JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Guys,

I need some opinions. One of my most prized possessions, a 104 year old Winchester Model 12, 16 ga. shotgun has apparently been lost or sold by a local FFL dealer. The gun was a present from my Grandmother to my Grandfather on the day my father was born in 1911, he gave it to me when I was 12. It was my first gun. I gave it to the FFL dealer to have his gunsmith re-blue it and I was going to present it to my son on his next birthday. The dealer is no longer in business but accessible. I was told it came back to him from the gunsmith, blued, but with no name tag on it so the dealer assumed it was his!! I know he sold most or all of his guns to brokers or other dealers when he closed. If I cannot retrieve it what is my recourse. I'm not quite sure what the value is but it was never to be sold. It was just a field grade gun but the sentimental value is immense.
Thanks for listening.

Report it stolen and give the police and ATFE his info and a copy of the police report. Hopefully that will jog his memory. Then, small claims court.

Do you have any kind of receipt from the FFL dealer, showing the make/model and serial number of the gun? If not, even reporting it stolen may be difficult to prove it was yours in the first place. If you had some kind of receipt, that gives you at least something to work with. Without something on paper, I suspect it will come down to he said/he said.

Like myself I work thru a few local gunshops. They sign the gun in and then sign it out to me as I take it out for repair.

What's the dealers name? Or shop name?

Ok so the dealer has a copy of the 4473 if it was sold to a private person. If it was sold to a dealer there should still be paperwork when he signed it out of his bound book.

Like myself I work thru a few local gunshops. They sign the gun in and then sign it out to me as I take it out for repair.

Ok so the dealer has a copy of the 4473 if it was sold to a private person. If it was sold to a dealer there should still be paperwork when he signed it out of his bound book.

Yep, first time I used Velzey, I dropped my gun off at the Gun Broker in Clackamas - that was before I knew who he was. When I dropped it off, they gave me a written receipt with the name/model of the gun and the serial number.

I've seen this happen before. Sheriff comes and takes the report and says well this really wasn't a stolen gun. Just sold by mistake. So the dealer looks into the bound book.. Ok we sold it to joe smith and get the address. Or sold to this dealer.. Get the dealers info and contact the dealer, ok this dealer has sold it to this customer... Ok look up that 4473

You can get it back!

Guys,

I need some opinions. One of my most prized possessions, a 104 year old Winchester Model 12, 16 ga. shotgun has apparently been lost or sold by a local FFL dealer. The gun was a present from my Grandmother to my Grandfather on the day my father was born in 1911, he gave it to me when I was 12. It was my first gun. I gave it to the FFL dealer to have his gunsmith re-blue it and I was going to present it to my son on his next birthday. The dealer is no longer in business but accessible. I was told it came back to him from the gunsmith, blued, but with no name tag on it so the dealer assumed it was his!! I know he sold most or all of his guns to brokers or other dealers when he closed. If I cannot retrieve it what is my recourse. I'm not quite sure what the value is but it was never to be sold. It was just a field grade gun but the sentimental value is immense.
Thanks for listening.

You are the lawful owner. An illegal transfer of the shotgun was made.

The main question here is how much your local police department will do to help you. You are clearly the victim of a crime. Do not allow this to be brushed off as being a mistake or error.

Just how long ago did this happen???

This part is confusing - Why would you give it to 'the FFL dealer' to 'have his gunsmith re-blue it' - Why not just take it to a gunsmith yourself if you wanted this done?
It is somewhat delicate, The FFL owner is well known and well liked, I can't reveal his name here at this time, many people did business with him on a handshake basis. I have always had good experiences when interacting with him, When I dropped off the shotgun at his place of business he was very busy and just had me write down my name address and phone number to put with the gun.

^^i fully agree with you Lance.

local LEO in stayton/sublimity aint gonna enforce illegal transfer. neither is county sheriffs office. they will however go retrieve a stolen gun though.

just sayin. im not naming names but after talking to some officers they think 941 is complete BS.

I would have some mighty initimidating conversations with him to jog his memory. Likewise call the ATF, do the police report.
But I would be on him like white on rice until he knew it was his life mission to get my weapon back.

Either he get my gun back or he finds an amazing replacement.
Saddams golden AK
A M1 Garand that stormed Normandy
Gen Pattons Colt revolver

Something of greater value than just monetary.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top