JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
FWIW
I am tired of folks misreading my words and or twisting my words to fit what they want to read or hear....
If someone disagrees with my choices of either firearms or how to instruct someone in how to shoot , that is fine..

It is the willful misreading and twisting of meaning and words , that has me grumpy and cranky..
Andy

1) 22LR...this is a given
2) For rifle, it's hard to beat a bolt action. Everyone loves Ruger 10/22 for a first rifle....I DON'T.
I think that a single shot bolt action is a great beginner's rifle.
3) A 22LR revolver is a great introduction to handguns.
Many think that you should just jump into a semi-auto.....I DON'T.

REMEMBER, you're teaching fundamentals at this juncture......KEEP IT SIMPLE !
Your end product (competent shooter) will be superior.

This Brandon seems to be just arguing to win. Ironically, not the actions of a winner. Don't let him/her get to you. You're one of the most highly respected members of this forum, and not for winning arguments. :)

I agree 100%. It also seems like this brandon guy has been posting a lot of nonsensense in some of the ops other threads. I commented about that in another one of her threads. I'd pay no attention to him. We can get a pretty good feel for who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't. Andy is a straight up guy. We all know that. Those that dont are just stirring the pot.

FWIW
I am tired of folks misreading my words and or twisting my words to fit what they want to read or hear....
If someone disagrees with my choices of either firearms or how to instruct someone in how to shoot , that is fine..

It is the willful misreading and twisting of meaning and words , that has me grumpy and cranky..
Andy
Don't worry @AndyinEverson .
Those who know you .
Are watching .
Lol no reason to argue .
About it anymore she got plenty of input from alot of people giving good info.
What she does with it is up to her .

You're best bet is going to be a .22 revolver because it slows down the actual shooting process plus they have less moving parts to jam removing potential frustration for a new shooter. There are a number of models out there, so pick what ever your budget desires. Also as mentioned, go over safety and fundamentals first. Y'all have fun!

That's not true, revolvers appear less complex on the surface, but the reality there is a lot more going on than most people realize.

Im actually the worst guy to ask. I started out with a model 29-2 (yeah 44 magnum punk) when i was 14 (or so) and my moms taurus 38 special, then my cap and ball 44 cal. I had the most memorable fun with the cap and ball revolver. Id hike around the high desert of nevada and could shoot a lot with that pistol and it was inexpensive to shoot. I always tell everyone im a rifle shooter, but also grew up shooting a slew of pistols. When i was young, my dads buckmark never appealed to me. It stayed at home..

Who ?
I just looked back.... it's what I thought......he's a donk.
giphy.gif

Last Edited:
I do appreciate all the advice.

BSG 75 I spent some time with my daughter going over your videos and links. Some we were familiar with, others new information. Andy you're right about going for their interests and I feel everyone should shoot everything they have the opportunity to shoot. I've never shot a revolver, so i don't know what that is like, but when someone asked me today if I wanted to shoot their bolt action .308 I was a little scared, it's a big rifle! but I did it. (And it was awesome!) My reason for posting the question was to hear more about other people's experiences, because I have no experience with kids interested in firearms. ... brandon, the G42 practically jumps out of my hands, and I find it hard to control. probably not the best idea for her. I Have no intention of being the one to teach her about shooting. I'm having a friend in law enforcement do that.
Through everyone's posts I've learned it really is about the kid and 22lr seemed to be a constant :) She likes my 22 mag rifle so it seems appropriate to start her out with a 22 pistol and when she's ready She can move on to bigger things. I just really want her to enjoy shooting and I appreciate everyone sharing their tips and experiences. I don't know a lot about firearms so it's a relief that everyone on this site is so helpful. I appreciate you all.

I do appreciate all the advice.

BSG 75 I spent some time with my daughter going over your videos and links. Some we were familiar with, others new information. Andy you're right about going for their interests and I feel everyone should shoot everything they have the opportunity to shoot. I've never shot a revolver, so i don't know what that is like, but when someone asked me today if I wanted to shoot their bolt action .308 I was a little scared, it's a big rifle! but I did it. (And it was awesome!) My reason for posting the question was to hear more about other people's experiences, because I have no experience with kids interested in firearms. ... brandon, the G42 practically jumps out of my hands, and I find it hard to control. probably not the best idea for her. I Have no intention of being the one to teach her about shooting. I'm having a friend in law enforcement do that.
Through everyone's posts I've learned it really is about the kid and 22lr seemed to be a constant :) She likes my 22 mag rifle so it seems appropriate to start her out with a 22 pistol and when she's ready She can move on to bigger things. I just really want her to enjoy shooting and I appreciate everyone sharing their tips and experiences. I don't know a lot about firearms so it's a relief that everyone on this site is so helpful. I appreciate you all.

