JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Years ago it was WWII weapons. Now there getting pricy.

Ten years ago sub $1000 Pythons were out there.
Lord! Those things got stupid. :s0108:

Now I have picked a couple that I believe are undervalued, for the comparable market.
They are showing a sharp shift towards being more expensive. But are still a bargain. ;)

First is the pre 64 model 94 Winchesters.
I'm still finding nice carbines for under $450. And seeing them sell for much more.

Second would be Blued S&W guns. They are still something you can pick up at a fair price. And there showing some real strength.
Great revolvers, made with true craftsmanship.

OK. That's it.

I'm convinced that I have the ''Midas touch''. :D
What do you guys think are undervalued guns, about to take off?

I believe Colt will go under soon so most Colts will go up for a while. I like the SAA now, hard to get allready and only two people left in the custom shop making them. Both set to retire soon from what I hear but who knows. What will make the best value in my opinion is guns you will be able to get parts for, lots of old guns you can' get parts for now. Colt SAA has been made since 1873 and they won't run out of parts while I am alive.o_O

Ten years ago sub $1000 Pythons were out there.
Lord! Those things got stupid. :s0108:

Is there any reason why their prices have gone so nuts? I realize they aren't made any more and that they are (generally) very solid revolvers, but I see them listed at $2,000-$5,000+ at times. :confused:

That said, if I ever came across a Colt Anaconda at a semi-reasonable rate, I'd jump on it. The odds of that happening is pretty remote though.

Is there any reason why their prices have gone so nuts? I realize they aren't made any more and that they are (generally) very solid revolvers, but I see them listed at $2,000-$5,000+ at times. :confused:

That said, if I ever came across a Colt Anaconda at a semi-reasonable rate, I'd jump on it. The odds of that happening is pretty remote though.

I am offering an opinion that others may not share about Colts.:) The Python was one of the finest made revolvers ever produced but they were hand fitted and expensive to build. Their lock system is fragile so you have to have good smith's and parts available to keep them running. A work of art but not something you wouldnt shoot much.

Again just opinion but betting on the come is difficult in today's world. Seems the big sellers are black blasters that don't have a future unless they get banned. I have friends who bought AR guns betting Hillary would get elected and the guns would climb in value, that failed... thank god.:D

Again just opinion but betting on the come is difficult in today's world. Seems the big sellers are black blasters that don't have a future unless they get banned. I have friends who bought AR guns betting Hillary would get elected and the guns would climb in value, that failed... thank god.:D

I see the logic. If there Ban. You cant get them anymore.
And the price goes up.

The same is true for guns that are no longer made. ;)

Agreed but "good" guns that are no longer made. Betting on the future is difficult but having a really good gun by the standards of most people should insure it's value. It's kinda like really good target guns, who shoots bullseye now days? The young guys tend to go for the blasters in the latest polymer construction and have little intrest in fine Smith and Colts that cost too much.

I think there is a peak dollar amount for the age of each person that they will spend in general. The higher dollar amount the fewer buyers so hitting that peak at the right time to earn profit is going to take luck and strategy. I am leaving my guns to my family so I am not worried about profit for myself but hope the family does ok when I am gone.:cool:

The two firearms you picked aren't scarce, but are fairly well made for a mass market firearm.
There are a still a lot of collectors out there with open check books.
Just watch the crazy prices paid for guns at one of Rock Island Auctions internet events.
I'm always looking at "Jack The Dog" internet auctions and his consignment firearm "penny start" end of auction prices consistently top out 1/3rd more then any other internet sales venue.
He only consigns 95% or better quality guns and his photos are second to none, which I think helps alleviates the buyers fears in being swindled.
In the old days, most collectors were consistently upgrading their collections and would sell off their lesser grade models.
It sure made it easier for the new guy trying to enter the game.
As far as predicting what's next I would say Colt Diamondbacks and vintage HK pistols.

Agreed but "good" guns that are no longer made. Betting on the future is difficult but having a really good gun by the standards of most people should insure it's value. It's kinda like really good target guns, who shoots bullseye now days? The young guys tend to go for the blasters in the latest polymer construction and have little intrest in fine Smith and Colts that cost too much.

I think there is a peak dollar amount for the age of each person that they will spend in general. The higher dollar amount the fewer buyers so hitting that peak at the right time to earn profit is going to take luck and strategy. I am leaving my guns to my family so I am not worried about profit for myself but hope the family does ok when I am gone.:cool:

People collect all manor of things.
That strategy you mention, is part of the enjoyment.

To Collect, build, shoot, and hunt with.
Are all part of the joy of guns.

And there way better than stamps and doilies. :D

The wasr.... By virtue of being AK, and AK going up in price. I say that in the hopes of being wrong.

FALs are going up, even parts kits aren't cheap. Hell, I'm sitting on a kit that doesn't match but could still go for quite a bit.

People collect all manor of things.
That strategy you mention, is part of the enjoyment.

To Collect, build, shoot, and hunt with.
Are all part of the joy of guns.

And there way better than stamps and doilies. :D

Oh heck yes.. What makes a gun valuable is its fun. The old guns are historical fun so they hold good value and plenty of shooters drag out that old gun so the youngsters get to play. I buy my guns for fun, I enjoy shooting. I try not to buy a money pit and really like Accurate guns because they are fun. I don't sell much but trade some to try another gun but that slowed down with the screwed up laws but fun is always the goal.:)

I'll venture a guess . . . IF Remington disappears the value of the current R51 will increase dramatically no matter what you think of them!!

Sheldon

Hi there,

I think you may be right, Winchester went under and those guns went up. When I buy a gun I look at who the next owner will be when I croak:confused: hopefully I bought easy to sell stuff.

Just ask yourself the question when you buy a gun, "who will be the next owner?". Lots of guys just buy guns as tools and wear them out because they don' care what it' worth, it's serving it's purpose. A collectable has a following for a reason or reasons. Discontinued has its reasons too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top