JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I realize you would end up with a relatively short neck on the fire formed brass. But would it have enough neck tension to hold the projectile for manually feeding each cartridge into the chamber? I have seen photos of the brass after firing a 300 Win Mag cartridge in a 300WBY chamber and it often results in split shoulders. My thought is that by fire forming it with cream of wheat style loads and freshly annealed necks that it might help prevent the split shoulders?

Worky:

1708262021792.jpeg

No worky:

1708262497231.jpeg

Last Edited:
That's really stretching the brass... Can't imagine it's very thick and will hold up well to repeated firings. One way to find out, though

I'd think the neck tension would be horribly inconsistent and weak. Likely the primer would push the bullet out of the case before ignition.

Somewhere I have a case just like show. Took me a moment to figure out what happened. It was one person's mistake. No reason to make it 2 persons mistakes.

The .357 SIG has even less of a neck to work with and it does just fine. Neck tension wouldn't be my primary concern, honestly. Besides, there are crimping dies.

The .357 SIG has even less of a neck to work with and it does just fine. Neck tension wouldn't be my primary concern, honestly. Besides, there are crimping dies.
That 300 win mag neck reminded me of the 357 sig neck. There may not be enough tension to trust loading them in the magazine but maybe enough for hand feeding them.

That 300 win mag neck reminded me of the 357 sig neck. There may not be enough tension to trust loading them in the magazine but maybe enough for hand feeding them.
Almost like an old Schutzen rifle. Put the bullet in the bore, then load powder into the case and insert case in rifle.

Could be done, but what's the actual point? I know Weatherby brass is expensive, but time is valuable, too.

Almost like an old Schutzen rifle. Put the bullet in the bore, then load powder into the case and insert case in rifle.

Could be done, but what's the actual point? I know Weatherby brass is expensive, but time is valuable, too.
The point is, there is no point. That's just the way arakboss is. He will spend literal hours to save $3

The belted magnum's are a whole different animal. Plus the shoulder angel is so much greater on a Weatherby that the WinMag brass would thin out too much I would think to be safe. So my vote is no!

The point is, there is no point. That's just the way arakboss is. He will spend literal hours to save $3
I think you're too generous! "hours to save $.03!" But he's keeping himself, and us, busy with all of these thoughts, so what's the harm?

A former boss was quite the gun collector/hunter. One of his friends bought some 300 Win Mag ammo for his old Winchester. The Winchester Model 70 said 300 Magnum on the barrel, but this box of ammo wouldn't fit the chamber.
My boss graciously offered to trade him another Winchester that would chamber the 300 Win Mag ammo.

Yeah, I would trade a post 64 Winchester in 300 Win Mag for a Pre-64 in 300 H&H, too.

I realize you would end up with a relatively short neck on the fire formed brass. But would it have enough neck tension to hold the projectile for manually feeding each cartridge into the chamber? I have seen photos of the brass after firing a 300 Win Mag cartridge in a 300WBY chamber and it often results in split shoulders. My thought is that by fire forming it with cream of wheat style loads and freshly annealed necks that it might help prevent the split shoulders?

Worky:

View attachment 1825381

No worky:

View attachment 1825382
Try using 300 H&H cases to fire form 300 WBY cases

You would also have the danger of 300 winmag head stamped brass loaded to 300 Weatherby. Whenever there is properly headstamped brass available for a cartridge I will use said brass for this reason alone. You never know who or when someone may get a hold of your experiment and things could end in disaster. Playing with controlled, high pressure explosions isn't the hobby to color way outside the lines.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top