JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm more worried about what might happen in Oregon then anything at the Federal level.
Just hoping that all those restrictive gun laws in California don't show up here soon.
I've got that in the front of my mind too. Bloomberg has already visited us, deposited loot into Prozanski's piggy bank, and moved on... for now. We were too weak to stop him last time, and he'll be back. Magazine capacity limits? AWB? Once he's exhausted his reach with universal bgc laws he'll be back to take another bite... easy states first. For youz playing along, OR and WA are easy states.

I average one day off per week, but if I find a midterm candidate who will pledge to fight the Bloomberg shills at every turn, I will volunteer time to work on his/her campaign.

I think the days of the cheap AK are pretty much over. With the importation ban the fact you now have to use and American made barrel to meet 922R it's hard to make them as cheap as imports.

Then to get a really good old school one you can dang near buy two ARs for the same money, man how times have changed.

I don't understand though why we cant make them here in the USA for as cheap? The whole point behind the AKs design and success is that they are made as cheap as possible.

I don't understand though why we cant make them here in the USA for as cheap? The whole point behind the AKs design and success is that they are made as cheap as possible.

Labor costs overseas are much less.

In the USA, taking a forging (or a casting) and throwing it into a CNC machine is less expensive than cutting sheet metal and then bending it and then attaching the rails, unless you are willing to spend a lot of capital investing in machines specifically meant to do that. Automation and volume makes ARs less expensive to manufacture here than AKs.

Someone like Ruger could probably do it and undercut everybody else, if they wanted to invest in the machinery to do it. I don't see Ruger doing that though. I was surprised when they started making ARs (and now they are selling lowers).

Labor costs overseas are much less.

In the USA, taking a forging (or a casting) and throwing it into a CNC machine is less expensive than cutting sheet metal and then bending it and then attaching the rails, unless you are willing to spend a lot of capital investing in machines specifically meant to do that. Automation and volume makes ARs less expensive to manufacture here than AKs.

those are true, good points.

although I might argue that some basic tooling wouldn't be that much to invest in but yeah the labor prices cant match overseas labor rates. All a shop would need is a pressbrake (or hardstamp), spotwelder and arbor press to rivet with.

it seems like it could be done for at least much cheaper than current offerings.

Forging can be farmed out.

Every machine shop now has a CNC machine.

So not a huge capital investment.

Yes, press brakes - most shops have them, but most require an operator. Then there is the welding and assembly. My understanding is that the AK requires more labor than the AR because a lot of the AR parts manufacture can be automated. Then the actual assembly is easier and faster.

Things have changed since 1947 when AKs were assembled by peasants in factories. Now automation is the ticket when the scale is sufficient. If a large enough manufacturer was to get into the game, then they could bring the price down by investing in automation. Given the current market, I think most would be reluctant to make that investment, especially given that in a year or two it could be much more politically incorrect to be manufacturing AKs.

Speaking of cheap ARs.. I was in my local yesterday and they had an AR someone built, and traded in with at probably $1400 in parts(if I remember right Troy alfa rail, Guiesley Trigger, UBR stock, Aero SS barrel, NiB bcg, and Aero up/low, Moe buis, and then some) $650! The upper alone had way more than that into it! Flooded market... Wish I had the $ to buy it for the parts. Its kinda an ugly frankenbuild, but one of those things where the parts are worth more than the whole.

Speaking of cheap ARs.. I was in my local yesterday and they had an AR someone built, and traded in with at probably $1400 in parts(if I remember right Troy alfa rail, Guiesley Trigger, UBR stock, Aero SS barrel, NiB bcg, and Aero up/low, Moe buis, and then some) $650! The upper alone had way more than that into it! Flooded market... Wish I had the $ to buy it for the parts. Its kinda an ugly frankenbuild, but one of those things where the parts are worth more than the whole.

This is the thing with personal builds - people put a lot of money into them, maybe good parts, maybe not, maybe assembled correctly, maybe not, definitely used. I would much rather buy the base rifle myself and do that work myself knowing I probably did it right than not knowing who did what and did they do it right? A really nice aftermarket part can be ruined by someone who doesn't know what they are doing or who doesn't take the time and effort to learn how to do it right.

Same goes for "custom" cars and trucks.

If it was built by a custom shop with a reputation and a warranty/etc., then the value goes up. But it is still used.

This is the thing with personal builds - people put a lot of money into them, maybe good parts, maybe not, maybe assembled correctly, maybe not, definitely used. I would much rather buy the base rifle myself and do that work myself knowing I probably did it right than not knowing who did what and did they do it right? A really nice aftermarket part can be ruined by someone who doesn't know what they are doing or who doesn't take the time and effort to learn how to do it right.

Same goes for "custom" cars and trucks.

If it was built by a custom shop with a reputation and a warranty/etc., then the value goes up. But it is still used.
That's why I would buy it for the parts...With an AR I can see the gun not working if assembled improperly, but aside from putting the trigger springs on wrong, or improperly torquing the barrel, not checking headspace and over stressing the bolt lugs, there isn't many parts they can damage beyond aesthetics. the rest of the expensive stuff is all in drop in upgrades designed for easy install. But still people find a way to eff stuff up. We would know what to look for when inspecting the rifle though. So does the shop selling this rifle, so while buyer beware... it's definitely a buyers market right now. But like you mentioned with cars, you want to have a good mechanic(in this case Smitty) look at it first, if you don't know what to look for.

I'm sure a lot of it is people jumping on the deals. The slump is more of a glut. Most expected the gun grabber to win. Obama had done a great job of creating a panic shortage. Manufacturers went on full tilt 24/7 trying to make the stuff people wanted. Election came and went, all of a sudden things changed. A LOT of places and people had laid in a good supply of stuff thinking price would rise. They started dumping stuff in the market. Price dropped like a rock. No doubt many are now buying at these prices. I don't need anything right now and I am having a hell of a time not running out and buying a couple new things at these prices.
You're telling me... the only thing stopping me is that I'm broke. THE PAIN

I'm more worried about what might happen in Oregon then anything at the Federal level.
Just hoping that all those restrictive gun laws in California don't show up here soon.

Both OR & WA are in a race with CA for the bottom. The gun owners in these states will make or break this. If we as gun owners continue with the not voting for whatever reason our rights are gone. That simple. Most of those who allow this to happen can angrily tell you a whole list of reasons why they are better than you who vote for the best candidate there is. What they don't want to admit is they then elected the winner. I VERY much hope more of us will wake up before it's too late.

You're telling me... the only thing stopping me is that I'm broke. THE PAIN
Get your self a envelope they cost about 2 cents put it in your gun safe and every time you open your safe put $20 in it lol it's like charging your self to see what's in your safe and after a month or 2 months you have a envelope full of 20 dollar bills OH WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top