JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm pretty sure lever action rifles have no soul. Same with 1911s whose fan base are most typically Korean war veterans and retired general contractors with deep-vee shirts, gold chains and a penchant for 1984 corvettes.

Inanimate objects having a soul or not might be a more interesting discussion if we determined if humans have a soul or not first. ;) Character and personality are not the same as a soul.

All we are is dust in the wind . . .

A writer in a major firearm's publication decried that polymer framed firearms are guns without a soul. He felt. that the only firearms with a soul, are metal framed firearms that will withstand the elements of time and provide a more enjoyable shooting experience are firearms like Browning Hi-powers, 1911's, wheel guns by Colt, Smith & Ruger and other similar firearms.

I like his argument. I also prefer shooting my metal framed firearms over my polymer framed guns.

What are your feelings?
I have a very strong opinion on this.

I would suppose that a large part of the discussion here may be influenced by the how and why you have firearms.

I understand the notion that : "Guns are tools".
They are that indeed.
They were made with a purpose in mind , and with enough practice , your skill with the right firearm ( tool ) can really pay off...
Be it for casual shooting enjoyment , competition shooting , hunting , self defense , etc....
Like any tool , its helpful to have the right tool for the job.

With that said....My 1962 Wingmaster that my grandfather gave me is more than a tool used for a task , in my mind.
I have many memories associated with this shotgun...Matches won , game taken...the folks who have hunted with me , places that have been hunted in , all come back to me when I shoot or take of care this gun.

My Hawken Rifle also holds many memories for me.
Memories of friends no longer with me...places we have been , rendezvous gone to ...
All in addition to the shots made ( both good and bad ) , the looks and comments I get on it....

Both of the above are more than tools , for me....
Without them I would still have those memories , but with them I feel a stronger connection to certain things.
Notice the "for me"....not you , not anyone else.

As I said in the beginning here...
Whether or not guns have a "soul" may come from just the how and why you are into guns.
I never really gave much thought to some aspects of firearms when first introduced to them.
I was taught firearm safety , firearm care , and practiced shooting skills.
Firearms were more of a "fun" thing , something to be respected for sure , but still fun.

I was also taught that firearm ownership is more than a Right , its a responsibility.
As in its my responsibility to use my firearm safely.
Also I was taught that firearm ownership is the mark of a free man.

Someone who grew differently or has different life experiences , may view firearms differently.
Which is fine...
All I ask is :
That one uses their firearm safely and proficiently.
As well as not making my firearm choices* , for me.
*As in what I can own , or how I am to own it , or even just how I am to use and enjoy my firearms....
Andy

Last Edited:
I kind of agree.

I have swapped all of my P320 grips to Icarus Precision aluminum grips.

I sold all of my glocks, however, I still have my Zev Oz9 elite, which I really enjoy shooting, the 1911 grip angle sure helps.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top