JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lack of availability drives em up.
But not on its own, it has to be desirable for some reason. Publicity.....like a commonly seen article or program, historical importance, nostalgia, sometimes quality or capabilities. It is a combination of many things that insure long term appreciation where a single event can give specific values a bump. Hudson Hornets got a quick bump in value when the movie "cars" came out featuring the lead character of an ex-race car Hudson voiced by Paul Newman but over time the prices have moderated again. Guns are the same way. They can get a bump but need continued interest to maintain steady above average appreciation.

Well, desirability can come from lack of availability too. Just depends on what it is.

What would make something like the WA2000 desirable to the general public? Very few exist. Lack of availability made it a collector's piece. And I don't even like to think of the cost.

Personally, I wouldn't want a WA2000 even if I could get one for $200, but it is what it is.

Well, desirability can come from lack of availability too. Just depends on what it is.

What would make something like the WA2000 desirable to the general public? Very few exist. Lack of availability made it a collector's piece. And I don't even like to think of the cost.

Personally, I wouldn't want a WA2000 even if I could get one for $200, but it is what it is.
Don't know what that is......pocket pistols made in the San Gabriel valley in the 70's (before being outlawed and labeled Saturday night specials) are uncommon today but have no value because they are junk. I don't like a lot of things that there are enough other people that do to drive the prices up. I collect cars, guns, knives and airplanes. Every one has different taste but it takes 2 people wanting the same thing to drive up prices. I don't do Fords but love my 1920 Packard 1 ton truck. Wouldn't trade it for a dozen mustangs. That is what makes a collection.

Don't know what that is......pocket pistols made in the San Gabriel valley in the 70's (before being outlawed and labeled Saturday night specials) are uncommon today but have no value because they are junk. I don't like a lot of things that there are enough other people that do to drive the prices up. I collect cars, guns, knives and airplanes. Every one has different taste but it takes 2 people wanting the same thing to drive up prices. I don't do Fords but love my 1920 Packard 1 ton truck. Wouldn't trade it for a dozen mustangs. That is what makes a collection.
Of course junk will still be cheap. But things that aren't junk, but aren't top notch quality, can still increase in price by rarity alone.

The WA 2000 is one example. It wasn't very accurate from what information is available. Only a little over 170 were made, and only a little under 40 even exist here in the states. Lack of availability, or rather rarity, can be the reason something is expensive. As long as it isn't a complete piece of junk. I wouldn't say it was top notch quality, but due to rarity I wouldn't know.

For reference, this ugly thing is the WA 2000.
Walther_cropped-660x372.jpg

I like Colts too.:)
I am a Colt guy too......but more for there quality than potential appreciation. You have good taste. I have 5 Mercedes too. Quality is always the first thing that attracts my attention. I like historical and personal connections as well but am not above developing a new taste. I don't buy many new guns, but am obsessing over a Korth revolver right now......may have to do one of those. I have Pythons, Troopers, 1878's, 1902's, 1917's.....all fun historic stuff. There are still deals around particularly for someone that is willing to accept a shooter grade (that I prefer)

Of course junk will still be cheap. But things that aren't junk, but aren't top notch quality, can still increase in price by rarity alone.

The WA 2000 is one example. It wasn't very accurate from what information is available. Only a little over 170 were made, and only a little under 40 even exist here in the states. Lack of availability, or rather rarity, can be the reason something is expensive. As long as it isn't a complete piece of junk. I wouldn't say it was top notch quality, but due to rarity I wouldn't know.

For reference, this ugly thing is the WA 2000.
View attachment 409143
Bull pup designs in general are ugly, I consider my SCAR 17's ugly too but is is quality and there is nothing that shoots like it. I am sure that type design appreciation is driven by some video game junkies that relate to it. I relate to the old German hunters clad in a green wool cape, a boar bristle brush in there hat, descreetly carrying a Manlicher set trigger carbine with a 56mm scope attached. My son's are all married to tall blonds it is just taste and preference.

