JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I used to be fairly slack about cleaning dies. So long as they'd work and weren't scratching the brass, I'd use them. I'd stop and clean a die when it no longer worked as it should. For example, when loading cast bullets, an accumulation of dried lube in the bullet seating die might be needed mid process.

When I downsized a few years ago, I cleaned redundant dies in order to sell them. It was then that I discovered just how dirty they can be while not appearing externally to be so. It's especially important to keep the sizing die clean to minimize scratching of the case.

Another issue is, I use RCBS water soluble sizing lube. Which so far as I know doesn't have any rust inhibiting qualities. So if I don't anticipate using the sizing die any time in the near future, I clean it out with lacquer thinner and shoot a bit of cheap, Walmart spray lube into the die shell. I also clean off the sizing button. The spray lube is light, leaves a film but not anything viscous that would attract much dust. Before I use the sizing die again, I spray the cavity out and wipe it down with long stem Q tips.

One more thing, it's a good idea to clean new dies out before using them. I've noticed that new dies sometimes have residual dirty machine oil inside them. I use lacquer thinner for this job.

Almost every other use… maybe 3. I really only load 100-120 each cartridge at a time so every 200-250 rnd or so. Break/breach solvent, compressed air q-tip/swab things; with a good light.
Lee quick trim die…. Blow out (compressed air) and swabs every 20-30 cuts?
I've only reloaded un-tumbled brass once…. That's dirty , rest is really clean.

After each use before putting them away unless I'm only doing ten or so with clean brass and boat tail jacketed bullets that minimize any scraping.
But if the brass is dirty and using flat bottom lead bullets prone to scraping off metal I clean them even if only doing ten.
I also clean them during large runs with can air spray and check with mirror and light for any build up residue that may be needing addressed.
Among others I know well, when it comes to things like reloading, I'm an anomaly ripe endure their friendly ridicule. Overkill is a word they like to use, you can decide.

I use clean brass
It never occurred to me that someone might skip the brass cleaning step and go directly to sizing. But since human activity is involved, I guess we can expect anything. Those who engage in this practice must not have read the reloading manuals.

It isn't all that difficult to scratch a steel die. Even if clean brass is involved, lube contamination can occur from a dirty lube pad or from dust, etc., on the work bench. I've seen enough scratched dies for sale at gun shows, etc. Personally, I don't like to use scratched dies.

Another point of cleanliness. Brushing out the neck of rifle cartridge cases before sizing. Especially if you don't lube inside the neck. If this isn't done, carbon dust from the sizing ball scraping in and out can contaminate the inside of the die. Of course you also get a more orderly seating of the bullet into a clean neck. I use plastic or bronze bore brushes to clean necks.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews