JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
bbbass,
In addition, refugees heading here as a bug out location option is laughable, as the folks here are very hospitable, but if the refugees think this area is something they can command, look out...really, really look out...carpetbagger facsimiles will be shot like looters...

You already got yer share of refugees anyway, right? We betta not get started jawing bout that!!!

I am not bugging out anywhere. My new place in Central Oregon is somewhat isolated from urban areas, and the chances of insurrection reaching my area are rather slim, plus I have elevation and a great field of fire.

When I win the lottery or find 2 to 3 other people who want to fractionally own a good plane, it will be a Maule M7. Not to bug out, but to get me and the wife places we have never seen or can see now. 1,000 pounds payload including fuel a 164 mph cruise, land on gravel roads or fields anywhere.

I makes this Cessna 172 I have been flying for lessons seem pretty tame.

800px-Maule_M-7-260C_Orion_C-GZAU_01.jpg

As I think about it, that flying lawn chair looks like you could kill yourself most rikki-tik.
A tractor autogiro might be a good choice.
th?id=OIP.qsfoL-e82sdOWHf5YjQkaAHaEo&w=165&h=105&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&dpr=1.25&pid=3.jpg
In the 30's the DeCierva and Kellett autogiros had a great safety record.
They don't spin or stall, and the pilot will survive a landing @ 0mph, even if the airframe doesn't.

As noted by other pilots here:
  • Weight. You're only carrying so much in the aircraft, and for non-pilots it would be a lot less than you assume.
  • Weather. OK to go, or a nasty day with low clouds or icing? I've picked up ice in June (flight from KPAE to KPDX, IMC, had to request a descent from 9,000 to 7,000 to get out of it).
  • Fuel.
  • Destination. Situation there? In the book The Dog Stars the world has a SHTF and a private pilot has a rude awakening at an airport (I won't spoil it). Other pilots here might enjoy the book, or as an audio book on Apple iTunes and more.
It's a nifty fantasy to think one is going to get out via a private aircraft, but there are some serious constraints on the idea.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews