JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I get "Something" when I'm holding and studying the wood stock and metal of this model 1894 Swedish Mauser manufactured in 1902. The small dings in the wood. I'm sure those high nickel content bolt parts and mag follower likely look exactly the same as they did when it came from the Carl Gustaf factory in Sweden in 1902. People long gone have held and looked at that rifle the same way I do. I have a S&W pre model 15 that my father's step father carried as a law enforcement officer in the Los Angeles county area. There's stories in that gun. The same goes for my recent acquisition of a Winchester model 94 dated to Dec 1941-Jan 1942. Practically no honest wear on it except a thinning of the bluing, with patina on the lower front of the receiver. It's new to me so I'm going to have to handle it a lot more I think.
All that isn't technically a "Soul" I guess. But it's what twists MY nipples! :D And I have to figure that it's that same kind of thing that has driven a lot of the members here to do what we do. Soul enough for me.

All those people who grew up in the 50's, 60's and 70's with

View attachment 1165974

View attachment 1165975
View attachment 1165976

Who then got into business in the 80's and 90's and made decisions like this:

View attachment 1165977

View attachment 1165978

Don't talk to me about "soul".
Not all of us. I went from 65 gto, 65-66 mustangs, 68 firebird etc in high school to 928s, boxster, beemers, etc. but then I didn't grow up in the 50s, 60s, or 70s. Top pic reminds me that I always wanted a 57 Chevy 2 door hardtop or 56'. Not a priority anymore now though and I probably should get rid of about 8 cars.

Wow, you really lost it. Hopefully, you have been through rehab and are fully recovered.
I turned a good guy gun

800E9755-DF80-4266-BDD0-E4760B27721F.jpeg

Into a bad guy gun

3AFBD7B9-912D-4D74-ABDA-CCF2AFECB2EF.jpeg

How'm I doing?

I love wood stocks and steel handguns. But I have plenty without any soul. For me, the time with the gun gives it soul. My first .22 and the Remington 870 from Christmas in 1978 that went with me to the trap range as a teen, they have soul. My Kimber 1911 that was in my hands to win the mid-week shoot off during the first trip to Gunsite, it has soul. Guns that protected me at work, were pointed at lots of people, and thankfully never had their triggers pulled during any of these encounters have a special soul. To anyone else, they likely just look like guns.

The sporterized '06 that my dad spent months hand rubbing a French polish on that is in my care now, may have a noticeable soul to others. But for me it is in the experience with the gun (or car, or other inanimate object) that conjures a feeling when it is in your hands.

I project my feelings onto my guns, and in return I get certain feelings when handling them. Not to be cheesy, but I get an "American feeling" if you know what I mean. But the main thing I want to say is that this doesn't occur with guns in a vacuum. In particular, that feeling includes a lot of leather goods, such as the leather sheath for my hunting knife, the leather case I keep on my belt for spare ammo, leather holster, leather slings on rifles, etc. If you're a hunter then you'll likely relate to the idea that leather just seems to go with guns, and there is a certain smell, and even sound, that comes from the combination of guns and leather that takes me back to great memories of hunting trips from years past.

I love wood stocks and steel handguns. But I have plenty without any soul. For me, the time with the gun gives it soul. My first .22 and the Remington 870 from Christmas in 1978 that went with me to the trap range as a teen, they have soul. My Kimber 1911 that was in my hands to win the mid-week shoot off during the first trip to Gunsite, it has soul. Guns that protected me at work, were pointed at lots of people, and thankfully never had their triggers pulled during any of these encounters have a special soul. To anyone else, they likely just look like guns.

The sporterized '06 that my dad spent months hand rubbing a French polish on that is in my care now, may have a noticeable soul to others. But for me it is in the experience with the gun (or car, or other inanimate object) that conjures a feeling when it is in your hands.
Oh man. This ^^ is GOOD. I'm so new to guns, a little over ten years, that I have to get my feelings from those that handled them in the past.

Blued steel and walnut firearms are lovingly crafted by their creators, master craftsmen in both wood and steel, carefully measuring, filing, fitting and finishing with great care and pride. This imbues them with a soul.

Plastic, aluminum, and matte-black firearms are mass-produced with molds and CNC machines, churned out by the millions with little or no human contact, much like the orcs from the mud of Middle Earth. They are made for only killing, and have no beauty or pride, hence no soul.

Just kidding!
Shoot what you like, what you enjoy and works best for you. In reality it's just a tool; any "soul" in an inanimate object is imputed by the user.
Mebbe "imputed" by the hands of The Craftsman.

Joe

I'll never understand this infatuation certain humans have with assigning emotional and personality traits to non-living objects.
So your house doesn't have a soul, your grandmas house has no soul. how about a 200+ year old house............does it have soul? a house is a living breathing object because it is inhabited by people, a gun can be the same thing i think.

You are doing awesome. Please don't relapse.

Nice work. By the way, that appears to be a Vaquero 5.5". What caliber is it? And does it have a two digit prefix serial number?
It's a Vaq that I set up for CAS style competition. .357/.38, 3 digit serial (516-), lighter hammer spring and trigger return spring, Blackhawk style hammer and trigger from Power Customs. Pawl and transfer bar mods done by me.

Cylinder free spins in both directions when hammer is down, "click" spins clockwise on half cock, and the trigger breaks very, very easily. I'm fairly proud of this one. If it's got soul, it's part of mine that it's got.

So your house doesn't have a soul, your grandmas house has no soul. how about a 200+ year old house............does it have soul? a house is a living breathing object because it is inhabited by people, a gun can be the same thing i think.
No. All non-living things.

My grandmas house was a double-wide manufactured piece of crap. My current house shares that same tradition.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews