JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I often wonder if the folks who spout such wisdom , have thought about what they are saying.

When I see a phrase or "fact" that I like , I try to think about:
What is it about that phrase or fact that is appealing to me.
What does the person gain , by me accepting or believing the phrase or fact.
What is indeed true about that phrase or fact
And maybe more importantly just what is untrue about that phrase or fact.

I'm not saying that I never have spouted off without really knowing what I'm talking about.
Often I only open my mouth to exchange my feet ...:eek::D

I'm just saying that it might be better at times to research a "fact" , before flying off into the blue embracing it.
In the case of firearm sales , it might cost you a sale or you may impart dangerous information.
Andy

Once heard a "counter expert" tell an obviously novice hunter how necessary an ankle holstered snub-nosed .357 was to have in the field as a backup
Well, when boar hunting you might want back up. But I can tell you that it won't be a snub nose, and it certainly isn't going to be on the ankle.

I often wonder if the folks who spout such wisdom , have thought about what they are saying.
There's a tendency in human nature that when handed some recognition or small measure of authority to suddenly believe in one's infallibility. I've seen it in myself as well as others.

This reminded me of something I wrote almost exactly a year ago regarding my personal defense mechanism for such circumstances: Compliment Negation Fixation. It's sort of off-topic, but also sort of on topic.

When I see a phrase or "fact" that I like , I try to think about:
What is it about that phrase or fact that is appealing to me.
What does the person gain , by me accepting or believing the phrase or fact.
What is indeed true about that phrase or fact
And maybe more importantly just what is untrue about that phrase or fact.

I'm not saying that I never have spouted off without really knowing what I'm talking about.
Often I only open my mouth to exchange my feet ...:eek::D

I'm just saying that it might be better at times to research a "fact" , before flying off into the blue embracing it.
In the case of firearm sales , it might cost you a sale or you may impart dangerous information.
Andy
I think some of them are just more comfortable talking than not talking.

Happened to me today..

Cabelas in Tualatin:
Asked old man in reloading area if they had the Lee loadmaster in 9mm.

His response: "do you have a lot of reloading experience?"

I replied that I knew my way around reloading well enough to warrant a progressive.

I wanted to say:
Ummm sir, experience is irrelevant I'm here to buy a product not ask somebody if they think I'm capable of running a progressive press.
What if he was looking for someone more experienced than himself that HE could ask a few questions of? Now we'll never know if he was looking for a friend that day.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top