JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Do they need to be in 1, or both if they are being stored in a gun safe? I have a cheap stack on gun safe and there are a few holes pre made on the sides so I don't even know if it's useful, though I have guns in gun socks and lots of the packets that kill air inside the safe. Do I need just a dehumidifier and if so what kind is recommended, a better gun safe, both, or neither if the guns are in gun socks in the safe or out? Thanks I'm asking as a friend has kept his guns in their garage and it has been fine for decades. Mine is stored in a house with AC. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

A Golden Rod dehumidifier rod in the bottom rear of my 800 lb. safe has kept things in there dry for close to twenty years.

Buy locally if you can, FFL holders are about to get a beatdown if current legislation is not defeated. They need the revenue.

A Golden Rod dehumidifier rod in the bottom rear of my 800 lb. safe has kept things in there dry for close to twenty years.

Buy locally if you can, FFL holders are about to get a beatdown if current legislation is not defeated. They need the revenue.
I'll call a few places and ask if they got them in stock. I am broke after buying a pre ban rifle so next check dehumidifier, fal mags, and ammo can lol

I have a friend that claims gun socks can hold moisture and cause corrosion. I have no personal experience, just reporting what I was told.
'
I would think that a sleeve covering the buttstock, but not the metal, would accomplish the protection of the most likely areas of contact.

I have a friend that claims gun socks can hold moisture and cause corrosion. I have no personal experience, just reporting what I was told.
'
I would think that a sleeve covering the buttstock, but not the metal, would accomplish the protection of the most likely areas of contact.
I guess if you live in an area with extreme humidity and/or don't run any kind of humidity control in your safe. I would kinda bet though that his were maybe heavy untreated socks(?) Lightweight silicone treated do very well to not only protect against safe rash and accident dings during transport, but also dust and prohibits rust. They are great for long term storage.

I've used the light silicone treated socks for.... decades.... without any problem and never noticed them to retain any moisture.

I use gun socks mainly for protection, and without regret. But also I keep my area warm, dry and power vented on a timer six hours a day. (which at the same times draws in warm air from our home)
Also, a very expensive (for me) Benelli shotgun my wife bought me came with a silicone treated sock, seems doubtful such a provision would come unvetted by Benelli for their product.
Early in married life I had more problems as our old leaky farm house was wood heated so the bone dry air was a issue for wood stocks, then the heated house when stove was damped down to sleep would draw in outside moist air over night. So I kept things in a center of the house three or four foot square closet with a sixty watt bulb burning 24/7, which solved my problem.
I copied the idea from my bachelor days finding the closet and bulb scenario would keep the same temperature year around and perfect condition for working off my home brew and enhancing batch to batch consistency.

I've got several large desiccant packs that change color with moisture, a golden rod AND socks on the WW2 guns. Just go all in, the extra protection is way, WAY under the cost of just one firearm.

I have a cheaper sports afield. I put some insulation board on the bottom where there are holes, and the safe sits on plastic also. I have 2 rechargeable dehumidifiers (by plugging into an outlet) that I leave in as well. I have run into no issues in the last year and it lives on my garage that has flooded (but didn't reach the safe). The dehumidifiers last roughly 60 days between charges. I use the Eva dry ones

There is no such thing as too much rust prevention. A golden rod, a big can of desiccant that turns color when it needs to be refreshed, and a hygrometer (humidity meter). All can be had off amazon for $60 give or take. Quality silicone treated bore stores can't hurt. Neither can a good coat of Renaissance Wax before the guns go in the safe. I'd probably plug the holes too to help keep the internal environment more secure. But much depends on where you live as to whether the holes are problematic or not.

One more time - heat alone does not dehumidify. Goldenrods only provide heat, which does allow for more humidity (relative) before damaging metal. It is like the east coat in the spring, 90 degrees F and 90% humidity. Plenty of heat but way too much humidity.

Eva-Dry or color changing desiccant helps keep moisture out of the safe.

I have a Goldenrod, Eva-Dry and homemade Desiccant containers. I monitor it with a humidistat and temperature sensors that can be read from the outside of the safe. I bought 2 gallons (15 lbs) of desiccant from Amazon and use a few small containers spread around the safe.

I am very careful about keeping my guns rust free. Don't forget to oil metal surfaces periodically.

I have a cheap stack on gun safe and there are a few holes pre made on the sides
I wouldnt guess any efforts to control rust wouldnt be any different than outside a Stack On cabinet since Stack Ons are not sealed units?

Last Edited:
Most gun safes are not safes at all. They a security storage units, or something like that. They are not air/moisture tight. The very expensive ones are real safes and probably more air tight.

I have an older Liberty safe that closes pretty tightly, but I wouldn't want to keep it in a damp garage or shop unprotected. I need a new safe since mine is over full. Went to Bulldog and found a nice real safe for just under $4,000.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top