Well, the AUG is quality (considering the stuff they did during the tests for it :eek:) and shoots well for what it was designed for... But it being a Cold War design was what got my interest. Its robustness and all that are a bonus. Now if the original design was being made and imported that would have been better.

But even then... Still have limits. For example, I wouldn't want a SA80. Its reputation isn't that of quality. o_O

My guess would be the Scout Type rifles.

Detachable magazines, 10+ round capacity, bolt action, iron sights with optic options in common Hunting calibers.

The reason I say this is the Surplus Rifles are getting harder to find, (harder, not impossible or cheap).

With States already banning semi auto rifles, and the constant pressure to ban them at the Federal Level, it's only a matter of time before it happens.

It will leave a void for recreational Tactical style shooters.

A Scout style Rifle is a good jack of all trades, with some aftermarket support now. The aftermarket support for them should expand when Semi-autos are banned (eventually).

For example, an Enfield Jungle Carbine is/would/could be a quality choice of rifle to fill the void of the AR/AK, but there is only a limited number, so their asking price will increase. A Savage Scout or Ruger Gunsite Scout will be comparable in price, with more options for mags, optics, calibers, stocks etc etc.

The supply of the types of rifles will not be able to keep up with the demand for a while.

And their pretty cool guns to begin with.

I bought an aug 30 some years ago.....it shot well but became more valuable to other people than it was to me. It really didn't do anything my Colt AR's wouldn't do with better Parts availability and less cost. It is an interesting design and off course Steyr is a world class designer/manufacturer. I was at there factory in Austria a couple of years ago. I have a Steyr M95 carbine (in honor of my Hungarian wife) that is incredible quality. My primary deer size game rifle is a left handed Steyr Manlicher carbine in 6.5X55 that is wonderful except for the plastic trigger guard and magazine. There wouldn't be near as many products if we all had the same taste.

I like Steyr's quality when it comes to rifles. But their marketing... Practically nonexistant.

Their scout rifle is neat, but would be better if they had it with iron sights.

My guess would be the Scout Type rifles.

Detachable magazines, 10+ round capacity, bolt action, iron sights with optic options in common Hunting calibers.

The reason I say this is the Surplus Rifles are getting harder to find, (harder, not impossible or cheap).

With States already banning semi auto rifles, and the constant pressure to ban them at the Federal Level, it's only a matter of time before it happens.

It will leave a void for recreational Tactical style shooters.

A Scout style Rifle is a good jack of all trades, with some aftermarket support now. The aftermarket support for them should expand when Semi-autos are banned (eventually).

For example, an Enfield Jungle Carbine is/would/could be a quality choice of rifle to fill the void of the AR/AK, but there is only a limited number, so their asking price will increase. A Savage Scout or Ruger Gunsite Scout will be comparable in price, with more options for mags, optics, calibers, stocks etc etc.

The supply of the types of rifles will not be able to keep up with the demand for a while.

And their pretty cool guns to begin with.
I like that configuration a lot too. Ruger makes there's in left hand as well that I am sure is a good product but I have never been able to warm up mass produced investment cast guns. If Steyr would make a left handed Scout, I would own a 308 and 375 version. My eyes don't work well with an EER scope either but conventional mounts are available. Gun control issues are not new, John Brownings last design was the magnificent Superposed shotgun. He said it would be the last gun that grabbers would be after,

I love the Winchesters, one of the greatest guns ever and most who handle them want one so yes Winchesters will sell in my opinion. I am not sure how much they will go up but you are right people will want them.

I think this is a safe bet. Winchester is an iconic American brand that is all but gone.. Last summer as I was admiring my (small) collection of firearms I realized I didn't have a Winchester, so I fixed that problem asap.. I can't rightly describe the powerful sense of nostalgia I get from holding it.. I think with the popularity of shows like Godless and Longmire the older Marlins and Winchesters will start drying up. Even the later models w/ safeties will eventually disappear, because there is a price point for every collector.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top