JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
"I lived in the US for a very long time, if it would happen anywhere, it would have happened in the US," he told CNN afterward. "Now it's spreading like a disease to Europe as well."
He pointed to a recent spate of shootings elsewhere in the continent, saying: "You see this happen in Denmark, Serbia, and now here. This is incredibly frightening, you know?"
How is this possible in a continent whos gun control laws are much stricter than the US?

The gunman killed at least 14 people and wounded 25, in the Czech Republic's deadliest mass shooting in decades. Police said the gunman, a 24-year-old man, was a student of the Faculty of Arts at the university, but has not been formally identified because of the severity of his injuries. He has not been named.

I think the Czech Republic is the one country in the European Union that comes the closest to having a 2A... in that licenses to own, purchase firearms are "shall issue" as long as the citizen meets the requirements including a mental health check and police BG check?

I think the Czech Republic is the one country in the European Union that comes the closest to having a 2A... in that licenses to own, purchase firearms are "shall issue" as long as the citizen meets the requirements including a mental health check and police BG check?
I recall this is correct, but its interesting the media is reporting there is a rise in mass shootings all across Europe.

Don't you just love how they take every opportunity they can lay hands on to slip in their BS rhetoric(?) The article didn't seem to contain many details of the shooting itself, just a rhetoric plug.

"... there have been 642 mass shootings so far this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive. More than 80 of those shootings have taken place at schools and universities..."

Pretty flat out stating that "mass shootings" like the one they are reporting on in the Prague incident occur in the U.S. on a daily basis.

Then later... 80 school shootings this year?? Does anyone remember hearing about EIGHTY school mass shootings over that past 12 months?? 7 school mass shooting per month??

I call BS, but... it 'is' the China News Network.

Then later... 80 school shootings this year?? Does anyone remember hearing about EIGHTY school mass shootings over that past 12 months?? 7 school mass shooting per month??

I call BS, but... it 'is' the China News Network.
You just don't know what a school shooting is (sarcasm, but nothing to laugh at). Actual school shootings make the news. Anything else on or around school properties make the stats.

We never hear about the school lock downs because of crazy knife wielding people, gang fights or other reasons. I know of one in Ca. A near naked man (PCP probably) with a knife tried to get in a elementary school. Never made the news.

How is this possible in a continent whos gun control laws are much stricter than the US?
I'm guessing that this is a rhetorical question.
But if is ain't....

Someone broke a law...and kept a gun...didn't register a gun...stole a gun....bought a stolen gun....
That is just one of many easy answers here ...
Laws are broken every day...and the old saying of Prohibition does not prohibit...still holds true.

The more difficult question to answer is...
Why did someone think a shooting...be it a "mass shooting" or an individual shooting...was the answer to what was bothering them...?
Andy

"Spreading like a disease" - interesting statement.

We're told constantly that what we need to stop "gun violence" are strict controls like gun and magazine bans, psych evaluations and permit to purchase. These things are all in place in Europe and have been for decades, yet the "disease" spreads.

This tells me that the problem is not guns. The problem is people- messed up, depraved, hopeless people.

"Spreading like a disease" - interesting statement.

We're told constantly that what we need to stop "gun violence" are strict controls like gun and magazine bans, psych evaluations and permit to purchase. These things are all in place in Europe and have been for decades, yet the "disease" spreads.

This tells me that the problem is not guns. The problem is people- messed up, depraved, hopeless people.
It's always been the people. Ever since the first flint spear, since the first sharpened stick, since the first heavy rock, and the first choke... it's the person's heart, their mental state that is the problem and not the tool used to kill.

I'm guessing that this is a rhetorical question.
But if is ain't....

Someone broke a law...and kept a gun...didn't register a gun...stole a gun....bought a stolen gun....
That is just one of many easy answers here ...
Laws are broken every day...and the old saying of Prohibition does not prohibit...still holds true.

The more difficult question to answer is...
Why did someone think a shooting...be it a "mass shooting" or an individual shooting...was the answer to what was bothering them...?
Andy
I agree with you but FWIW the article reported the gunman owned his guns and had permits for them.

"The Prague gunman had a gun permit and owned several weapons, according to Czech Police President Martin Vondrášek."

I agree with you but FWIW the article reported the gunman owned his guns and had permits for them.

"The Prague gunman had a gun permit and owned several weapons, according to Czech Police President Martin Vondrášek."
Soooo...
Then the question should be....
Why did the shooter think that shooting someone would solve his problem...?
And not How is this possible with gun control laws....

Gun control does not control dangerous / criminal behavior.
It does however control lawful people and their behavior.
Andy

A quote from a Danish drama queen which happened to make it into a single headline means… not much…
The CNN article validated a rise in mass shootings citing several more examples. If anything, CNN used it as an opportunity to blame those countries that has "relatively liberal" gun laws than the rest of Europe.

Soooo...
Then the question should be....
Why did the shooter think that shooting someone would solve his problem...?

Gun control does not control dangerous / criminal behavior.
It does however control lawful people and their behavior.
Andy
I agree with you, your asking the root problem question.
The problem is the majority of society doesn't seem to want to tackle those questions, they want to give up their freedom to have the means to protect themselves in the belief that these people who let their rage overwhelm them wont be able to get the guns they need to act out their rage. Consider, for someone who has made a conscious choice to not take responsibility for their own self defense, it only makes sense to disarm everyone else in society.... to even the playing field so to speak.
Therein lies the gun control problem... "I don't believe in something so you shouldn't either".

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top