JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is what I think is funny about the whole argument. Cheap doesn't mean quality. It never has. It may coincide with reliable, but it doesn't cause it.
Correct, cheap is often the opposite of quality, if by the term "quality" you're implying good quality. My point is quality can be objectively measured and soul can not. I'd even debate souls aren't real- but who am I to suck out the feeling? If we're talking about wood and steel having soul versus plastic and steel not having any…well I can measure reliability and weight, reloading speed and ease, accuracy and other empirical values that are part of the inherent design. Soul on the other hand has no measurable standard, is completely subjective and sentimental. If that's what you're after- the anthropomorphism of safe/beauty queens, or whatever you deem as "nice guns" have at it.
When the OP asked "what are you feelings?" I expected a lot of opinions where egos were inexplicably intertwined with identity to be expressed here. Often if you have a differing opinion on something that someone's built part of their personality off of- they feel you're attacking them because of their idea/identity has assimilated.
I guess to answer the OP's question, my feeling is best described with some Xibalba lyrics. "No soul, no identity, no peace, no serenity." Perhaps I'm too pragmatic for my own good.

Last Edited:
Correct, cheap is often the opposite of quality, if by the term "quality" you're implying good quality. My point is quality can be objectively measured and soul can not. I'd even debate souls aren't real- but who am I to suck out the feeling? If we're talking about wood and steel having soul versus plastic and steel not having any…well I can measure reliability and weight, reloading speed and ease, accuracy and other empirical values that are part of the inherent design. Soul on the other hand has no measurable standard, is completely subjective and sentimental. If that's what you're after, the anthropomorphism of safe/beauty queens, have at it.
A dementor. Obviously.

Correct, cheap is often the opposite of quality, if by the term "quality" you're implying good quality. My point is quality can be objectively measured and soul can not. I'd even debate souls aren't real- but who am I to suck out the feeling? If we're talking about wood and steel having soul versus plastic and steel not having any…well I can measure reliability and weight, reloading speed and ease, accuracy and other empirical values that are part of the inherent design. Soul on the other hand has no measurable standard, is completely subjective and sentimental. If that's what you're after, the anthropomorphism of safe/beauty queens, have at it.
I won't assign a soul to an inanimate object. But I'll definitely take the measurables of a quality firearm. Why wouldn't you carry a quality firearm? Doesn't being a safe queen insinuate some belief the gun is of more worth than something else? There's something else to your argument than just perceived reliability.

I won't assign a soul to an inanimate object. But I'll definitely take the measurables of a quality firearm. Why wouldn't you carry a quality firearm? Doesn't being a safe queen insinuate some belief the gun is of more worth than something else? There's something else to your argument than just perceived reliability.
Pick any of them.
Brand loyalty
Belief that value is higher as safe queens
Status (look at these fine guns I don't shoot!)
Fashion; its popular or goes against conventional wisdom (maybe same as status?)

Quality is quantitative, so is reliability. I carry a G17 with an RMR, X300U and 38 HST +P's. Those have had the piss beat out of them and still work. Something with soul on the other hand doesn't have a value for me. Even if it did, I'd rather live shooting something without soul than die shooting something that had that certain… je ne sais quoi.

... je ne sais quoi...
Jenny says what?

Your gun sounds plenty capable. I carry something very similar on duty because I have no choice. I just don't find them very inspiring. I don't get the warm fuzzy feeling when I can see through the gap between the slide and frame and read the book on the other side.

What's strange is I don't like craft beer, drive reliable/boring vehicles, and if I'm wearing a suit it means court/funeral/job interview.

Jenny says what?

Your gun sounds plenty capable. I carry something very similar on duty because I have no choice. I just don't find them very inspiring. I don't get the warm fuzzy feeling when I can see through the gap between the slide and frame and read the book on the other side.

What's strange is I don't like craft beer, drive reliable/boring vehicles, and if I'm wearing a suit it means court/funeral/job interview.
It's only as capable as I am. The point was to show I'm an advocate of quality, not to brag. After countless rounds and abuse, I'm okay with it only inspiring confidence. You see frame gap, I've seen it act as a mud and ice egress.
For me, if I want something in my hand to make my jellies tingle, I'll grab my wife's butt.

Last Edited:
It's only as capable as I am. The point was to show I'm an advocate of quality, not to brag. After countless rounds and abuse, I'm okay with it only inspiring confidence. You see frame gap, I've seen it act as a mud and ice egress.
For me, if I want something in my hand to make my jellies tingle, I'll grab my wife's bubblegum.
Get a lot of ice and mud in your gun?

I'll jump in on the quality bandwagon. If the gun doesn't function reliably there isn't likely to be anything positive to think or say about it.
I have some guns that were known as inexpensive (cheap) guns in their time (80-55 years ago) and they are fine guns. Well made, accurate and reliable. One's an old Marlin 81DL and the other's a mid 60's Ruger Standard. These happen to be the first two firearms I ever shot and when I hold them I feel a stirring in my soul because of our history together. I've seen cheap stuff made long after these two were and they're crap. Seems "cheap" got even "cheaper" as the years went by.
Many see polymer as "the cheap way", when there are actually several other positive attributes. Being pretty isn't usually one of those. Yet I can see the kid that first shot one of the plastic stocked, $169 Ruger 10-22's or a Chipmunk having the exact same feelings towards those guns several years down the road as I do towards mine.
Some people are sentimental. Some aren't.
My avatar pic is the gun that had two different synthetic stocks before I started longing for the "good old days".

There are plenty of firearms of the "soulful" variety that are also incredibly reliable and withstand daily abuse. Likewise, there are plenty of "soulless" firearms that are nothing more than oddly shaped paperweights!

The sentimentality attributed to a firearm that gives it "soul" does not inherently mean it must be an expensive, finicky, and babied safe queen!

As a car enthusiast, newer vehicles do nothing for me. You couldn't pay me to own one for numerous reasons.

Today's vehicles are overpriced POS!
I bought my first new car in November 2020. It wasn't cheap, but I have a car that makes more horsepower than a 67 Vette with a 427/425HP, will run circles around the same Vette, yet knock down well over 25MPG on a hiway cruise. It's like a Tupperware gun for cars! :s0053: I love that car.

But our small collection of earlier cars (30 Ford Model A, 47 CJ-2A Willys, 57 Chev 150, 65 Mustang and F250) is the stuff that makes people reminisce.

Maybe age equates to soul?

Something to consider here :

Maybe "soul" is whatever you put into a firearm....not the firearm itself.
What you do with your firearms is important...how you use them , and how you view them can be related .
Yet , it can also be different for different firearms and even different people.

As I said in a earlier post here...
I understand the notion that firearms are tools.
I also know that I have some firearms , than mean a whole Hell of a lot more to me , than just its function / 'toolability".
And yes I understand that is me placing something more than just value or worth on a firearm.

Again...maybe that is what gives a firearm "soul"....and why some folks do that...and others don't.

In any event...
Shoot , use and enjoy your firearms as you see fit...just do so safely.
Andy

... I'd not stock my AR with wood, ...
They can look really nice if you do it right.

e1336f02ecc60c83d9996d129571cf95.jpg

Not mine; I just think it looks great.

At the end of the day a tool is a tool. But I do believe something "crafted" from wood and metal has more of a "soul" than something mass assembled.

My AR is a great tool and has a purpose.
1F686E1F-A40D-497F-8531-E077CC17D837.jpeg

My 1873 is a great tool and has a purpose.
B14B3242-3435-4F8F-ADAF-5318C829BAE0.jpeg

My 1873 is named Annie Oakley... the AR has no name.... make of that what you will.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top