Perfect then. One other note: Make sure that you get her some real good hearing protection if you will be shooting indoors. The sound indoors is a flinch setter for sure.

She didn't cry. She learned to ask questions and learned that not all guns are the same, but most of all she learned that she wants A better teacher.

Can always benefit from a better teacher! :):)

Revolvers are archaic and technologically obsolete.

Your OPINION is noted.

Try telling that to my wife that shoots a .357 and if you run from her, you will just die tired. Or the revolver shooters at IDPA that kick my butt every match.

learning a new manual of arms

Revolver manual of arms, point open end towards target, makey squeezy on the pull thing. Watch out for boom.

*Pearl clutching intensifies*

Trendy, dark framed glasses wearing, doucheknot millenial phrases are outdated too Brandon.

Are you the fellow that I helped with info on hunting dogs? If so, I'm regretting. While I welcome all OPINIONS, you came in with strong statements about what you consider to be factual, your truth. Then object to people having a problem with you insisting that you are right and they are wrong. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

brandon, the G42 practically jumps out of my hands, and I find it hard to control. probably not the best idea for her. I Have no intention of being the one to teach her about shooting. I'm having a friend in law enforcement do that.

If you can't shoot it well and you're not too keen on it yourself, it may be advisable to move onto something else. Those guns sell well and seem to maintain a decent resale value. A magazine extension would give you more to hold onto- making it a bit easier to hold, if you wanted to keep it. Small guns can be very snappy, even with a .380. Glock 43x and 48 have a longer grip without adding girth- that can make it difficult to get a good purchase with- but that's a different caliber (9x19). I know S&W makes a .380 M&P Shield that's supposedly easier for people with weaker or compromised grip strength to hold, rack and even reload the magazines. It's larger than the G42 and can absorb more of that inertia. They also make a M&P .22LR version that can be had and shot very cheaply, Though it looks like a full sized gun, its 75-80% as large as their fullsized M&P pistols, so easier for smaller hands to hold.

The M&P EZ in .380
SW-MP-Shield-380-EZ-2-600x524.jpg

M&P in 22LR
IMG_9540.jpg

Many classic 22 revolvers are great options. In addition to many H&R 22 models there are C&R S&W and Colt 22 revolvers which are extremely accurate. If you pick up one of these classic revolvers consider have Vezley clean it out and inspect it.

The longer barrels on these also help junior shooters practice muzzle discipline compared to 3" barrel subcompacts.

My first handgun ...a H&R 649 , which I got at age 13...is a good solid choice in a revolver.
Not made any longer ...so it may be tough to find and if found...a good check over , by a Smith , may be wise.

That said ...mine is still going strong after all these years and a unknown amount of rounds fired.
It shoots well , handles nicely and I have used it as a teaching tool , many times.
Andy

She shouldn't be flagging anyone ever. Round chambered or not. She may not know it, but you should know that all guns are assume loaded at all times and flagging deserves a severe reprimand.

Yes -- we all know this. But new shooters can be unpredictable and if someone is going to point a gun at me after firing a round, I would much prefer that to be a single action revolver vs. a glockOrAnythingOfLikeNature. It's a risk reduction strategy for those times when people don't follow the rules, which happens.

1) 22LR...this is a given
2) For rifle, it's hard to beat a bolt action. Everyone loves Ruger 10/22 for a first rifle....I DON'T.
I think that a single shot bolt action is a great beginner's rifle.
3) A 22LR revolver is a great introduction to handguns.
Many think that you should just jump into a semi-auto.....I DON'T.

REMEMBER, you're teaching fundamentals at this juncture......KEEP IT SIMPLE !
Your end product (competent shooter) will be superior.

When I was in middle school, I told my mom (divorced) I wanted to learn to shoot and so she bought me a Marlin Mod. 60 and then took me to an NRA sponsored youth shooting group. When I walked in with the rifle, the first thing that happened was some old codger came over and locked the bolt open and set it in a gun rack (he was nice about it). Then I was given a single shot bolt action to use and taught the safety rules, how to hold the rifle, how pull the trigger, how to use peep sights, different firing positions, advice on all manner of shooting topics. I got a bunch of marksmanship medals and patches and I absolutely loved it -- nearly four decades later those are still some of my most vivid memories.

Anyway, just my anecdote around starting small and simple. It works. It's fun. It won't stunt your growth (rather it will give you a stable platform on which to expand).

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top