JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hello,

Strange but true: not so long ago I was at a park with my son. We parked and we unloading a few things from the car when I saw what looked like a very realistic toy pistol, just a few inches from my front tire. Moved a little closer and...whoa, that is a real pistol. Carefully picked it up, dropped the (full) clip and cleared the chamber which indeed had a round in it! Not cool.

So, what should one do if they find a gun? Do you take it to the police? Keep it?

Thanks,
DJM

I would think you should turn it in, what if its a weapon used in a murder or robbery
what if you get stopped and its found on you..you got some explaining to do..
and now days your guilty till proven innocent.

just my thoughts

I would take it to the cops.......Dont you wonder why it would be laying on the ground? :s0155: .........I would have

Get on a cell & have the cops come & get it
Call the police & say I just found a gun, what do I do?

I would take it to the cops.......Dont you wonder why it would be laying on the ground? :s0155: .........I would have

Get on a cell & have the cops come & get it
Call the police & say I just found a gun, what do I do?

I could not just leave it there -- it was at a park, kids were not far off; the gun was loaded with a round in the chamber. I did not have a cell phone with me...

I think I will simply take it to the police department and let them sort it out.

Thanks for the input.

DJM

I'd have thought, once you decided it was a real gun (w/o touching,) leave it lie and, assuming you have a cell phone, call the police to come get it. Maybe I've watched too much TV, but what if there were prints on it or the magazine or any of the other bits you've handled... What if there being a round chambered was significant to their investigation?

MrB

At least it was found and nothing happened!

What a great opportunity to show your kid what you do with "found items". Turn it in. What if it was stolen and got returned to the owner? Good karma for you!
Just my .02.

It probably got out of it'd bedside drawer and ran down to that park to shoot innocent children

Good thing you found it before it could complete it's diabolical plans!

Definitely call the police and have them come get it. Chances are its not anyone CCW, as most would be alot more observant of that falling out of its holster. Probably stolen or an unlicensed gun. I'm curious to see what will come of this, more than likely the police will keep it, or maybe you get a free gun once its processed?:) What kind was it btw?

This question has come up on here, or at least one that's somewhat similar. I actually had the same question myself. I believe the consensus was to let the police deal with it. First off, even if we're to assume the pistol was never used in a crime, it is technically illegal and considered theft to take lost property without making any effort to find the original owner and return it to them. And if it's theft, it's the theft of a gun... dunno what the legal consequences of that are, but wouldn't want to find out. Trying to keep that gun may result in one never being allowed to legally own a gun again, or at least not for a long, long time. Now if the gun was used in a crime, you've got even more potential for trouble.

I'm not sure I would have even handled the gun to the extent that you did. If the park is one in the middle of the city, you could probably call the police (particularly if you have the non-emergency number, but 911 may be ok too) and just don't leave the gun unattended until the police show up, in a city setting it would probably take a few minutes before they arrive.

If it's some park way out in desert that no one ever goes to and you don't even have cell reception, then maybe you could pick it up with a plastic bag and then take it to the police that way.

Ok Guys,

I got the point -- the gun is going to the local PD.

There was no way to call police when I found it -- this was not local city park, but slightly rural; looked like a large family outing was going on (all the kids running around).

No pay phones that I recall and I did not have my cell phone w/me. Perhaps it was wrong to pick it up, then again, leaving it on the ground for kid to find might have turned out wrong as well. I am a parent so checking the gun for safety was my first impulse, and getting it out of the reach if kids was my next thought.

Cheers,
DJM

DJM68- Just curious, what park did you find it at. as somone who frequents the portland parks with his wife and son id like to know where you were at.

And just to add i think i would have done the same thing you did. In no way in my mind is it safe to leave especially if you cant get ahold of local pd.

I wouldn't have touched the thing. But I doubt it was used in a crime. tossing a gun in a place where people go often isn't a good way to make sure the police never find a gun. Still finding a gun loaded, means it probably wasn't just some shooter or CCW that accidentally dropped it.

Who knows. I'd call the police and let them know the circumstances. Hopefully they just take it, and thank you for turning it in.

I don't know if I'd be worried about charges, it would be pretty hard to prove you intended to keep it. And would be easier to prove that you didn't want it falling into the hands of some kids.

DJM68- Just curious, what park did you find it at. as somone who frequents the portland parks with his wife and son id like to know where you were at.

And just to add i think i would have done the same thing you did. In no way in my mind is it safe to leave especially if you cant get ahold of local pd.

Not sure of the name -- smaller state park out towards browns camp on hwy 26. This was not within Portland. Honestly, I do not think this gun was used in a crime; someone was likely out to go plinking (small caliber).

In any case I did what I thought was right and prudent at that point, esp. in light of kids being in the area.

Cheers,
DJM

probably wasn't just some shooter or CCW that accidentally dropped it.

Maybe it was a concealed carry gun that someone lost. Of course we're all about responsible gun ownership, and I suspect most CHL holders are and wouldn't let such a dumb mistake happen, but there's plenty of exceptions out there.

For example, I work with a CHL holder. I happened to ask him how often he practices with his carry gun and where he goes to do that. He replies that he's never practiced, that in fact he hadn't so much as fired a single round from his carry gun or any other gun for that matter. Wouldn't surprise me if someone like that would the mistake of losing their gun.

I wouldn't have touched the thing. But I doubt it was used in a crime. tossing a gun in a place where people go often isn't a good way to make sure the police never find a gun. Still finding a gun loaded, means it probably wasn't just some shooter or CCW that accidentally dropped it.
I also would not have touched it with my fingerprints. I would have used a stick or something (or a pen, like they do on TV) and put it in a bag or something and taken it straight to the police (or call them immediately from a pay-phone or nearby store). Maybe even kicked it under my car to hide it from view and made the call.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/man-arrested-faces-5-years-in-jail-for-reporting-firearm-to-police.html

I also wouldn't say "I doubt it was used in a crime". It's certainly possible that some little thug has used it for crimes or even a shooting, and had been carrying it and dropped it. You know how "they" just keep guns in their pants -- usually pants that hang down below their underwear. Most thugs carry hot and I'm sure fully loaded up.

<broken link removed>

The fact that the gun was in a car park would make me guess someone dropped it from their belt, or it fell out of the car, as they were leaving the car park.

Of course, regardless of that, all comments above still apply.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top