JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've got a S&W snubbie that comes back as "found" when the serial number
is run.

It was in the glove compartment of a used car a friend bought. Turned it in
to the police, they kept it for a period of time. No one reported it stolen,
and no owner could be found, so he got to keep it.

Like everyone else said, turn it in to the police.

As far as prints go, just handle it on the textured surfaces and use a paper, not a plastic bag to carry it.

I hope you remember exactly when/where you found it. A gun of that pedigree found somewhere conspicuous like you described was likely ditched when someone saw a cop approaching or when running from a cop. Criminals often ditch guns and/or dope when a cop is nearby. A cop might have just chased someone through that lot and hadn't made it back to check the route for jettisoned contraband when you found it and left. Being able to document where you found it might make a case against someone who should really not be carrying a gun.

I know the guy says he wants to turn the gun into the police department. However, I cannot help but thinking of one misnomer here. Isn't it a felony to carry a gun, especially a loaded gun, into a federal building? I mean, even if you found the gun, you are carrying a weapon into the police department. IN that case, "DO NOT BRING THE GUN INTO THE POLICE DEPARTMENT". Rather, call the police and have them come pick it up. I think you may find that you can get yourself into big trouble, even though you are being a good citizen.

Don't touch it.
Make every reasonable effort to contact police cell phone or not. Someone nearby has a cell phone.
Keep a close watch on it till the cops show up, which they will rather quickly I believe.
Your finger prints are all over it. Hopefully you do not now need to come up with an alibi.

I know the guy says he wants to turn the gun into the police department. However, I cannot help but thinking of one misnomer here. Isn't it a felony to carry a gun, especially a loaded gun, into a federal building? I mean, even if you found the gun, you are carrying a weapon into the police department. IN that case, "DO NOT BRING THE GUN INTO THE POLICE DEPARTMENT". Rather, call the police and have them come pick it up. I think you may find that you can get yourself into big trouble, even though you are being a good citizen.

Police Departments are not Federal - they are State or local agencies.
I do however agree with the point you are trying to make. It would not be such a hot idea to walk into a Police Station with a gun (loaded or unloaded) unannounced. Call the Police and let them decide the details involved with turning it in.

now this is strange.. why everyone assumes from the get-go the gun is hot, used in a crime, was ditched with cops hot on the carrier's tail.....

seems far more likely to me that someone had it in their car and somehow it "escaped" and ended up on the ground. My guess is it is a perfectly lawfully owned and carried weapon that happened to go astray due to negligence on the part of its owner.

I'd try the OSP hot gun line, and see if its stolen. If so, they'll tell you, and send someone to immediately pick it up. Your story of how and where found will perhaps help them figure out some missing details.

If it doesn't come back hot, maybe figure out some ways of trying to locate the owner... notes posted at major gun stores, on here, wherever.

I'd say you did the best thing, given its location, time of day, who else was around..... keeping it from getting found by any of the smaller set knocking about the park. Hey, it could well have been someone at the park, loaded down with stuff to carry for their barbecue, dropped it on accident. My bet is it is simply lost by its rightful and lawful owner. Nothing foul or nefarious about it at all. Any punk or gangbanger running from a cop wanting to ditch his heater would NOT set it down carefully in the car park..... any marks from sliding or smacking the macadam? Or is it clean....? No, the punk would fling it some ways away from him, likely into some bushes or a pond/stream/river. Off an embankment, somewhere the coppers would not quickly find it. Certainly not in the car park, If the cops were hot on his tail and thought he'd a gun in possession, they would NOT stop looking until found. Certainly they would still have been at the park, likely have the whole place shut down and evacuated. You all know how overreactive they get whenever there's a GUN involved..... the place would be crawling with the guys, public barred from the entire area. Certainly NO kids anywhere near. Oh, no, can't EVER have any of THEM about when there may be contact (or even a sighting) of a gun, now. Not THESE days.

considering what a piece of crap it is, i think it's fairly safe to assume it belonged to someone it didn't belong to (yes, i did that on purpose). in that case, i'd probably call the po-leece. but if it was nice... dunno. running an ad in the paper would satisfy your legal obligation to attempt to find the owner- if nobody claimed it, that sucker'd be mine.

Definitely call the police and have them come get it. Chances are its not anyone CCW, as most would be alot more observant of that falling out of its holster. Probably stolen or an unlicensed gun. I'm curious to see what will come of this, more than likely the police will keep it, or maybe you get a free gun once its processed?:) What kind was it btw?

What is an "unlicensed gun"?

You can't just leave it laying there and if you don't have a cell phone with you then I expect I would put it in a safe location in my car and go to a location where I could call the PD and explaing where I found it. Let them clear the action, the less of your finger prints on the firearm the better.

I would NEVER consider keeping it even if it was a high end firearm as you just don't know what history is attached to the firearm. And trying to explain latter you found it at a park if it comes back used in a crime, stolen or reported lost simply isn't worth it.

Pretty sure they taught this in like 1st grade. Maybe ask your kids what to do. Really? Is this really a question that needs to be answered? No, you don't get to keep it. Don't touch it, call the police. Wow.

Personally I would not have touched it. I would have called the police and waited for them come collect it. Maybe I am paranoid, but I wouldn't want my fingerprints on a gun that may have been used in a crime.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top