JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you read my original post i was simply asking if the law imposed a wait time on pistols. And if so what were people seeing for times. Personally i have no problem waiting for a gun. If the law keeps people from shooting up schools and businesses I'm all for it

Those are very rare occasions, hyped up by the media. Better off buying a lottery ticket. Look at all of California gun laws and see if that's helping? Soon enough they will take away Our 1st amendment rights too.

The mandatory wait times are an infringement and should be stricken by the courts. Are the courts ever going to honor the "shall not be infringed" language strictly as written? Very unlikely.

Waiting periods do not prevent gun deaths because criminals don't buy them at FFLs they buy them on the black market. Some people throughout history have bought guns at an FFL and then decided much later to use them for criminal purposes long after the waiting period expired. There are also people who are dead today because they could not take their self defense firearms with them to "gun free zones" or take them home in a timely manner. Waiting periods are another "feel good" gun control measure. Did Kate Steinle's killer get his handgun legally? No, it was stolen from a cop.

If you read my original post i was simply asking if the law imposed a wait time on pistols. And if so what were people seeing for times. Personally i have no problem waiting for a gun. If the law keeps people from shooting up schools and businesses I'm all for it
I too would have no problem waiting for a gun if it did in fact keep people from shooting up schools and businesses. The problem however is that there is zero evidnce that it does this. Zero … for a multiple of reasons, some already mentioned in this thread.

And ...

There is ample evidence that shows waiting periods have in fact endangered and cost innocent persons their lives, and actually in some situations increase violent crime (FBI Uniform Crime Statistics).

Regarding OP's original question guys ... it was a straighforward question. To assume whether the OP voted or not is a bit over the top don't you think?

Cheers!

Last Edited:
1639 only talks about wait times for Semi-Automatic assault rifles. I'm asking about hand guns. I didn't see anything in there about handguns.
Before 1639 with a concealed carry permit you could wait in the shop while the check was taking place, if/when it came back positive you walked out the door with the pistol. Now, even with a permit you have to wait to pick up your gun, up to 10 days.

Before 1639 with a concealed carry permit you could wait in the shop while the check was taking place, if/when it came back positive you walked out the door with the pistol. Now, even with a permit you have to wait to pick up your gun, up to 10 days.
Correlation is not causation. 1639 did not create waiting periods for handguns.

"If the law keeps people from shooting up schools and businesses I'm all for it"

Did you come to this site as a pro-gun person or...?

Why do I ask?

Your statement sounds anti-gun to me, please tell me I'm wrong.

Nope, not attacking, merely curious...

Thanks!

If I could walk out the door same day and now I can't.....then it most certainly created a waiting period for handguns.
So everything that happened in the firearms world after July 1st was caused by I1639? SportingSystems has posted the explanation of the handgun background check processing changes on NWFA. The important takeaway is that handgun background checks for CPL holders could go back to the ten minute days if the state hires more background processing analysts. If it was a legally mandated waiting period that would not be true.

So everything that happened in the firearms world after July 1st was caused by I1639? SportingSystems has posted the explanation of the handgun background check processing changes on NWFA. The important takeaway is that handgun background checks for CPL holders could go back to the ten minute days if the state hires more background processing analysts. If it was a legally mandated waiting period that would not be true.
Certainly not going to argue with you. The fact is that before the new law a permit-carrying citizen could walk out with his/her purchase on the same day, after the check.
Now, after this law, even with a carry permit, that is no longer possible.
Call it what you want, see it how you like.....that is a fact relating to this new gun law.

Texans, thank de lord, after filling out the 4473 and with an LTC walk out de doh wif they shooting iron, short or long gun.

So, I suggest move out of commie land and come to Texas.

We like pro-gun folk, though yes, we have some anti-gun commies in our big cities.

They cling to each other in commie grocery stores like whole foods after hosing themselves down and reeking of patchouli oil, wearing their goofy birkenstocks, tye died tee shirts while mournfully singing the internationale...and avoiding eye contact with anyone dressed and looking normal...

"Personally i have no problem waiting for a gun. If the law keeps people from shooting up schools and businesses I'm all for it"

I finally figured this out - It's a stand up comedians line - It's hilarious!!

Bah-Da-Dumpt-Dumpt.....rimshot!

Certainly not going to argue with you. The fact is that before the new law a permit-carrying citizen could walk out with his/her purchase on the same day, after the check.
Now, after this law, even with a carry permit, that is no longer possible.
Call it what you want, see it how you like.....that is a fact relating to this new gun law.

Calling something a fact in italics does not make it so. The ending of point of sale NICS checks for CPL holders has nothing to do with I-1639. If that law were repealed in its entirety, you would still have to wait to get your pistol.

I-594 directed that all background checks for purchases be done using a bunch of state databases in addition to NICS. The state had some sort of deal with the feds where for CPLs they would do a point of sale NICS check to release the pistol and then the state would do the "official" background check later- including a second NICS check. The deal was based on the state getting their new system set up in a timely manner.

Fast forward a few years and then FBI is out of patience, so no more courtesy NICS checks. Why they chose the same day that I-1639 went into effect is a mystery. Maybe someone there figured since there were so many changes happening 1 Jul, it would be smoother to do this at the same time.

As User 1234 pointed out, correlation is not causation. Two unrelated things happened to take place in the same day. Don't believe me? Post the section of I-1639 that states CPLs must undergo a state background check. Here's a hint, it's not there. It is in I-594 if you want to look.

Nope. After 594 I was able, with my permit, to buy a gun, have them do their background checks, and walk out the door with the weapon.
That, because of the new law, is no longer possible.
Believe whatever you want to believe, it truly makes no difference to me.
I can only go on my own experiences.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top