JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Unfortunately, a real bad example of using cover was one of the DART officers in Dallas a few years ago. He held tight behind a concrete pillar(if I remember right). The trained shooter backed up and pied around it and shot him.

For some reason a lot of training have people hugging the barricade. Loss of mobility and field of view. each incident decides the positioning.

Unfortunately, a real bad example of using cover was one of the DART officers in Dallas a few years ago. He held tight behind a concrete pillar(if I remember right). The trained shooter backed up and pied around it and shot him.

During IDPA matches, I, and many others, have this tendency to hug cover. It's hard to train out.

IDPA forces you to. If you actually pied a corner in many IDPa stages, you get dinged points.

Hmmmm, the way our group sets up stages there is always lots of room to move back or out. But when I shot IPSC/USPSA it wasn't even a thought... bad habits.

The horizontal positioning of barricades does have a tendency for new shooters to break 180, but that's easier to fix than hugging cover. Even the people that have been shooting for a long time revert to doing it. I think one of the big problems is having shooters run up to a barricade, which usually puts them right there against it, then they don't move outward before pieing the corner.

Last Edited:
Hmmmm, the way our group sets up stages there is always lots of room to move back or out. But when I shot IPSC/USPSA it was never a concern... bad habits.

The horizontal positioning of barricades does have a tendency for new shooters to break 180, but that's easier to fix than hugging cover. Even the people that have been shooting for a long time revert to doing it. I think one of the big problems is having shooters run up to a barricade, which usually puts them right there against it, then they don't move outward before pieing the corner.

Its a game/sport. It has value, but like you said, you can get some bad habits.

I remember a CJTC instructor saying 'When you come on a scene and you find a pile of brass, you usually find a dead officer next to the pile. When you come on a scene and you find a trail of brass, you find an officer explaining why he did what he had to do.'

That vid is a perfect example of the importance of knowing your backstop and surroundings....
There was a person walking by on the opposite side of the street and an on coming car that made a hasty retreat....

Agree with others above about great job of getting behind the vehicle for cover.

Also he was a ways back from car not hugging against it. This is important especially as the perp could have put rounds off the hood. If u are hugging the car in that area between front fender and driver window (like u see in the movies) those off-the-hood shots are much more likely to end up being head shots to you!

It's understandable how the cop shot his own window and that's pretty much meaningless given the circumstances imo.

Mine, nor any in the entire county where I worked or the three PDs anything ballistic anywhere in them. I certainly do not know where you are getting your 'most' from.

I just found an article to back up what I have seen. Maybe using the word "most" wasn't correct. But the newer cruisers come from the factory, or in chevy's case contracted out, with ballistic panels in the doors. I saw it a lot where I grew up so I made the assumption that the police vehicles up here would also have the paneling

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top