JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oh man! That reminds me! The Marlin model 39-A would be an awesome gun to get as a "trainer" for a near adult.
22LR lever action, things are usually a tack driver and a bunch of fun... it's a gun worth having in any case.
The Henry Golden-boy, i think it is, would be another option that is a little easier to find and might save ya $150... since ya know, the Marlin 39A hasn't been made for a few decades AFAIK.

Also, BX magazines on the Ruger 10/22 are know to give people sore thumbs, so you might like the simple tube feed design of a lever action.

I also have a beautiful Marlin 39M and a S.S. 10/22 I put in a grey Magpul stock, love them both.

Sore thumbs hasn't been issue for me but for others...
ruger 10/22 magazine loader - Google Search

Outdated has nothing to do with use or popularity. Akm is outdated, still kicking. FAL is outdated, still kicking.

Outdated, not obsolete. Revolvers are still in use, have advantages semiautos can't beat, as such they still have use.

By that standard, everything is outdated. We've had every kind of operating system out now, since before the 40s -- we merely have more variety and refinement these days. There hasn't been a a true leap forward in firearm operating principles for nearly a century. I was thinking that maybe this (1) was new, only to realize that it is a mere evolution the superposed ammo concept (2). I would like to see a truly new concept in firearm design in my lifetime, but I don't know if it will happen.

1:

2:

By that standard, everything is outdated. We've had every kind of operating system out now, since before the 40s -- we merely have more variety and refinement these days. There hasn't been a a true leap forward in firearm operating principles for nearly a century. I was thinking that maybe this (1) was new, only to realize that it is a mere evolution the superposed ammo concept (2). I would like to see a truly new concept in firearm design in my lifetime, but I don't know if it will happen.

1:

2:
I keep saying it all the time, nothing new until laser and plasma guns come about. That aside, even new "designs" have something different as far as ergonomics ago.

That aside, some stuff is new-ish, such as the Steyr AUG. Now that being said, if I say something is outdated its not an insult towards anything (only if you take it that way, but that's on you not me), just that new stuff has come along. Whether the changes are just ergonomics or what, new is new.

If I ever meant outdated as an insult, like a certain individual on the forum, I wouldn't even bother with rifles such as the FAL or AK, or the Steyr M95, or Hakim, etc etc.

Its all been down hill after this design...:eek::D
Andy

DSC06782.jpg

This Brandon seems to be just arguing to win. Ironically, not the actions of a winner. Don't let him/her get to you. You're one of the most highly respected members of this forum, and not for winning arguments. :)
Well, his stupidity got him on my Ignore List and I have little doubt I'll ever even Consider Re-Consider that decision. He's one of the reasons I have asked Joe Link for an Unlike Button.

I also have a beautiful Marlin 39M and a S.S. 10/22 I put in a grey Magpul stock, love them both.

Sore thumbs hasn't been issue for me but for others...
ruger 10/22 magazine loader - Google Search
I'd only trust the maglula loader, but that's just my brand loyalty.
Of course I'm just teasing the notion of the BX Mags being harsh on thumbs after a few hundred rounds, my nephew who is 9 has more a problem with it than I do!m. ;)

If I was going to hunt with my 10/22 or the Marlin 39A, it'd have to be the 39A... might be because I have the M1 version of the 10/22 with those combat sights, but also the 39A is just so pleasant and easy to shoot accurately.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Does Glock make a .22 pistol...?
It would seem like a thing to make ...given the popularity of their pistols...
Having a .22 pistol to go along with its "bigger brother"...is always fun.
Andy
I don't think they do but Advantage Arms makes a Conversion Kit and mine works really well. It is NOT on the level of my S&W Model-41s but it's a fun Come Can Killer!!!

BSG 75 I spent some time with my daughter going over your videos and links.
This was some good info and I am glad you took it in.

Back to the intent and questions of post 1. My thoughts:

1) If it's financially possible, having her own equipment brings a maturity and buy-in. Even if it is only the earmuffs.

2) Having hearing protection that works well is a must. I suggest foam plugs AND a set of clamshells, to be used at the same time. It may seem to be an issue if she has a hard time hearing you, but it's worse to be affected by the blast.

3) Definitely, start at .22 caliber. Match her babysitting money one for one and pick up a Ruger Wrangler ($180). Or my prefered .22 rifle choice for kids, a Henry lever action. Loading and unloading a gun are crucial skills to learn. And single shots get old quickly. Sure kids want to empty mags ASAP and kick them out for a fresh one. I do also. But you will be teaching first, and patience and careful observation are key. You want her to learn good lifelong habits she can pass on later.

One thing nobody mentioned--- years ago, I saw a kid get bit by a slide on a semiauto and it was all bad. Gun came out of his hand, tears happened and a tiny spot of blood. Certainly wasn't his idea of fun.
Which is the last thing I have to offer--keep it fun!

This lady I was seeing said "Let's do something romantic" so I made up a picnic lunch, some wine and cheese and took her to the park. After we got back I asked her if she had a good time. She said she'd been seeing this younger fellow and last week he took her on a cruise of the bay with champagne and dancing all night. And that's when it hit me: I had been out-dated.

:D

All for the better as far as I'm concerned. I've long ago grown out of that spend a bunch of dough clubbing, dining, drinking, dancing, listening to deafening music, romantic looking to get "lucky" crapola. That's right...I'm juuuust fine with beer, the old lady and TV! And she's juuuust fine with getting up at 4:00am, making coffee, sandwiches and getting on the water before sun-up and fishing for 8 hours!

That's because many of them are a blowback design as opposed to recoil operated.
Q&A: Blowback or Recoil Operated

I wish Glock would make a G19 sized 22LR.
The perk of the blow back design is that it aids in affordability a la Hi point. But can be pricey as well- like a PPK or clone there of. I'm pretty sure the M&P in 380 has a browning tilting barrel though. It does add a bit of snap, but i think even the real small Kahr's and the Bodyguard are tilting barrel, but i could be wrong. A G19 22LR chambered pistol would be ridiculously popular, Ruger probably pays them extortion money to NOT bring it to market.

Well, his stupidity got him on my Ignore List and I have little doubt I'll ever even Consider Re-Consider that decision. He's one of the reasons I have asked Joe Link for an Unlike Button.

Doing my part (beyond being a paying member) to get NWF the "butt hurt button" implemented.

All for the better as far as I'm concerned. I've long ago grown out of that spend a bunch of dough clubbing, dining, drinking, dancing, listening to deafening music, romantic looking to get "lucky" crapola. That's right...I'm juuuust fine with beer, the old lady and TV! And she's juuuust fine with getting up at 4:00am, making coffee, sandwiches and getting on the water before sun-up and fishing for 8 hours!
Yeah, I just give 'em the "Trump Test" now. :s0087: :eek: :D

Too bad the gyro jet failed, an interesting concept, poor execution.But heck, rocket propelled ammo, how cool is that! Also the Dardick pistols open chamber firing "trounds"" , another unique concept.
maybe it's us and not them, maybe on some level we just aren't ready for something different.

another thought, revolvers may not be as obsolete as you think. The modern double action revolver has been constantly evolving, and improving over the years, (what do you think all those S&W "dash"numbers mean?). Revolvers have a place as well as autos. For one shot devastation give me a revolver. I suppose it all comes down to your definition of firepower, quantity or quality?

I can't believe how far off track this thread has gone:).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top