JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had no problems lately, but I have noticed an uptick in new members posting stupid stuff. Be vigilant guys, Vet out the seller/buyer if you can.

NWFA has no way to "police" our classified section. So it's buyer beware. :)

Some, (or a lot?), of the responsibility lies with us too. There are most always signs that something isn't right. If good communication isn't there, or something seems fishy, then back away.

And we do have a way to help vet people, the rating system! It would be a huge red flag if you're dream gun came available, for half the new price, from a brand new member that wanted to meet behind the Walmart at 2:30 AM! As far as buying firearms go, the universal background checks helped with that.

I'm hip. I always do my deals. A couple weeks ago there was a very nice Weber full size bar-b-q on Craigslist. I called em up around 10:30am and told em I'd take it and that I could be there in 20 minutes. They said they had someone that was coming "around noon" to pick it up. I called back at 12:30 and they told me the guy was going to be there by 2:00. I told them I could be there in 20 minutes but since the other guy had committed to be there by 2:00 (after missing his noon time frame) there were going to wait for him. I called at 2:30 to see if by chance they still had it. They told me they did and that the same guy was going to be there at 3:30-4:00 and since they told him he could have it they were going to wait for him, I told them I could be there in 20 minutes. So I call back a little after 4:00 and they tell me the guy promised to be there no later than 5:00 and that they were going to wait since they told him he could have it. Me? 20 minutes. I called at 5:30 and they told me the guy hadnt showed up yet. I told them I could be there in 20 minutes, they said come get it. I was there in 20 minutes. The lady was like "I dont know what the hell is up with people these days but I'm never ever going to do that again". She told me that if they ever have anything like that again they're just gonna throw it away, that it wasnt worth wasting a whole day waiting around to try to be generous and to be screwed off like that. I had to agree. I thanked her for the very nice Weber and was on my way. My word is my bond. I always do my deals and theres no one that can tell anyone different. If by chance someone does, dont deal with them. I always do my deals.

I do a bit of buying and selling on CraigsList and the harvest of fruits and nuts are great on that site, for all the reasons previously listed. Buying can be problematic, but selling something is like pulling teeth. Nowadays I will only respond to phone calls. No text, no emails, "CALL" and state that right in the add. Folks that call and can make a decent conversation, know what a verb is and complete sentences are whom I want to do business with. I usually have good results with that method, but sometimes the occasional flake will squeak through my defenses. That just sets them up for a face to face beratement. What is amazing are the number of jackasses that try to get me to actually respond to texts and emails. Of course I ignore them, and sometimes read them just for chits and giggles. And their numbers and email addresses can be blocked should you wish.

There are most always signs that something isn't right. If good communication isn't there, or something seems fishy, then back away.
I agree and prior to 941 I couldn't believe how many stories I used to read (not only on this forum) of how many people (mostly sellers - but some buyers) who told incredible stories of how 'somebody didn't show for the 2 AM on the side of the road for the deal' - then continued to try to 'work' with the person and got subsequent excuses for no shows!
While I do not agree with SB 941 it MAY have prevented potential disasters - for those who comply anyway.

Even before that (941), if I thought someone was sketchy I'd tell em sorry I aint sellin it to ya. They would usually prompt that situation by some severe lowballing or other suspicious trait.

I know this is an old thread, but my opinion hasn't changed - bad comms still mean no deal for me. If you can't handle a simple text, email or PM exchange with full sentences and actually answering the questions you're asked, in a reasonable time, then you and I don't need to do business. It doesn't take much to communicate, even if you're not a grammar enthusiast or a good typist. Just give some good, clear info, answer the questions and do so in a reasonable time. Any employer would expect the same, so it's not asking much.

mmm, flaky..

upload_2018-8-13_7-33-35.jpeg

And make or answer actual phone calls..... Ya know that actual 'talking' thing.........

Personally, I prefer written communication - for one big reason - I've had people suddenly 'forget' what they agreed to over the phone far too often. I get tired of that crap. Put it in writing so there are no mistakes, changes, etc. at the time of the deal. I've had to pull up more than a few PM's over the years to remind people what they agreed to. Once they see it in writing, it's kind of hard to go back on it.

I apply the same thing at work. If we talk on the phone or in person, I expect a follow-up email to confirm what we agreed to. Saved my butt more times than I can count. People are simply not good for their word much these days.

Personally, I HATE talking on the phone. So if I must, I will call to buy something I really want. But if selling, texting is for me. I don't want email, but I do want the buyer's phone #. If texting goes ok, then we can talk.

When dealing with boss or employee, if it's not in writing, it didn't happen. When I hired on with Air Life, the witch that hired me told me she could only get $16/hr approved but that she would give me $19/hr after the first performance review in 3 months... then told me she never promised that. o_O:rolleyes: I told her I'd quit... she got my money but her boss was PO'd. It was downhill from there.

Personally, I prefer written communication - for one big reason - I've had people suddenly 'forget' what they agreed to over the phone far too often. I get tired of that crap. Put it in writing so there are no mistakes, changes, etc. at the time of the deal. I've had to pull up more than a few PM's over the years to remind people what they agreed to. Once they see it in writing, it's kind of hard to go back on it.

I had that happen to me right here at NWFA, with a member in good standing, with all positive feedback. We got to the meet-up place and he insisted it was, $60.00, if I remember correctly. I was sure the ad said $65.00. He refused to make it right, I had to have it so paid and took the stuff. Damned if I wasn't right! Got home and the ad said $65.00. Flakes, I tell ya.........

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top