JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My father-in-law is really into gold mining. Has been for about 15 years. He says that word in the gold world is that the .gov is intentionally lowering it so that you and I will sell it and they can gain control of it. Makes sense to me. If it stays this low, once the ranch sells, we will invest some of the money into metals. Some of those metals will be yellow and white, some will be black, blue and copper and lead.

I agree it is being manipulated by who I do not know, gooberment, banksters?? All the same to me anymore.

I have asked several people I know who live in different area's of the country and in different professions and they all agree, nothing makes sense not the stock market, commodities, precious metals, etc. The all said the same thing that it is like someone behind the scenes in manipulating it all.

Gold and silver prices are manipulated. There is no shortage of either just too many people buying it. Though having gold and silver bought at the bottom of the market , just like a house bought at the bottom of the market is a good thing to have. Buying at the top of the market proves there are fools born every day. I have had people tell me that the stock market will never go down!

My belief is the most valuable specific PMs are quality 22lr 500 rd boxes at .05 (if/when), and if you have the room to store it. Super flexible even post SHTF, you can trade them right down to just one tiny individual 22lr.

Since it takes about 700x more physical room to store 22lr over coins, silver/gold has its place as an alternative.

Gold, silver or paper money only has value because we believe they do. Having gold won't do any good for me if the guy with (food, ammo, water, animals, whatever) won't trade for it, same with paper money or silver. In a true SHTF situation, I won't trade for gold, silver or paper. I'll be wanting to trade for what I need, not some mythic value in something I can't use.

Gold, silver or paper money only has value because we believe they do. Having gold won't do any good for me if the guy with (food, ammo, water, animals, whatever) won't trade for it, same with paper money or silver. In a true SHTF situation, I won't trade for gold, silver or paper. I'll be wanting to trade for what I need, not some mythic value in something I can't use.

I wrestled with this issue myself before finally deciding that PM are worth having.
In the end the reason is simple. They have been valued by people of numerous civilizations for thousands of years . An old gold coin from 1900 or 1800 is still worth something. Paper money from that time period is worth nothing - unless it has collector value.

The world had had some really dark periods during its recorded history. I challenge you to name one period in time when gold was worthless.

What you consider true SHTF is still not going to be even remotely as bad as everyday life of an average peasant 1000 years ago.

I agree it is being manipulated by who I do not know, gooberment, banksters?? All the same to me anymore.

I have asked several people I know who live in different area's of the country and in different professions and they all agree, nothing makes sense not the stock market, commodities, precious metals, etc. The all said the same thing that it is like someone behind the scenes in manipulating it all.

None of the markets (commodities, stock market, etc.) make any sense due to the fact that the Feral Reserve is injecting around $80 Billion per month in to the American economy. That much cash injection will do crazy things to an economy as evidenced by the the current price of gold (currently over $1200/troy oz), the DJIA over 15K, unemployment at a (take your pick of whichever one you believe) reported 7.6% (U3) or 14.5% (U6) or 23% (from shadowstats.com using the pre 1994 method of including "long-term discouraged workers"), and inflation at a laughingly reported 1.4% (it's easy to make inflation be whatever you want when you value things that make inflation go down higher than things that make inflation go up and remove food and fuel which are the most volatile components).

Nothing makes sense because everything is being manipulated from interest rates to reported economic statistics and this causes things like the stock market to not react the way we think they should. The best thing you can do is be as ready as you can be for whatever is coming our way.

A colleague was talking about silver, so when I had a chance I got him alone and asked him about his sources. He said he knew of some legitimate sources to get silver from, not the scam stuff, he has been dealing with the same people for 30 yrs. So I asked him to get a feel for what they had and what price, I have read on here and other places there is a glutten in the market of excess silver at the retail level. If this is true or if silver drops a few more dollars to around 16.00 I will buy as an investment.

Depending on what the future holds it could be an alternative currency or a way to make money on the precious metals roller coaster.

I agree nothing makes in the market, except the fact that it is being manipulated and that people are doing are being manipulated by so called experts who getting them to move money and buy and sell stuff, so that they can make money on their commission and their own investments. The trading people have their own portfolio and are advising people to invest in way s that their own portfolio is benefiting.

knuckle Head, there is not a glut of silver in the market. I only see shortages.
All you have to do is go to the web sites that sell silver and see how much of their silver bars, rounds and coins are out of stock.
They are just catching up as a couple of weeks ago there were massive shortages.

Those who watch and follow PMs know that they are being manipulated using the futures market. I don't mind the lower prices. It allows me to buy more at a discount.

Why not invest in copper pennies in a shtf they would carry at least their current value. Money worthless your pennies still have value as a usefull material. Heck even now they are worth more then a penny.
A little silver is useful since you can use for both medical use and water purification. This makes silver usefull in both short and long term disasters

The world had had some really dark periods during its recorded history. I challenge you to name one period in time when gold was worthless.

What you consider true SHTF is still not going to be even remotely as bad as everyday life of an average peasant 1000 years ago.

Remember that one episode of the Twilight Zone, I think it was called the "rip van winkle caper" where a bunch of criminals after stealing an armored truck full of gold, went to sleep for 100 years, only to awake and have to travel long distances on foot, at one point the older guy was trading bars of gold for sips of water. I would imagine there are not a lot of gold buyers on sinking ships either.

Gold has value, but only in the right setting. Once you take it out of that setting it can not only be valueless, but can actually be a huge liability.

Ever seen the movie "the gods must be crazy", it's about a coke bottle that falls on a group of bantu tribesmen somewhere in BFE africa. There's a great point in the movie where the narrator says "Suddenly this thing that no one knew existed previously is now the most indispensable thing they've ever had".

I have a few gold coins, mostly as a novelty, I bought them years ago when gold was under $200/oz. I've never done anything with them, one sits on my desk, and the others sit in my safe. They do nothing.

The silver shot I buy, I use it for all kinds of stuff, I use it as a solder, I use it as a precursor chemical, I apply it to glass work to make them one-way.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top