JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@Knobgoblin it really comes down to who the manufacturer is and what period they were made. Some Hudson bay pattern axes were bringing $150 - $200 or more back when I was more active and up on the axe market three or four years ago. When axes went mainstream and got much harder to find for a couple dollars a head, I moved on from the vintage axes unless I stumble upon a good deal. When folks want as much or more than a new Gransfors Bruk, I will just buy the new axe. Not sure if it is still the case but cruiser double bits got through the roof expensive.
This place has more double bits than I care to peruse. If they're collectables, I'm not going to be a player. I just want a handful of decent, usable iron tools.

The axe/hatchet I carry when hunting to split the pelvis and cut branches for having a fire while I'm on a sit. It is lightweight, flat, and does not rust. Can be thrown as it is sold as a throwing hatchet.

1623699361386.jpeg

Also shown is the small fixed blade gutting knife I use. I like it to work up inside... the folder I used to use required a LOT of cleaning after gutting. I have other knives that I finish the job with back at camp. Better skinners, etc.

The axe/hatchet I carry when hunting to split the pelvis and cut branches for having a fire while I'm on a sit. It is lightweight, flat, and does not rust. Can be thrown as it is sold as a throwing hatchet.

View attachment 905974

Also shown is the small fixed blade gutting knife I use. I like it to work up inside... the folder I used to use required a LOT of cleaning after gutting. I have other knives that I finish the job with back at camp. Better skinners, etc.
I just got a CS Outdoorsman with a bone breaker spine.. I've seen more than one fool chip the heck out of their knives trying to go through an elk pelvis..

20210604_115133.jpg

I forgot to mention, the throwing hatchet is made by Hibben.

Bummer that I can't get full sized pics to post!!!

1623705680516.jpeg

And that I also carried a long fixed blade filet knife in my day pack to get up into the chest cavity and free the lungs/throat.

I've seen more than one fool chip the heck out of their knives trying to go through an elk pelvis..
Banging it with a rock?

I have used a two blade folder that had a super sharp saw blade as one of the choices... OK on deer, too small for elk pelvis. Then I carried a folding game saw in the daypack too. Or at least back at the truck with the pack frame and the elk game bags. Better to have it and not need it then...

Banging it with a rock?

I have used a two blade folder that had a super sharp saw blade as one of the choices... OK on deer, too small for elk pelvis. Then I carried a folding game saw in the daypack too. Or at least back at the truck with the pack frame and the elk game bags. Better to have it and not need it then...
Yea, it's pretty much every man for himself and what he brung. Some people don't have but MAYBE a knife and a quarter for the payphone to come with the horses and whatnot to bail them out.
Generally in camp you'd have a fully stocked sporting goods store but hey. Some people just claw up a mountain and drop an elk.

I think you'll be more than happy with the Council Tools. I'm late for a recommend, but the Council Tools Wood-Craft (24" handle) is hands down one of the best camp axe's I own. One featue that helps it stand out with me is the heat treated poll... making it perfect for pounding without leaving any marks (like batoning a strong arm knife through a breastplate ;)) or deforming it on nails or tent spikes. The upper edge between the eye and the toe also has a 90 degree grind which makes it a good gentle scraper or yet another option to throw spark with a ferro.

Another budget option I like is a Husqvarna. Providing you have a few to pick through at the same time to get yourself the best/straightest grain handle and a good solid eye fit... and if you're willing to put a little work into the "off the shelf" edge and handle refinishing... they can be worked up into a more than decent camp ax at a very reasonable price point.

I was very happy with mine for many a year until I finally bit the bullet and ponied up for a Council Tools. My only regret.... I wish I would have just jumped on it long before. That wood-craft axe is quite a beaut for bush crafting... if that's your thing.

This little tomahawk/trail axe usually gets strapped to the quad or enduro if I'm spending an overnight in the woods. It's also helped butcher a few animals. It didn't come sharp, but after I put a convex edge on, it'll shave just as happily as it will chop.

IMG_20210614_153156758.jpg

Yea, it's pretty much every man for himself and what he brung. Some people don't have but MAYBE a knife and a quarter for the payphone to come with the horses and whatnot to bail them out.
Generally in camp you'd have a fully stocked sporting goods store but hey. Some people just claw up a mountain and drop an elk.
It's granted that the locals do it that way. Then they call their buddies to bring the horses, every time. Not me. I like to sit on a hill above a road, wait for buddies to spook the elk on the other side of the valley, bag the elk, and slide him down the hill into the bed of the truck. It's the way real men do it.

I think that a vintage Plumb, Norlund or Genuine Norlund axe would be just the ticket although you might have hang a new handle on it. I have a Plumb brush axe, manufactured between 1869 and 1887, that is still going strong. I saw a Norlund axe the other day in a Yakima antique mall that I should have glommed onto.

Hey so who here has an axe or three without a sheath/bit protector?
I was filling my Amazon cart with leather, rivets and whatnot when I thought I'd do a search for "axe hatchet edge protector sheath" and saw a nifty gubbin.. which I'm going to get a multiple of. Like $13 delivered..

I'm looking for something small, light, cheap and MOLLE/belt loop capable for my itty bitty overnight bag with limited straps to play with.

Last Edited:
Please read entire post! Looking for a lightweight hiking and camp axe. It needs to be light enough to carry on hikes without being cumbersome and, sturdy enough to do any job short of cutting down trees. Will also double as a camping trip axe to go along with my bushcraft knife. Lets see yours and hear your recommendations.
22oz Vaughn carpenters hatchet.
After years of experimenting this is what I carry.

Please read entire post! Looking for a lightweight hiking and camp axe. It needs to be light enough to carry on hikes without being cumbersome and, sturdy enough to do any job short of cutting down trees. Will also double as a camping trip axe to go along with my bushcraft knife. Lets see yours and hear your recommendations.
I would recommend the fiskars 7550 14" handaxe/hatchet you can get them at Ace Harware for $30ish or it's counterpart the Fiskars X7 they are basically the same and will fit in the same sheath, I have a Cleveland Kydex sheath on my bags molle for webbing when backpacking. I've chopped up to 5-8" diameter trees with them.
It holds its sharp edge very well.
And resharpens well too(only resharpened/edged once, do to hitting concrete by accident while splitting).
I like enough that I have 2 of them.
This was originally recommended to me by another backpacker with more experience with it.

16301936759952163389097171487751.jpg 163019370897367996600027633165.jpg 16301937604201607628110245850308.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top