JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One November morning in '77, the sweet spot for my brother's 7mm was right down of the gullet of this record buck.... Me-Deer-1977_small.jpg

Last Edited:
I pulled the trigger on a Bergara B14 hunter series 270win 24' barrel. I was thinking the 2 gun thing is what will happen eventually. My big(ish) one will be a 270win and my next one will be a smaller caliber Savage model. I wanted a 26' barrel but settled on 24 since that's all I could find, which limited me to a Winchester XPR, Sako, Remington 700, and a Bergara b14. Because I was told that the Bergara was basically a M700 with a better barrel, that's what I went with for about 750 give or take. I got Sierra MatchKing 135 HPBT, Hornady 130 SST, and Berger VLD 140 along with various primers, Hornady cases, and 4831 and 4350 powders. I suspect next week I'll begin my reloading journey. I'm a bit confused as to starting out but from what I've heard a bullet/powder is accurate or not in a gun and seating depth is fine tuning. Therefore, I am thinking I'll do 4-10 loads with each bullet using my 2 powders at maybe a tad above the starting load recommendations. I worry that I need probably 10 of each combination at least to get an accurate representation. I was looking at the Bergara's action and to me it doesn't look like the Remington 700s I picked up but I guess it's basically a clone? Now I don't think I'll be so desperate for a 1:7 or 1:8 twist 22-250, I can chill out and get something decent to shoot 50-60ish grain bullets. I want to develop an accurate 130-140 grain load for my 270 then I'll try 95-110gr loads and the big ole 150+ loads, all with the same barrel :)

I pulled the trigger on a Bergara B14 hunter series 270win 24' barrel. I was thinking the 2 gun thing is what will happen eventually. My big(ish) one will be a 270win and my next one will be a smaller caliber Savage model. I wanted a 26' barrel but settled on 24 since that's all I could find, which limited me to a Winchester XPR, Sako, Remington 700, and a Bergara b14. Because I was told that the Bergara was basically a M700 with a better barrel, that's what I went with for about 750 give or take. I got Sierra MatchKing 135 HPBT, Hornady 130 SST, and Berger VLD 140 along with various primers, Hornady cases, and 4831 and 4350 powders. I suspect next week I'll begin my reloading journey. I'm a bit confused as to starting out but from what I've heard a bullet/powder is accurate or not in a gun and seating depth is fine tuning. Therefore, I am thinking I'll do 4-10 loads with each bullet using my 2 powders at maybe a tad above the starting load recommendations. I worry that I need probably 10 of each combination at least to get an accurate representation. I was looking at the Bergara's action and to me it doesn't look like the Remington 700s I picked up but I guess it's basically a clone? Now I don't think I'll be so desperate for a 1:7 or 1:8 twist 22-250, I can chill out and get something decent to shoot 50-60ish grain bullets. I want to develop an accurate 130-140 grain load for my 270 then I'll try 95-110gr loads and the big ole 150+ loads, all with the same barrel :)
My best buddy bought a Bergera several months ago and was really pleased with it (6.5 Credmore) but it was a bit on the heavy side, shot very well......then 2 weeks ago he bought an inexpensive Tika stainless plastic lightweight gun. It out shoot's the Bergera so badly (3/4" to 1/4" groups) , he is selling the Bergera.

My best buddy bought a Bergera several months ago and was really pleased with it (6.5 Credmore) but it was a bit on the heavy side, shot very well......then 2 weeks ago he bought an inexpensive Tika stainless plastic lightweight gun. It out shoot's the Bergera so badly (3/4" to 1/4" groups) , he is selling the Bergera.

This happens all the time.

P

Ive always wondered if the .270 would become obsolete not because it doesn't do well its not
the caliber people think of unless they look closely. When it comes to a 30.06 everyone even non-hunters know what a 30.06 does and is. The .270 people go what dat ? I think the .270 to a rifle is a 40SW to pistol. They work real well for what they are intended for, but not the go to for many people. Its like my truck it has a 352 in it and people always think I mean 351 or 350, umm no ... lol

Ive always wondered if the .270 would become obsolete not because it doesn't do well its not
the caliber people think of unless they look closely. When it comes to a 30.06 everyone even non-hunters know what a 30.06 does and is. The .270 people go what dat ? I think the .270 to a rifle is a 40SW to pistol. They work real well for what they are intended for, but not the go to for many people. Its like my truck it has a 352 in it and people always think I mean 351 or 350, umm no ... lol
I wondered that myself. I've asked several gun sellers and industry people though. Turns out a lot of 270's are selling but as hunting guns. At Cabela's yesterday I saw quite a few guns in 270. I have been asking a lot of people because I'm wondering about the future of bullet selection. It's great now though, basically same choices as anything else you could want. Everyone assures me that it's truckin' along and might even pick up. I like the 270win for personal reasons but also practical. I will post updates on how well I can shoot my handloads as time goes on. I'm hoping for a nice target shooter at any range and something that I can load varmint rounds with 90-115gr and longer distance with 150ish grain bullets, all with the same barrel and twist rate.

Last Edited:

That's pretty much me; .270 for hunting and .40 carry pistol......

To be honest, I use the .270 for hunting because that is what I was taught to use (.257 Roberts for deer and .270 for elk) and it's always worked well for me, so I see no reason to change.

The reason my carry pistol today is a 40SW, is because during the hoarding of 2013-2016, 40SW was consistently on the shelves (Come to think about it, .270 was also) and everything else was sold out.

On a side note, I used to have a old Galaxy with a 352 in it. Wish I still had that car.

Ray

That's pretty much me; .270 for hunting and .40 carry pistol......

To be honest, I use the .270 for hunting because that is what I was taught to use (.257 Roberts for deer and .270 for elk) and it's always worked well for me, so I see no reason to change.

