JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Being a noob to the the whole firearms thing, I gotta say I don't remember any weird or bull info given to Wifey and I as we made the gun shop circuit in the PDX area. And...funny...The Gun Room was the FIRST shop we visited! They didn't offer up any info that I recall. I was looking for info on some old rifles, they didn't have any help. They did try to sell me a real beauty of a S&W revolver that was probably way over priced though. There was the pretty girl at Gun Broker that let us buy a little Keltec 9mm for Wifey's first gun though. Mistake! I remember a counter guy at Sportsman's that reminded me of Gunny Ermie though that was very helpful, and not full of it.

I remember a counter guy at Sportsman's that reminded me of Gunny Ermie though that was very helpful, and not full of it.
That's James. He's always sweet to my puppy when I come in, and gives her backup treats because he thinks she's so pretty. James is good people.

IMG_2544.JPG

When I need advice from an expert, I come here. Always good info + the added benefit of quality smart-azzery. And, if I happen to say something stupid, they're right there to correct me. In reality I rarely talk to those folks behind the counter.

The Brits didn't make a FAL. They license-built their own imperial-dimensioned version and called it the SLR.

I paid for my own from Messrs Parker-Hale, and loved it to bits.

We parted forever just two days before the tri-service rifle match at Bisley in 1987. We still came in second, behind the Gurkhas by just three points, and ahead of the other nineteen teams.

tac

"The 1911 has been around for a long time, I'm just not sure how long."

I made that one up...

...or did I?

"Bullets rise when they come out of the barrel"

I don't believe this to be an entirely inaccurate statement, from a certain point of view... If a barrel is level, of course, the bullet will only drop, due to gravity, but when target shooting for example, if you've sighted an AR to say 100 yards, then with the scope level, the barrel is aimed slightly up, so the bullet would, over that 100 yards, rise by the same amount as the height of the center of your scope over the center of your bore (~1.5 - 2 inches). Likewise, if you had another target sitting at 200 yards directly behind the 100 yard target and at the same height as the 100 yard target, the bullet would hit a couple inches high as it reached the apex of its flight, and if you had yet another target at ~300 yards at the same physical height, it would be back on target again, as it continued to fall after the apex. Those distances aren't perfectly exact, but close enough to make the point. Finaly, to drive it home a little further, it should be obvious that if you stuck a target directly in front of the barrel so the bullseye was lined up dead center on the bullseye, you'd hit the target low by the distance from center of scope to center of bore, so the general bullet path would be something like (using round numbers) 2" low at point blank, an inch low at 50 yards, on target at 100 yards, a few inches high at its apex of roughly 200 yards, then back on target at 300 yards, probably 10+ inches low at 400 yards, as gravity continues to accelerate it downward, then something like 60+ inches low at 500 yards... So given a standard target scenario on level ground, I'd have to agree that the bullet often would rise after leaving the barrel. Is that not how others understand it as well?

The person who said that has obviously not stood behind somebody like me or Andy and watched a big ol' bullet or ball come out of a muzzleloader and go arching into the target x yards away.

My 500gr .451 bullets climb up to 170-190 FEET above the LOS on their way to the 1200 yard target at Stickledown Ranges, Bisley.

On a dank day they leave an HTG con-trail from around the 500 yard point on the trajectory.

tac

"Those polymer magazines will melt in solvents, but the polymer AR mags won't."
"The PSL was never designed with a bayonet lug."
"No one ever used a bayonet on the Mosin Nagant."

LGS expert:
" Black powder and round ball are not effective killers on big game."
Me ( not an expert , but I know a bit ) :
"Would you kindly explain that to Daniel Boone , David Crockett , Jim Bridger and Kit Carson."
Andy
Wait, you mean to tell me humans never hunted big game until smokeless powder was invented? Guess they never killed buffalo at all before. :rolleyes:

It is not just gun counter guys. I was looking for a torque wrench the other day and was in my local Napa store. The one they had that covered the need I had was in inch/lbs but went high enough to torque a called out fastener spec in ft./lbs. The clerk helping me looked at me funny and insisted I needed to order the proper ft/lb torque wrench. I told him there were 12 in/lbs in a ft/lb and by the math the one in my hand was fine. He protested and said it wasn't that simple and it wouldn't work. To which I laughed and told him to ring me up. I am a natural born skeptic and I am sure it causes me to come off as a donkey sometimes, but it has served me well. There is no end to erroneous information spewed forth daily by people I encounter so it helps to have a calibrated bs meter.

Last Edited:
So given a standard target scenario on level ground, I'd have to agree that the bullet often would rise after leaving the barrel. Is that not how others understand it as well?

"Rise relative to what?" is the question. Relative to the level ground, yes a bullet from a normally sighted rifle will rise. Relative to the line of the bore it will always fall.

The Brits didn't make a FAL. They license-built their own imperial-dimensioned version and called it the SLR.

tac

Thank you. I was aware of that truth although I knew it as the L1A1. "British FAL" was part 2 of that persons entertaining, but wrong, statement. The entire conversation was a dead end.

E

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads