "roll their own with their own process that is horribly inefficient and is a far cry from an Instant check. They seem to recognize that their system is significantly constrained by its own internal screens/or processes by the following statement from OSPs FICS report "While the majority of web requests require FICS staff to review and complete the check, some checks can be completed automatically without the need for staff assistance, under the right circumstances." This clearly shows that with the sideboards they have set up the expectation is that relatively few (some?) will be able to process automatically thru the State so called "Instant" process. That is directly opposed to the expectation (and results) the US Attorney General has for the FBI's NCIS system (90 percent Instant). The great majority of BGC's processed by Oregons FCIS division do not process in 3 days, the national NCIS systems processes 98 percent in 0-3 days

I don't know if that disparity is a result of system design, incompetence, or poor State criminal databases that need manual processing or are not feeding data to the NCIS system.. The OCP FCIS system does access the FBI's NCIS databases. It is apparently the processing at the State level and State databases that incur the delays.

The State must be concerned that legally there could be hundreds of thousands of firearms transferred annually legally to Oregon purchasers due to the State's inefficient system that keeps the large majority of checks from clearing in 3 days. That would be a PR disaster for the OSP FCIS division, thankfully (for the State) most of the gun dealers have been buffaloed into not releasing firearms. They must the fear that the gun dealers revolt against the ineffectual State system and legally release firearms meanwhile mounting a PR campaign of their own. putting the onus on the OCP FCIS system for being grossly inefficient and lax in effectively processing background checks. But the State has thrown themselves a lifeline, salvation is found in the OR114 legislation that removes that 3 day provision and essentially rewards the horrendously inefficient State background check system.

With the current glacial slowdown of BGC processing, The OSP FCIS division has shown a willingness to delay and obstruct the processing of background checks. They have created a system specifically to facilitate that. Keep in mind if the 114 goes into effect they will have two chances to really delay your purchase, 1) BGC needed for purchase permit, and 2)BGC needed at the time of intended gun purchase, and there is no time constraint. Also 114 nicely creates a whole new level of bureaucracy, that of the local law enforcement entity, so now you have 3 layers that have to be navigated;
Local, State, and Federal. And then of course 114 creates this whole new permit bureaucracy to suck up even more personnel and tax $$.

Frankly not only is 114 potentially unconstitutional, I also believe the current Oregon system is also, due to its apparent intentional or at least inability to process BGCs as congress intended. It is nothing less than an undue restriction of the 2nd​ amendment. There is a remedy, simply allow FFLs to directly interface with the NCIS system avoid the State roadblock of needless redundancy.
So is that a separate law suit based on this Undue Restriction on 2nd admensment

Everything Oregon.gov touches turns to bubblegum. If you think this is bad, wait until "healthcare for all" rolls out.
Boy howdy! I regularly have to deal with Oregon DEQ and let's say that it doesn't have to make sense to me, or even make sense, it just happens to be by their rules.

You can't pump your own gas in Oregon and FFLs can't contact NCIS directly. Why? Same reason. Jobs for Oregonians. It's a statewide psychosis. :s0154:

Wait, it's not just "Jobs for Oregonians", trust me. It's the sucking up of money in the name of "Jobs".
When I first moved here, I was doing Physical Security / Security Electronics. I worked on Capitol Hill in DC. I was not required to have an electricians license to do 'low voltage' work. BUT, in Oregon, they require a license to do that sort of work. Why, because it's one more way to extract cash from the people of this state to do things not in their interest. THAT's WHY!!!

It sounds the recipe for a RICO case.
Yah, that's the legalese term that was escaping me. Thanks!

-Judge has put a temporary injunction on all of 114, however the state police "all of a sudden" stopped doing hardly any background checks. Easily some type of corruption going at OSP to cause this.

Also, apparently all new BGC's in the queue have an immediate 3 month delay. That wasn't in effect before M114, so such should not be in affect during the injunction either...

Further the combining of the CHL & non-CHL queue's. Regardless of how one feels about the different queue's. It's new, since the injunction...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top