JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you can't shoot it well and you're not too keen on it yourself, it may be advisable to move onto something else.

it's too bad that your passive aggressive attitude just takes away from anything you might post that could be valuable. I might have read the rest of your post if you hadn't led with that comment.

I just went back over the posts and have to apologize to RUTILATE I had skipped over his post my mistake. :oops::oops::oops:
However I stand behind the rest of what I said about getting professional instruction by someone who has the students wellbeing and interests formoste in their mind!

One thing I noticed missing here is one truly professional firearms instructor speaking up. Just delete this dumb mistake!

First get real firearms instruction from someone who truly knows what and when to do,
when a new shooter is introduced to the sport. Friends and family are the least likely to have the training to do it right.
Join a gun club that has instructors who are NRA trained and certified, they will often have a number of firearms to learn on available.
Don't run right out and buy something that doesn't fit the student.
That is getting the cart before the horse! Training is the horse and the firearm is the cart!
Don't screw around and ruin a potential lifetime fan of the shooting sport, it is so easy to do, this fits ANY new shooter regardless of gender or age! :eek: End of rant!:s0137:
Gabby

Last Edited:
Story time...….

Mind you.....that this took place in the ancient times (late 70's) when Police men/women (now called Law Enforcement Officers) mostly carried revolvers. Back then, the police revolver market was dominated by S&W and Colt. The Rugers were just coming onto the market. The Military, on the other hand, had been using pistols for a looong time. But, those "weapons of the military" (aka: Weapons of War) were deemed too scary and well, jams occurred frequently. Be it due to ammo, poor designs or poor execution. Whatever. The revolvers were just deemed to be the "most reliable" for police use. If you had a "bad round"......no problem, just pull the trigger again.

OK, Ok, ok......so I'm NOT saying that this is the best or the only way...…..and remember, this was for adults.

So then, I had just joined the Honolulu Police Dept. Back then, in Hawaii, it wasn't common for young people to have access to firearms (let alone handguns). So for many recruits, this might have been their first time. On with the story.....

As a police recruit, we were introduced to shooting with some classroom work and later, the first handguns that we were introduced to us was the S&W M18, K frame, 4" bbl, 6 shot, blued revolver in 22LR. The reason for that was......on duty police uniform carry was with the S&W M15, K frame, 4" bbl, 6 shot, blued revolver in .38 Special. Right. So, same platform......only different caliber. Yup. That made training cheaper and yet marksmenship and double action trigger discipline/pull would be familiar when the transition was made to the duty revolver. Not to mention, that we were also learning to draw from the holster.

The point is......22LR training for a later perhaps larger caliber, has it's place.

BTW......IMHO, the new recruits that were first introduced to the police academy on the semi-auto platform...….well, they had more problems with "learning" their handguns. Probably due to the semi-auto pistols being more "complex" for first timers. Just an observation though, as I wasn't assigned to the Training Division.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....I should also mention that even some of the "old timers" had some problems when the Dept. switched from revolvers to the semi-autos. Evidence: the number of "accidental discharges" into the sand trap barrel. LOL.

Last Edited:
it's too bad that your passive aggressive attitude just takes away from anything you might post that could be valuable. I might have read the rest of your post if you hadn't led with that comment.

That's unfortunate that you read it that way. That wasn't the intent. Theres some good, impartial suggestions somewhere after that. So I guess that's your loss.

Already mentioned, get her into a formal class, even a 1 day class, there are many places that are geared towards teaching children.there are alot of great schools/ instructors out there.. ijust wanted to ad if you were not able to afford it, start a go fund me,, i know id send a few dollars to send your kid to a class.

A couple of instructors did in fact speak up. Not sure what you mean by "truly", ;) but I'm not trying to start anything. :)

:s0104:

See my edited post above, I already made my apology, one size fits all I'm not going to go back over all the posts at this point, I realize my mistake.
I should have checked more closely before letting my "Mouth" run away!
Gabby

FWIW
I am tired of folks misreading my words and or twisting my words to fit what they want to read or hear....
If someone disagrees with my choices of either firearms or how to instruct someone in how to shoot , that is fine..

It is the willful misreading and twisting of meaning and words , that has me grumpy and cranky..
Andy
I think what Andy is trying to say is that literacy has declined in this country, and that people cannot communicate effectively without a proper understanding of the language being used...
:p

I'm sorry... The beast in me made me do it.

