Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How do you carry when hiking?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Modeler, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Or snowshoeing, or cross country skiing? Just got my CHL, planning on some snow time this winter. My packs are generally heavy enough that I need to use the waist strap for hiking/skiing, so that means that IWB/OWB carrying is out. I could strap it to the pack's waist strap, but then I take my pack off during a snack break and walk away to look at something and my gun is away from me and unattended. How do you do it?

2. nick425

nick425 Eastside of Lake Washington Member

Thigh rig.

3. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

duct taped to the pack, and waist band carry when i drop the pack

4. +1. Pick one up that swivels on the belt strap. Reduces shifting during bending intensive activities.

5. i8asquirrel

i8asquirrel Keizer, oregon Member

Maxpedition edc bag,,or serpa blackhawk

6. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

I have noticed backback straps tend to ride high. OWB seems to work just fine for me. A holster that is slightly offset and doesn't ride so close to the body will allow the strap to sit behind the gun.

7. jimwsea

jimwsea Vancouver, Washington state Active Member

Sometimes I wear a separate small fanny pack just above or below the main pack waistband.

8. cwegga

cwegga Helena, MT Active Member

^^^ This. If it is just a day pack I have one with thinish straps and I can just tuck them behind the gun with normal holsters. Otherwise you could get a thigh holster or just a holster with a little bit more drop. The maker from this thread makes holsters specifically for hiking with. RugerForum.com :: View topic - Custom GP 100 Holster