JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

9mm or 40 S&W

• 9mm

Votes: 42 72.4%
  • 40 S&W

Votes: 16 27.6%

• Total voters
I knew Marines had hard heads, but now I'm impressed!
Dealt with a call involving alcohol and firearms and a marine was shot in the face with a .45 from about 10 feet away. He was still alive when MPs arrived on scene holding his teeth in his hands. Bullet traveled around the skull and lodged in the back of his head between the skin and cranium. Sadly he passed a day later.

The body is amazing thing. And there is no guarantee how bullets will react. Caliber doesn't matter. Certain ones just have better odds then others.

There is a reason why the 45 was used from WW1 through the early 90's for the military. It worked then it works now.
Nothing wrong with .45

I just choose 9mm over it. Any day of the week.

I base my choice of personal experience.

I knew Marines had hard heads, but now I'm impressed!
Considering the effectiveness of the .45... I dunno if using a marine taking a hit to the beaner is an accurate measure.

"Studies show that impact has no detrimental affect on mental or cognitive function" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. KWIM?

(Some of my best friends are crayon munchers. I'm allowed.) :s0140:

I want to be very clear… not every single encounter with someone putting you in fear for your life is going to do so by entering your home and waiting for your debate of 45,40 or 9 etc to determine what is your best and what will cause them to stop.

Furthermore, they're not going to stand still like a paper target ..

Further still is the potential to need to shoot through a barrier… ie glass, wood, padded clothes, car door etc etc…

Speed is what aids the most in putting down the threat, followed by shot placement and terminal ballistics.

So watch YouTube gangstas… tactifools or self proclaimed experts if you want and take their advice like scripture or invest in training and test yourself and your gear.

In no way am I claiming to be an expert. In fact I am learning daily as well. If I am not in my traditional living area I will always role with multiple things and a carbine or 2.

Last Edited:
I don't pay attention to what caliber is able to do this or that. Accuracy is what matters in all circumstances. Then being able to put down the threat as quickly as possible. If 22WMR allows you to do that then that's what you use.
Exactly. Like this gal told me a long time ago, It doesn't matter how big it is, it's what you do with it that counts. If only I'd known she was talking about bullets... :p

Anyway, I was just watching this Lifetime movie and this female detective said 9mm isn't worth a sh1t, so I guess that settles it. Case closed.

9mm for a couple reasons:

Ammo prices are stupid, and .45ACP locally is 15-20% higher in cost over 9mm, so 9mm lets me shoot more. Especially since now I can't just drive 45 minutes to the boonies and shoot cheap steel case ammo at the North Fork Wolf Creek range. I don't own enough property to legally shoot at home, so I have to go to an actual gun range to go shooting.

My other reason for 9mm is that follow up shots are a bit easier / faster. It may not really make that much of a difference, but then again, it might.

I'm not a big fan of the .40SW. I was, once upon a time. But I got over that. If I go up from a 9mm I'd rather have .45ACP or 10mm. The little more oomph a .40 has over a 9, to me, isn't worth the added recoil (and 40 has a weird recoil impulse vs 9 or .45ACP) or loss of capacity.

Capacity is comforting too - and 9 is the capacity king in the popular service calibers. My little X-Macro Sig 365 has the same capacity as a Glock 17 in a gun smaller than a Glock 19.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top