JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you read my original post i was simply asking if the law imposed a wait time on pistols. And if so what were people seeing for times. Personally i have no problem waiting for a gun. If the law keeps people from shooting up schools and businesses I'm all for it

Darn, I guess they'll just have to wait until next week to commit a shooting.

Nope. After 594 I was able, with my permit, to buy a gun, have them do their background checks, and walk out the door with the weapon.
That, because of the new law, is no longer possible.
Believe whatever you want to believe, it truly makes no difference to me.
I can only go on my own experiences.

As I said, because the FBI was doing courtesy NICS checks which they are no longer doing. Did you read/comprehend my post? Or Sporting System's posts- you know, the FFL that deals with these laws daily.

There is a three page discussion from last Oct that goes in detail exactly how this stems from I-594 and the FBI ending courtesy NICS checks- with emails from the WSP stating such. I should note that this thread dates to before the Nov election where I-1639 was passed. It's pretty hard for I-1639 to have changed the law before it was even passed!

Thread here.

This will be my last response to you, as I am beginning to understand what people felt like trying to explain the Earth is round and getting, "believe what you want, I see the horizon is straight therefore I know it's flat."

Last Edited:
And I guess it is purely coincidental that the courtesy NICS checks ended the same day as I-1639 went into effect, as the date was announced by the FBI before the election where I-1639 was passed.

If you read my original post i was simply asking if the law imposed a wait time on pistols. And if so what were people seeing for times. Personally i have no problem waiting for a gun. If the law keeps people from shooting up schools and businesses I'm all for it
Oh brother... facepalm.gif
Best of luck to you on that one.
Can you name a single law that has prevented ANY school/mall/theater/ workplace/anything from getting shot up? Just one?

"Personally i have no problem waiting for a gun. If the law keeps people from shooting up schools and businesses I'm all for it"

I finally figured this out - It's a stand up comedians line - It's hilarious!!

Bah-Da-Dumpt-Dumpt.....rimshot!
The problem in WA, illustrating itself. Too many ignorant types willing to throw other gun owners under the bus as long as "they aren't coming for mine"... SAR's were just a test case, next it'll be "evil concealed-carry killer" handguns and then everything else after.

What I have heard from Washington FFLs is five days or less.

I haven't had a 5 days or less since OBUMMER took office
The Biggest delay is the mental health evaluation that is being done
when a BGC is sent to any POLICE DEPT.
I have found that City Offices take less time
Normallt 10 biz days + or -

Before 1639 with a concealed carry permit you could wait in the shop while the check was taking place, if/when it came back positive you walked out the door with the pistol. Now, even with a permit you have to wait to pick up your gun, up to 10 days.
If I could walk out the door same day and now I can't.....then it most certainly created a waiting period for handguns.
Certainly not going to argue with you. The fact is that before the new law a permit-carrying citizen could walk out with his/her purchase on the same day, after the check.
Now, after this law, even with a carry permit, that is no longer possible.
Call it what you want, see it how you like.....that is a fact relating to this new gun law.
Nope. After 594 I was able, with my permit, to buy a gun, have them do their background checks, and walk out the door with the weapon.
That, because of the new law, is no longer possible.
Believe whatever you want to believe, it truly makes no difference to me.
I can only go on my own experiences.

Correlation is not causation. 1639 did not create waiting periods for handguns.
Where have you been or should i say what have you been smoking or drinking
1639 is a direct infringement on wait times

As others have said before me, it wasn't I-1639 that removed the CPL exemption for the wait period. What they didn't mention was the bill that did: HB 1465 is the actual law that removes said exemption. The legislature just made it an emergency so it would go into effect on the same day as I-1639. You can read it for yourself below:

Ray

I bought a new gun Saturday, 27-July. Currently in wait-mode.
And I think the delay will be dependent on how fast the municipality moves.
I have my doubts there will be any set standard wait, time-wise.

I bought a new gun Saturday, 27-July. Currently in wait-mode.
And I think the delay will be dependent on how fast the municipality moves.
I have my doubts there will be any set standard wait, time-wise.

