JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All of these delays have made me rethink future gun purchases.

I use to trade/buy/sell 5 or 6 guns a year as a hobby. All I asked for or gave was a photocopy of my driver's license and concealed weapons permit. If you didn't have a concealed weapons permit I wouldn't sell or trade with you.

Then the law changed and we had to use an FFL for transfers adding cost to an already costly hobby. My yearly exchange dropped to 2 or 3 guns.

Now, with these unknown wait times, even with a concealed weapons permit, I've purchased my last handgun!

I'm now at day 7 of my unknown wait?

Once this one is received, I'm tapping out.

Trading and trying new guns is no longer an enjoyable past time.

I feel bad for the few good privately owned gun shops remaining. This can't be good for their long term survival.

I use to trade/buy/sell 5 or 6 guns a year as a hobby. All I asked for or gave was a photocopy of my driver's license and concealed weapons permit. If you didn't have a concealed weapons permit I wouldn't sell or trade with you.

Then the law changed and we had to use an FFL for transfers adding cost to an already costly hobby. My yearly exchange dropped to 2 or 3 guns.

Now, with these unknown wait times, even with a concealed weapons permit, I've purchased my last handgun!

I feel bad for the few good privately owned gun shops remaining. This can't be good for their long term survival.
And that's how the antis win. They frustrate people enough to make them stop buying guns.

Like a Second ammendment lawyer told me recently " There's a lotttt of stuff going on out there that the average citizen has no idea is happening, and if you don't keep your finger on the pulse with what IS HAPPENING, every week and sometimes daily, you won't know what's happening behind the scenes." Until it's too late.

He's on the phone with THE ATF at least twice a week.

This is a sad example of why so much misinformation floats around on the web. <sigh>
If you really want to find out how the law works the information is easy to find.

Sadly me and a lot of other people too. I used to buy and sell a lot over the years. Something came up I wanted to try I would buy one either new or used. Get tired of that, and or find something else I wanted? Sell one to buy another. Now of course to sell is a major PITA and it often ends up costing me more than its worth. I have ended up owning more guns now than I ever did at any one time in my life as I have several I don't really want, but it's too much hassle to get rid of them. Also of course much more careful when buying as I don't want to end up with another orphan for the safe :confused:
May have to one of these days find a shop that will sell on a cut of the sale. Or buy another safe :D

The only way I will ever buy a gun again will be when I can find a like-minded individual.
Period.
While I understand the frustration this is asking for more trouble than it's worth. If you sell a gun that is papered to you, years down the road the buyer may sell or have it stolen. If it ends up in some high profile crime, they well come to you asking how your gun ended up at this crime. So at that point you would have to of course lie, since you obviously don't want to tell them you broke the law. So will they find out you lied? Probably not but, if they do? Will it really be worth it? If you are the buyer are you 100% sure the seller bought the gun from an FFL dealer? If not what if they bought a stolen gun that they of course had no idea was stolen. Then you later end up "found" with this gun. How do you explain how you came to poses it? Chances of any of this happening are slim at best but, if it does will it really be worth the legal hassle and cost?

LGS told me today that they re-sent my paperwork to Clark County Sheriff's Dept. I guess that means my waiting period starts all over again:mad:

Licensed dealer deliveries—Background checks. (Effective July 1, 2019.)
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter and except for semiautomatic assault rifles under subsection (2) of this section, a licensed dealer may not deliver any firearm to a purchaser or transferee until the earlier of:
(a) The results of all required background checks are known and the purchaser or transferee (i) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal or state law and (ii) does not have a voluntary waiver of firearm rights currently in effect; or
(b) Ten business days have elapsed from the date the licensed dealer requested the background check. However, for sales and transfers of pistols if the purchaser or transferee does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, then the time period in this subsection shall be extended from ten business days to sixty days.
(2) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a licensed dealer may not deliver a semiautomatic assault rifle to a purchaser or transferee until ten business days have elapsed from the date of the purchase application or, in the case of a transfer, ten business days have elapsed from the date a background check is initiated.

Once again for reference: RCW 9.41.092 updated for July 1 2019

The wait period is only determined by how long your local LE takes to run the background check. In Clallam Co it's taking about five days. The only ten day wait is for assault rifles.

LGS told me today that they re-sent my paperwork to Clark County Sheriff's Dept. I guess that means my waiting period starts all over again:mad:
I have heard colloquially from some FFLs that the Clark County Sheriff department only has one person working on these part time, and that sometimes the FFL doesn't even get them back and just sends it back in again after a month has passed with a stamped reminder that this is the second time around.

Buying regular guns in WA is reminding me more and more of the NFA waiting game. In fact, NFA form 1s that come back in a few weeks actually seem to be faster! Although form 4s are running at a year, and who knows, maybe semiauto rifle transfers in WA will eventually get that way too once certain politicians figure out the game.

Licensed dealer deliveries—Background checks. (Effective July 1, 2019.)
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter and except for semiautomatic assault rifles under subsection (2) of this section, a licensed dealer may not deliver any firearm to a purchaser or transferee until the earlier of:
(a) The results of all required background checks are known and the purchaser or transferee (i) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal or state law and (ii) does not have a voluntary waiver of firearm rights currently in effect; or
(b) Ten business days have elapsed from the date the licensed dealer requested the background check. However, for sales and transfers of pistols if the purchaser or transferee does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, then the time period in this subsection shall be extended from ten business days to sixty days.
(2) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a licensed dealer may not deliver a semiautomatic assault rifle to a purchaser or transferee until ten business days have elapsed from the date of the purchase application or, in the case of a transfer, ten business days have elapsed from the date a background check is initiated.