The reason my carry pistol today is a 40SW, is because during the hoarding of 2013-2016, 40SW was consistently on the shelves (Come to think about it, .270 was also) and everything else was sold out.

On a side note, I used to have a old Galaxy with a 352 in it. Wish I still had that car.
Ray
Ive had my 67 ford truck I think since 94 or 95 its a good engine tough as nails which reminds me I need to take her out she is in covered storage for winter guess near time to take the old girl out.
The 40sw was not on purpose but was a trade I couldnt pass up. After that I was a fan why there are other rounds used thats my go to and fav. I have always been a fan of the 7.62x39 as well and why I get its not a great long range hunting round it can be found anywhere. In a SKS its a good hunting round, in a CZ527 it actually takes that round to a whole other level, I found something I was not aware of until used the 7.62x39 in a bolt action. For smaller game like deer and wild hogs seems like a decent round I think anything much bigger and you'll be hiking to finish the job. Id think I need to maybe take a good look at the .270 though.

Ive had my 67 ford truck I think since 94 or 95 its a good engine tough as nails which reminds me I need to take her out she is in covered storage for winter guess near time to take the old girl out.
The 40sw was not on purpose but was a trade I couldnt pass up. After that I was a fan why there are other rounds used thats my go to and fav. I have always been a fan of the 7.62x39 as well and why I get its not a great long range hunting round it can be found anywhere. In a SKS its a good hunting round, in a CZ527 it actually takes that round to a whole other level, I found something I was not aware of until used the 7.62x39 in a bolt action. For smaller game like deer and wild hogs seems like a decent round I think anything much bigger and you'll be hiking to finish the job. Id think I need to maybe take a good look at the .270 though.
The 270 is fine but even it's Chief proponent (Jack O'Connor) said if the 280 (7mm) had been around, he would have preferred that. The 7mm 08 is an equally great (short) caliber. I shoot a lot with my Steyr 6.5X55 (mine is an ultra rare left handed rifle so couldn't choose the caliber) but would prefer a 280 or 7X57. I like the selection of 7mm bullets better than the 270 and don't see a lot of advantage of the 270 over even the 06 and prefer being able to load the heavier bullets particularly for Elk, Bear and Moose.

Last Edited:
The 270 is fine but even it's Chief proponent (Jack O'Connor) said if the 280 (7mm) had been around, he would have preferred that. The 7mm 08 is an equally great (short) caliber. I shoot a lot with my Steyr 6.5X55 but would prefer a 280 or 7X57. I like the selection of 7mm bullets better than the 270 and don't see a lot of advantage of the 270 over even the 06 and prefer being able to load the heavier bullets particularly for Elk, Bear and Moose.

My son has a 7mm Mag I have shot it love that round never hunted with it, but it really reaches out and touches LOL

My son has a 7mm Mag I have shot it love that round never hunted with it, but it really reaches out and touches LOL
I have the 7mm mag that I bought in 1976....l have hunted 3 continents with it. It is an incredible long range deer rifle but I prefer at least a 30 cal bullet for larger game. So, I use a 308 or usually my 378 Weatherby Magnum for elk and moose. It shoots 270 grains as fast as the 7mm mag shoots 140. The recoil is brutal (over 6000 ft lbs of energy) but has never bothered me in a hunting rifle. I have never shot anything with it that took a step or required a follow up shot. I shot a large black bear with it in about 1982, she rolled over with her feet in the air from 250 yards.

The 7mm Rem Mag is marginal at best for big bulls.

IMG_2096.JPG

This one took a single 162 grain bullet and went twenty whole feet before going hooves up. Totally unacceptable.

If I had had a big .308 caliber he only would have gone five feet.

P

4831 and 4350 ..... am thinking I'll do 4-10 loads with each bullet using my 2 powders at maybe a tad above the starting load recommendations. I worry that I need probably 10 of each combination at least to get an accurate representation

Please look up audette ladders.

Creighton Audette's Ladder Test

You'll save a lot of time and get the right results.

Hodgdon or IMR powder. Remember they're different when you look up loads. Try Hodgdon 4895. It tends to be pretty good

The 7mm Rem Mag is marginal at best for big bulls.

View attachment 452040

This one took a single 162 grain bullet and went twenty whole feet before going hooves up. Totally unacceptable.

If I had had a big .308 caliber he only would have gone five feet.

P
I don't know if you are being sarcastic (very nice bull) but the 7mm mag does tend to over penetrate. I had severe problems with bullet fragmentation particularly when game is shot close, so started loading Nosler partitions (long before they were available in a factory loading) and solved the problem. I still use them to great effect.

Last Edited:
I have the 7mm mag that I bought in 1976....l have hunted 3 continents with it. It is an incredible long range deer rifle but I prefer at least a 30 cal bullet for larger game. So, I use a 308 or usually my 378 Weatherby Magnum for elk and moose. It shoots 270 grains as fast as the 7mm mag shoots 140. The recoil is brutal (over 6000 ft lbs of energy) but has never bothered me in a hunting rifle. I have never shot anything with it that took a step or required a follow up shot. I shot a large black bear with it in about 1982, she rolled over with her feet in the air from 250 yards.
For those who caught that, don't have a coronary.
I think Argo was simply stating that its a super powerful round, but to be sure, in a 10 1/4 lb. rifle, a .378 WM only makes 71.1 ft,/lbs. of recoil.....much easier to manage than 6000 lbs. ;):D

Dean

For those who caught that, don't have a coronary.
I think Argo was simply stating that its a super powerful round, but to be sure, in a 10 1/4 lb. rifle, a .378 WM only makes 71.1 ft,/lbs. of recoil.....much easier to manage than 6000 lbs. ;):D

Dean
Over 6000 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top