JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't know where this idea came from, but I always picture a gun safe in the master bedroom or the master bedroom closet.

Master bedroom/closet - easy and convenient to load unload your daily carry. Potential problems getting the safe upstairs.

Garage - Easiest to transfer from safe to car. Least secure? Moisture problems?

Living room - Good lookin' safe can be nice, but not typically "normal" living room furnature. Inconvenient for preping for daily carry.

Where do you keep your safe and why?

Thanks all!

I've pondered this question. It depends on how your house is laid out. I have a detached garage, so that won't work. The office, basement, or master closet would be my recommendations. Even better would be a closet wall that opens into a secret room for my guns...

A certain member of my family keeps their safe in the basement behind a locked door. The master bedroom is on the top level and at the opposite side of the house. The running joke is that if someone tries to break into the house that he'll have enough time to run down the hallway...past the front door, down the stairs, into the locked room with the safe...into the safe...to ward off the intruders.

Put it where it is least likely to be seen by anyone visiting your home.
And put it in front of a monitored alarm system.
For moisture concerns use corrosionX and zero worries.

I had mine in the garage for a long time, came to the realization that the gas meter was on the opposite side of the wall ..DOH... Later moved into the den where it now sites with a small tv on the top. Never had a problem with moisture in either place but my garage walls are insulated and sheet rocked. I was going to have in the bedroom and did for a short time, not enough room in there so into the den it went. I do have a small handgun safe in the bedroom under the bed and some firearms secured in different places of the house "just in case". How one stores a firearm is very dependent on the ages in the household and maturity levels. Grew up with my dad keeping all his guns and ammo in his closet, there were 6 kids in the house and we all knew and obeyed the rule not to touch. But the guns weren't mysteries to us either, we had plenty of chances to shoot them when we wanted. A safe in a closet is about the securest place, makes it harder to "crack". just make sure that where ever you have the safe that it is bolted to the floor and perhaps to the wall too, anything that slows down the trolls is good.

Living in a small house with very small rooms I have little choice in the matter. It's in an interior corner of the living room, bolted to the floor. To us, it's part of the decor, just like the mounted antlers and elk heads.

I have the big one in the family room which used to be a 2 car garage (cement floor). I would first look at the EMPTY weight of the safe, mine is 700lbs so a firm foundation is key. You don't want to overload the floor joasts especially if you have another few hundred lbs in firearms. I would also consider mounting points and ease of prying it from them if it is a small one. I placed my big one on an outside wall also so that in the event of a fire it would not stay at the higher temps leading to failure. I have several other safes around the house, for CCW I have a small one in the bed room, for documents and other hand guns there is one in another bedroom, another in the spare room just because, and another in the shop hidden from sight but easily accesable. In the long run you will most likely end up with multiple safes and locations depending on your firearm addiction. Just remember to buy bigger than you need because in the long run you'll need it. By the way I just added another 14 gun size for ammo and should have went bigger it's full already....LOL. Just remember to keep the previous when upgrading you will eventually need it too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top