Once again for reference: RCW 9.41.092 updated for July 1 2019

The wait period is only determined by how long your local LE takes to run the background check. In Clallam Co it's taking about five days. The only ten day wait is for assault rifles.
OK, so I have a valid WA Real ID, I have lived here over 90 consecutive days and its been 15 business days. Why no delivery?
ps I've passed every background check for over 40 years now.

OK, so I have a valid WA Real ID, I have lived here over 90 consecutive days and its been 15 business days. Why no delivery?
Your local LE is not doing their job. The ffl could release the pistol legally after the ten day wait but they are not required to. Their choice. The main problem is your local sheriff not doing his job.

This is a sad example of why so much misinformation floats around on the web. <sigh>
If you really want to find out how the law works the information is easy to find.
Well I'll tell ya, it's not missinformation from a second ammendment lawyer who handles 500 gun cases a year on the average, he's a very busy second ammendment lawyer, as well as my own sister is an attorney who has handled several gun cases. I'm not new to any of this and by no means a kid, and been at it for 45 yrs. I'm out and about doing this stuff every week. Me and 4 friends ran a public gun room on yahoo for 20 yrs. I have friends who shoot in the professional realm of the gun world and who many of you would know, who write gun and hunting magazines and books.

There's alot of people out there who spout off things about this or that with gun laws that they think they know about before talking to people who do legal work on it for a living every day for yrs .

Bob Ferguson, AND Jay Inslee has ALREADY added more chit to the 1639 list since AFTER July 1st. Even " tube fed semi auto 22s are now assault guns" NOT just guns CAPABLE OF ACCEPTING A 10 ROUND DETACHABLE MAGS OR LARGER MAGAINZE! AND WITH IN A YEAR . If they don't over turn i-1639, tack-14
Remingtons And mossberg shock waves shotguns , along with stripped AR lower receivers are slated to be added to the list of wait times and subjected to I-1639 wording. They've already got it slated to be added.

ALSO young people now who could own such guns and did before I-1639 at ages 18, 19, 20 years old before January 1st 2019 when that part of the initiative took effect to.be 21 yrs old to buy or own and possess such guns, May NO LONGER OWN OR POSSESS, ANY SEMI AUTO RIFLE of ANY KIND, PERIOD, UNTIL THEY ARE 21 NOW. Even the county sherrifs deputy of 25 years who put on the assualt weapons class to get a certificate in order to be able to buy semi auto rifles and county prosector said that very same thing at the class I attended.
Doesn't really matter to me what someone else believes or doesn't, buy enough guns and you learn how that trip turns out pretty fast.:confused::rolleyes:

Last Edited:

The really sad part of this is the next big panic buying. Many of us remember what it was like last big panic round. The wait here was so long for those without a CPL that one shop I go to turned a co worker away who had cash in hand. Said he was waiting for his CPL and they told him to just come back when he had it since too many customers were all kinds of pissed off at the month or longer wait. Next time there is another rush the people doing the processing will again be backed up bad. With people who get paid every week no matter how they work so no reason to try to hurry :( For those couple years I was telling anyone who had interest in a hand gun to just go get a CPL first. It was worth the cost even if they did not want to carry. Now we all will get to wait like that. If there is any silver lining it will be that maybe it will make a lot more gun owners angry enough to bother to vote for a while.

Sadly this is the way it is. Some FFL's have mentioned that they will let a gun walk at the end of the time if they have not gotten the proceed. This is totally at the discretion and risk to the FFL holder if they do. So if they know you well they would be more likely to do this. It is putting all the legal risk on them though. If after they let you walk with the gun you turn around and shoot someone in a domestic or such, and then they find out the state said no, even though the FFL did follow the law you can bet some bottom feeder would be there wanting money. Huge risk for the dealer so I can see why so many will not. The entire hold up is on your CLEO, either Sheriff's department or City Police, depending on where you live. This like the Real ID act is all in the lap of the WA state legislature who was told by the feds when insta check went in that they needed to set up their own system to do it. WA sat on their hands and did nothing and the Feds finally said enough. So unless enough gun owners start to vote? Nothing is going to get better. Sucks but it's not the dealers fault even though a lot of them will take the heat for this.

B.C. came through today. 1 day short of 3 weeks to get permission to exercise a right I was born with. Maybe if I was a woman with a restraining order against a violent ex? Sure hope no one gets beat to death while waiting for their permission slip :mad:

You are new to WA, too? Where from, if I may ask? I have been here 17 days from PA. Different gun atmosphere!

@trevi
Been here over a year from the PRK.
Best life decision dear wife and I ever made. Everything is better in the PNW. At least better than California;)

Last Edited:
Been here over a year from the PRK.
Best life decision dear wife and I ever made. Everything is better in the PNW. At least better than California;)
Yep ID is looking better all the time for Wife and I. Problem is of course the migration. CA was ruined by anti folks who moved away from the mess they made. They then start in trying to make the new home just like the sewer they left. Then many of them moved up north and started again. Too many gun owners refuse to get involved when this starts and it just keeps getting worse. :(

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top