I'm going to suggest YET AGAIN, that a 22lr revolver or single shot 22lr rifle are the best guns to start new shooters on. They are a lot more deliberate in their action and will help them learn firearms handling. If you have or would rather a semi auto pistol or rifle to start training with, that's fine too. Given that your girl is a teen, getting up there, it might be fine to let her try larger calibers as long as she knows there will be recoil. Maybe since she shot the 12gage first, everything else will be a breeze. All that really matters is safety and her own comfort.

The only wrong way to do this is to force her into it or do it unsafely.
:)

When I was in middle school, I told my mom (divorced) I wanted to learn to shoot and so she bought me a Marlin Mod. 60 and then took me to an NRA sponsored youth shooting group. When I walked in with the rifle, the first thing that happened was some old codger came over and locked the bolt open and set it in a gun rack (he was nice about it). Then I was given a single shot bolt action to use and taught the safety rules, how to hold the rifle, how pull the trigger, how to use peep sights, different firing positions, advice on all manner of shooting topics. I got a bunch of marksmanship medals and patches and I absolutely loved it -- nearly four decades later those are still some of my most vivid memories.

Anyway, just my anecdote around starting small and simple. It works. It's fun. It won't stunt your growth (rather it will give you a stable platform on which to expand).

This is the gun I used to teach my son and daughter how to shoot, they quite a bit younger than middle school so it fit them well.
Mini Bolt Youth | Henry Repeating Arms

This is the gun I used to teach my son and daughter how to shoot, they quite a bit younger than middle school so it fit them well.
Mini Bolt Youth | Henry Repeating Arms
Oh man! That reminds me! The Marlin model 39-A would be an awesome gun to get as a "trainer" for a near adult.
22LR lever action, things are usually a tack driver and a bunch of fun... it's a gun worth having in any case.
The Henry Golden-boy, i think it is, would be another option that is a little easier to find and might save ya $150... since ya know, the Marlin 39A hasn't been made for a few decades AFAIK.

Also, BX magazines on the Ruger 10/22 are know to give people sore thumbs, so you might like the simple tube feed design of a lever action.

Stupid arguments, the steel in your gun came from 4 1/2 Billion year old iron, your glock is made from fermented dead dinosaurs. WTF!! A pointy stick will kill you just as dead as 9mm.
nothing new has come along in the gun industry in a long time, john browning designs are in nearly every gun i can think of.
btw he gave up on striker fired hand guns, thank god, and gave us the 1911 and the high power.
Current striker fired guns are popular because of their simplicity and their ease of use by the simple.

Revolvers, god forbid, make you think. Rather than spray and pray.
a revolver is unlikely to jam, fail to feed or eject, and requires no manipulation of controls to operate. It is my preferred first timer training weapon.

an article with a list of browning patents and cartridges he designed.

Last Edited:
Revolvers are outdated, not obsolete. Obsolete would imply no longer in use, which they still are.

Self defense, training, hunting, etc. While a semiauto has its advantages, revolvers can have more powerful rounds without having a giant grip. Personally I think everyone should practice with one. And maybe own one.

Last Edited:
Outdated has nothing to do with use or popularity. Akm is outdated, still kicking. FAL is outdated, still kicking.

Outdated, not obsolete. Revolvers are still in use, have advantages semiautos can't beat, as such they still have use.
This lady I was seeing said "Let's do something romantic" so I made up a picnic lunch, some wine and cheese and took her to the park. After we got back I asked her if she had a good time. She said she'd been seeing this younger fellow and last week he took her on a cruise of the bay with champagne and dancing all night. And that's when it hit me: I had been out-dated.

:D

Last Edited:
This lady I was seeing said "Let's do something romantic" so I made up a picnic lunch, some wine and cheese and took her to the park. After we got back I asked her if she had a good time. She said she'd been seeing this younger fellow and last week he took her on a cruise of the bay with champagne and dancing all night. And that's when it hit me: I had been out-dated.

:D
Never had that problem. My problem was I never wanted to go to a robot circus for my dates, so never dated to begin with.

That aside, my posts are not anti-revolver. Just saying that its an older design and will have some drawbacks, but also advantages that no semiauto can ever offer.

Unless someone wants to make a semiauto in .500 S&W but I think you gotta be an orangutan to hold that grip. o_O

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top