JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Are these items something that you are going to use...or have a use for...?
Do you think you can get these items cheap enough ...and then turn around and sell them for a profit...?

I ask because...
You post a lot about your buying habits , lack of storage...and more telling...
You have self admitted here on the forum that you have habit of buying and hoarding.

Ask yourself why are wanting these things...
Do you have something like it already...?
If you do ...do you use that item...?
If you do...Will these things do anything different or better than what you already have...?

If you don't have anything like this....
Do you have a need for it...?
Do you have room for it...?
Can it be turned into something you do need or have a use for..?

In any event....
In regards to estate sales....
Research before you go...The internet is full of information ...and if this "deal" goes away while you research...
there will be more "deals" later.
Plan your purchases....don't impulse buy....
Decide on what you want , need , will use...versus what is attracting you at that moment....
Look for specific things...

And as always...
Something is only a good deal if you have an actual use for it.
Andy

Last Edited:
Are these items something that you are going to use...or have a use for...?
Do you think you can get these items cheap enough ...and then turn around and sell them for a profit...?

I ask because...
You post a lot about your buying habits , lack of storage...and more telling...
You have self admitted here on the forum that you have habit of buying and hoarding.

Ask yourself why are wanting these things...
Do you have something like it already...?
If you do ...do you use that item...?
If you do...Will these things do anything different or better than what you already have...?

If you don't have anything like this....
Do you have a need for it...?
Do you have room for it...?
Can it be turned into something you do need or have a use for..?

In any event....
In regards to estate sales....
Research before you go...The internet is full of information ...and if this "deal" goes away while you research...
there will be more "deals" later.
Plan your purchases....don't impulse buy....
Decide on what you want , need , will use...versus what is attracting you at that moment....
Look for specific things...

And as always...
Something is only a good deal if you have an actual use for it.
Andy
Good points that will fall on deaf ears. Or blind eyes I guess. :D

First - Start out at 33% of what you "think" you can sell something for. Work up from there.

Second - be willing to store/hold the less desirable stuff that you get in the deal, maybe for years. (you might look into renting a storage shed)

Third- Never walk into an estate style buy with less that 10K in your pocket.

And forth and final, what I think is the most important- Have a plan to transport everything the day you buy it (things go missing overnight).

Buddy bought out an ammo hoard in Vancouver back in the day, he couldn't load it all.
After $2,000 he was worried about his E-350 dually suspension making it back up to White Salmon.

Looking back, some of the oddball calibers would have really been valuable.

Thanks for tips. I picked it up for $400. The wife was with me so she shouldn't be disappointed when I reoccupy some living room floor space.
You have living room floor space???

CnLBgtDv_400x400.jpg

Nice knowing what we should expect to see at your estate sale.
If you're lucky you may find a t-mag 2 press, a rockchucker press, a lyman melting pot, factory ammo, powder, projectiles, lyman trimmer, a bunch of dies, and on and on, at my estate sale. It filled my trunk and part of the back seat.

Looks like you made your decision already.

I did a similar thing last fall with the daughter of a neighbor. I went an looked at what was there, decided what part of it I would actually use or be worth something to me. For example there was an about 3.5 gallons of .223 bass which I am likely to use at some point, but it has low value to me since I have a ton.

After doing a fairly quick look though, I told them roughly what they would possibly get if they took the time to separate it all and market it, what is was worth as is and what it was worth to me. To me was worth about 40% of what they possibly could have got at top dollar which was about 60% of what it was worth what they were likely to get with some effort. They took me up on my offer.

I ended up with 2 large totes full of misc reloading stuff, a little bit of loaded ammo, a lot of common caliber brass, a rock chucker with the turret head and a couple thousand rounds of .223 brass for $400.

After doing a good sort though, I did find a Ruger .22 mag cylinder that I had not seen. I did call them up and they had kept that gun so I returned it.

After doing a fairly quick look though, I told them roughly what they would possibly get if they took the time to separate it all and market it, what is was worth as is and what it was worth to me.
That's a very fair and ethical way to do it. I've bought small reloading estates three or four times over the last 30 years. The first time, way back, I overpaid pretty badly. Another time I declined to make an offer because I couldn't afford a lot and figured what little I could pay was an insult; I found out later that they sold it to someone else for even less. Sometimes heirs have unrealistic expectations about value, and others just want to get rid of it all for a few bucks.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top