JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just tapping the wealth of knowledge within our ranks. (@kmk1012 ?)

My rig currently has 315 75R-16's and in need of new sneakers. With gas prices what they are these days... I'm thinking it may serve me better to go with something a bit more highway/mileage friendly, but in that size range I'm finding very few options outside of off-road-centric tires.

I'm open to the idea of going with a bit smaller tire to open up more selection, but want something that will fit the same rims. I know there are some considerations when changing tire size, but not sure what they are or what size/s are safe to put on.

I tow and want to stay with the higher load rated tires... and not looking for straight "highway" tires. I spend quite a bit of time on unimproved roads. Is there a good compromise, and if so, what exactly am I looking for?

The more I look and try to research... the more confused I'm getting with all the internet "jibber-jabber" and no frame of reference of who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't.

Any suggestions or info would be appreciated.

Last Edited:
Helllzz yeahhh boyyyeeeeee

1701296374214.png

What vehicle? What is the factory size tires for the vehicle? Have the differential gears been changed from the factory ratio?

Lots of decent options in the 265 or 285/70 size for 17" wheels, probably also for 16".

What vehicle? What is the factory size tires for the vehicle? Have the differential gears been changed from the factory ratio?
'04 Ford F250 super duty lariat diesel. I'm not exactly sure (bought used) and couldn't pin down what the factory size was. It seems there are several size's that come standard with different packages, but seems 32" on up in increments.

"Maybe" it was the 265/75R-16?? Is there somewhere it would be listed?

No changes to the differential have been made. Is the differential ratio a determining factor?

Last Edited:
Discount has some good search features.. good to input the vehicle though.
'04 Ford F250 super duty lariat diesel. I'm not exactly sure (bought used) and couldn't pin down what the factory size was. It seems there are several size's that come standard with different packages, but seems 32" on up in increments.

"Maybe" it was the 265/75R-16?? Is there somewhere it would be listed?

No changes to the differential have been made. Is the differential ratio a determining factor?
Thanks. Sounds similar to my truck, a '06 dodge 2500 diesel. It had 265/70/17 tires stock, and 3:73 gears. I have ran 285/70/17 and 285/75/17 tires on it. There should be a sticker/decal on the drivers side door jamb with tire info. Also in the owners manual if you have one.

Based on what you have described, I'd look at a good all terrain tire in a 285/70/16, or maybe a 275/70. Will be a decent amount smaller than what you have (shorter and narrower), but still a bit larger than what likely came on it stock. Probably pick up a bit of performance and fuel economy.

When you go to a larger diameter tire, yes, changing the ring and pinion gears helps compensate for the larger tire diameter. Think of rolling a smaller vs. larger boulder up an incline. Lower gears give you more leverage to move the larger diameter object.

There should be a sticker/decal on the drivers side door jamb with tire info. Also in the owners manual if you have one.
First 2 places I checked. It looks like the original owner removed all the stickers out of the jams and the owners manual basically just described how to determine the size by reading the tire walls. No specific factory info was listed though.

I wonder... would that info be included by doing a vin search?

Hard to say. I'd go talk to the folks at Discount Tire. They should be able to tell you what was factory size on your truck, and what reasonable options are for replacement tires and sizes.

Or ask a Ford dealer/Ford parts department of a dealer.

I have always had really good luck with BF-Goodrich, both the All Terrain and the Mud Terrain, and especially the KM-2 series, but I require serious off road capabilities including airing down, yet these run well at road speed and turn in good millage! On my old Dodge Powerwagon, I gained pretty serious millage by dropping from a 35" to a 33" in the All Terrain's, went from 12 miles per gallon to 16, that was a pretty serious jump in millage, especially with a thumpin big block under the hood! Conversly, my "New" PowerWagon gets 22 MPG runnin 40's, and 4/30 Gears, go figure, though the 4 banger Cummins certainly helps! Seriously, the BFG's are about as good as it gets for millage, load rating, and all season traction, give them a look!

Talk to your tire shop about what good tires there are. They recommended I replace the wide tires on my truck because they were known to have poor traction on wet pavement and extremely noisy. I dropped slightly in size and width with what they recommended and the truck drove way better.

My only complaint is some of the cheaper tires don't last as long as the BF Goodrich all terrains I used for years. I will be doing a mileage cost analysis next time I change tires and see if the more expensive BFG's are still a better value.

Another option is Cooper Tires, Lots of the off road guys LOVE UM, they are well regarded for being tough and they ride well/quiet for such an aggressive tire, lots of guys with Large/Heavy pickups seem to really like these tires, and while I have not run any my self, I have been around many guys and gals who do and they all swear by them! Your not going to get me out of ether my BFG KM-2s or the discontinued Micky Thompson Baja Claw's, but if I was shopping for a LT tire,, I would certainly give the Coopers a try based on what I have seen and heard from those I trust!

I I've got 60,000 miles on the TOYO Open Country C/T"s on my Ram 2500 4X4 I'll put the same tires on again before next winter.
Maybe similar to what's on it now. TOYO Open Country A/T's. That particular rig has less than 60k on it though. The sneakers aren't wearing out and actually have a ton of tread left. They are just aging out and starting to develop some good sized cracks around the tires between the treads. Mostly between the first and second treadlines on the outside.

They have to be pushing close to 10yrs old and a little overdue.

It averages around 15mpg, which I don't think is terrible for a powerstroke, but better would be... better. 😁

Last Edited:
As stated, drive down to a Discount Tire store if you have on in the area. My experience is they are pretty competent. many variables, their website shows two different factory 16" tires for a 2004 250 with 16" wheels.

I I've got 60,000 miles on the TOYO Open Country C/T"s on my Ram 2500 4X4 I'll put the same tires on again before next winter.
The only tires I will run on my f250 work truck. Fewer flats in the mountains compared to other brands. Bfg km2 last 13000 miles with flats weekly. I run the biggest tire I can fit for extra ground clearance. Same tires on my f150 but stock size, that's the wife's grocery getter so fuel milage counts.

Edit....I run the mts

Last Edited:
Down sizing the diameter a little will do two things, bring your speedometer closer to true speeds (unless it's already been calibrated), and improve mileage a bit with less rolling mass. You may want to look into a 255/85/16 size, it's slightly shorter and a bit narrower though. I've seen lots of people use that size as a good compromise in the past. In a 16" there are fewer options though. Another size would be a 265/76/16, both of those sizes will yield some highway or all terrain tread options. The 315/75/16 you have now is a pmetric equivalent to a 35" tall tire.

I'd plug my make model info in here and find out what size it should have that way. It's been really accurate for me. As for tires, everyone has their favorites. I'm pretty happy with BFG KO2's. They get a good grip, last a long time and can haul a load.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top