JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For me...all range brass gets stored in a bin, nice tall yellow bins that cat litter comes in. Once I am low on RTL(Ready to Load) brass I run a batch, usually 1k-1.2k cases. They are run quickly in my tumbler(no ss pins) to remove dirt/grime and keep my dies nice. Then they are lubed by hand giving me a chance to inspect them and put through my 650 and deprimed, sized, and trimmed. Then they are tumbled in stainless pins/dawn/lemishine/ and a few drops of degreaser. Once dried they are stored in bags until I load them.

Once I'm ready to load them they go through my 1050, swaged, primed, charged with H335, seated, and crimped. I only load 55gr and have been using xtreme but with the prices I have seen them at I think once my stock is low I'll start using Hornady.

For me...all range brass gets stored in a bin, nice tall yellow bins that cat litter comes in. Once I am low on RTL(Ready to Load) brass I run a batch, usually 1k-1.2k cases. They are run quickly in my tumbler(no ss pins) to remove dirt/grime and keep my dies nice. Then they are lubed by hand giving me a chance to inspect them and put through my 650 and deprimed, sized, and trimmed. Then they are tumbled in stainless pins/dawn/lemishine/ and a few drops of degreaser. Once dried they are stored in bags until I load them.

Once I'm ready to load them they go through my 1050, swaged, primed, charged with H335, seated, and crimped. I only load 55gr and have been using xtreme but with the prices I have seen them at I think once my stock is low I'll start using Hornady.

Sounds like you got quite the operation going on there.

To process 1k-1.2k range brass to RTL, how long does it take?

To process 1k-1.2k range brass to RTL, how long does it take?

I tumble without pins for 30 min or so. 1200 cases take about 2 hours or maybe 2 1/2 hours at the press, then I tumble with pins for 2-3 hours. I'm always doing something else while cases are tumbling though, and I can tumble up to about 1400 .223 cases at a time. I use a home built tumbler with a drum made out of 6" drain pipe.

I tumble without pins for 30 min or so. 1200 cases take about 2 hours or maybe 2 1/2 hours at the press, then I tumble with pins for 2-3 hours. I'm always doing something else while cases are tumbling though, and I can tumble up to about 1400 .223 cases at a time. I use a home built tumbler with a drum made out of 6" drain pipe.
do you measure/trim your brass?

do you measure/trim your brass?

I do not measure it. I keep a toolhead for the Dillon 650 setup just for case prep. Station one is a lee universal decap die, station three is a Dillon rt1200 trimmer which also sizes the case, and station five is a .223 size die that is turned up so it does not size the case but I modified the expander which goes inside he neck so that it breaks off any material left inside the neck after trimming. So basically everything goes through the trimmer reguardless of length. Before cases go into the casefeeder they are lubed with imperial wax and inspected for loose/missing primers indicating the pocket is blown out, cracked necks, and case damage from being stepped on or something.

I do not measure it. I keep a toolhead for the Dillon 650 setup just for case prep. Station one is a lee universal decap die, station three is a Dillon rt1200 trimmer which also sizes the case, and station five is a .223 size die that is turned up so it does not size the case but I modified the expander which goes inside he neck so that it breaks off any material left inside the neck after trimming. So basically everything goes through the trimmer reguardless of length. Before cases go into the casefeeder they are lubed with imperial wax and inspected for loose/missing primers indicating the pocket is blown out, cracked necks, and case damage from being stepped on or something.
you have any picture of your setup

you have any picture of your setup
It's a mess right now, been mostly loading for my bolt guns recently.

IMG_2126.JPG IMG_2127.JPG

Oh man, don't let that happen!!!! Your cabinet idea is a great one. I love cabinets and make full use of mine in my garage:

3dOymf9.jpg

Speaking of 223, here's a little range pickup brass that I cleaned up:
gwFD55A.jpg
VHYJsZJ.jpg
I picked up over 1,200 pcs (Federal and PMC) one time. Now I just step over the stuff when I go out and shoot. Loading for the 223 is enjoyable, except for the brass prep :eek:

One thing I've learned about the 223 is it's not real finicky, one of the main reasons I save time by dropping charges right from the uni-flo powder measure. It doesn't take long at all to load up a few hundred rounds at a whack. Just to show you guys how accurate some of these loads are, here's some targets I shot with a couple different AR's and that range brass in the above pic:
L5ZH2qD.jpg

lFEsNjg.jpg

When loading for the little .223 rem, keep is simple..... When loading accurate .223 rem, prep your brass right (don't cut corners) and proper load work up is key... vkI6iIY.jpg 3IJDBrp.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top