JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
...... figured what little I could pay was an insult; I found out later that they sold it to someone else for even less.
Usually if I am making low end offer I will typically say something along the lines of, "I know this is wroth more, but this is what it is worth to me".

Another key is letting people know what you plan on doing with it. Some are interested in money and think you are just going to flip it and dont like that, other have sentimental value. If you plan on keeping it and using it, sharing that can help.

Other times I find something I am interested in and I will mostly follow the first approach. I will tell them I am interested, but my price is $$$ and is a standing offer if they do not sell and I tell them I hope they get their full value.

All 3 of these have worked well for me and usually keep the drama/possible hurt feelings out of it.

Are these items something that you are going to use...or have a use for...?
Do you think you can get these items cheap enough ...and then turn around and sell them for a profit...?

I ask because...
You post a lot about your buying habits , lack of storage...and more telling...
You have self admitted here on the forum that you have habit of buying and hoarding.

Ask yourself why are wanting these things...
Do you have something like it already...?
If you do ...do you use that item...?
If you do...Will these things do anything different or better than what you already have...?

If you don't have anything like this....
Do you have a need for it...?
Do you have room for it...?
Can it be turned into something you do need or have a use for..?

In any event....
In regards to estate sales....
Research before you go...The internet is full of information ...and if this "deal" goes away while you research...
there will be more "deals" later.
Plan your purchases....don't impulse buy....
Decide on what you want , need , will use...versus what is attracting you at that moment....
Look for specific things...

And as always...
Something is only a good deal if you have an actual use for it.
Andy

Sigmund, is that YOU?! :eek:

:s0140:

Good points that will fall on deaf ears. Or blind eyes I guess. :D

…. and land in an empty wallet.

:s0108:

Enough for these and a few other things.

View attachment 1863246
I see what you did there.
FzzPYQIaMAMA-HO.png

I've made a few estate-type bulk buys over the years. In my experiences, the sellers usually started the ball rolling as to price. I'm not interested unless the material is very inexpensive. Because I figure in how much time is involved with unloading the unwanted material. It's been years since I wanted to have a table at the gun show, that's way too time consuming. Gun junk that is allowed on ebay sells for stupid prices so that's where I've sold most of the unwanted small stuff that comes my way.

I've made a few estate-type bulk buys over the years. In my experiences, the sellers usually started the ball rolling as to price. I'm not interested unless the material is very inexpensive. Because I figure in how much time is involved with unloading the unwanted material. It's been years since I wanted to have a table at the gun show, that's way too time consuming. Gun junk that is allowed on ebay sells for stupid prices so that's where I've sold most of the unwanted small stuff that comes my way.
This is was what occurred today. I asked him how much he was hoping to get for the lot. His reply was "4 to 5 hundred". I looked it over for a couple of minutes and told him I would do $400 for the lot. He said that would be fine. Deal was done.

It's unlikely I will be reselling the primers as there was over 15lbs of powder in the lot. About half the powder was faster pistol powder and that will require a lot of primers to use up. There was a mostly filled jug of Data 2200 powder which I had been looking for.

The cool thing now is that you can go to Gun Shows and ask 150% of what retail is on primers. Everywhere I go I hear "you can't get primers anymore, the aliens are in league with the Russians to deprive the Ukrainian reloaders!!!" "Oh here is a box of 86 for $15, oh and don't mind the water damage on the box, these are perfect for you, youngster." Then I go to Ace Hardware and buy 100 new in the box for $11.03 including tax. Every time I see it, and I saw it a bunch at Coeur d'Alene this weekend, I check my phone because I think I am the crazy one, but nope there it is $9.99 for a box of 100. In stock to boot...

Sorry that was my own small rant on reloading supplies, I did not mean to hijack, congrats on the buy, hopefully you got plenty of 31 ought 7 projectiles for all the blown out Garands I bought for $3000 each at the same gun show.

Some of the estate-type sales that I've gotten into have allowed me to try out stuff that I would've never bought otherwise. One deal involved an auction, which I bid on and got several lots at good prices. Including one of those Forster coaxial presses. Which cost like gold but I'd heard good things about over the years. Tried it, didn't like it, moved it along to someone who loved it more. Another batch of stuff I got had several presses. Including a Lyman turret press, which I tried and hated. There was a like new but pretty old RCBS Rock Chucker prototype press that sold for real good money just because it was rare. Then there was one of those CH clunkers that weighs a short ton, even that sold. Another time, I bought a Dillon 550, complete outfit, I didn't have to buy a thing to make it work for me. It had several die sets and the plates, all were calibers that I used. Bunch of accessories. I loaded several thousand rounds with it, but I didn't really like or enjoy it. I sold it for a profit to a guy going to Arizony. There was a Dillon .223 Rem. taper crimp die that I admired and kept. I seem to recall selling the dies separately.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top