The wait time will be dependent on how many employee's they have assigned to do the work. Before these changes the law was if you did not have a CPL the shop had to give them 5 days to run you. Then they changed it to 10 days. Shops could let the gun go at the end of the wait if the authorities had not given the "OK" by then. Some would, some shops would not. So during the last great panic this county it was taking 30 days often.
Now that the exemption is gone, has zero to do with I-1639 although an amazing number of people will not hear this no matter how many times it is shown to them. So since sales are down quite a bit now it's going fairly fast. Now next big panic buying time? That is when it will get fun again. When the agencies that do the work get back logged. If there is any silver lining to this, all I can hope is maybe more gun owners will finally wake up to what they are doing by not bothering to vote.

As others have said before me, it wasn't I-1639 that removed the CPL exemption for the wait period. What they didn't mention was the bill that did: HB 1465 is the actual law that removes said exemption. The legislature just made it an emergency so it would go into effect on the same day as I-1639. You can read it for yourself below:

Ray

You just agreed with me and you can't see it
what you just said was HB 1465 removed CC no waiting periods , But I submit that if had I-1639 not been passed nothing would have changed but I digress

what you just said was HB 1465 removed CC no waiting periods , But I submit that if had I-1639 not been passed nothing would have changed but I digress
Not sure I get what you think made the change here. I-1639 did not address hand guns at all. The loss of the insta check for those of us with a CPL was the State of WA dragging it's feet on setting up the system to keep doing this. The Feds had been doing it for the State for years, while telling the State they needed to come up with one of their own. The Feds finally had enough and said to the state we are done. Of course the state had little incentive to set up the system to make it so those of us with a CPL could just walk out with a gun. It will cost money to set this up and staff it. The people in power right now do not like us owning guns and gun owners keep putting anti gun people back in every election. So the people in charge have zero reason to care if they piss off more gun owners. So far gun owners keep showing them they are not going to pay a price for shafting them. After seeing gun owners vote in I-1639 making even the 10/22 an "assault weapon", I can see why the law makers feel fine giving the middle finger to gun owners.

I personally don't believe I did, as one was an initiative voted into law by idiots and the complacent and the other was a law enacted by anti-gun politicians in the legislature.

Now if you want to play the what if game.......... I believe that if had I-1639 not been passed, there would have been a plethora of gun control laws come out of the last session (including some pretty much the same laws as I-1639) to include: no state preemption, no gun under 21, safe storage, 10 wait on all guns (worse than HB 1465), AWB, Mag Ban, changing CPL's, no 80% and many more. All due to the democrat majorities in the legislature, along with the anti-gun dems hating firearms and having "to do something........." I personally believe that the reason that less (and less restrictive i.e. HB 1739) gun control laws were passed by the dems is becasue of I-1639 passing and them no going whole hog, it makes them look like they really do "support the 2nd Amendment", without having to add the "but..........."

Ray

I personally don't believe I did, as one was an initiative voted into law by idiots and the complacent and the other was a law enacted by anti-gun politicians in the legislature.

Now if you want to play the what if game.......... I believe that if had I-1639 not been passed, there would have been a plethora of gun control laws come out of the last session (including some pretty much the same laws as I-1639) to include: no state preemption, no gun under 21, safe storage, 10 wait on all guns (worse than HB 1465), AWB, Mag Ban, changing CPL's, no 80% and many more. All due to the democrat majorities in the legislature, along with the anti-gun dems hating firearms and having "to do something........." I personally believe that the reason that less (and less restrictive i.e. HB 1739) gun control laws were passed by the dems is becasue of I-1639 passing and them no going whole hog, it makes them look like they really do "support the 2nd Amendment", without having to add the "but..........."

Ray

Give em an inch they'll take a mile. And the citizens of that great state voted for it! Watch and see what happens next. It's for the Children! I would never vote my rights away. Many Men and Women have given there lives to uphold the constitution of this great Nation!

Washingtonians hurry and arm yourselves with rubber band shootahs and water balloons! You could even pour a Antifa (Aunt Teaffa) milkshake in a super soaker, if your nasty.

Last Edited:
Yesterday, we spent 2.5 hours in our shop with DOL firearms section leads going through things. Helping to fomulate what the new firearms processing system will look like. Next week, we have a meeting with 3 of our state legislators about fixing a number of items, one of which...is same day pick up with a valid CPL. We're proactively trying to fix a pile of issues resulting from 1639 AND from the FBI changes to FFL NICS access (unrelated by action, only related by timing). We'll post another Youtube update shortly.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top