JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Will,

I appreciate your thoughts. If you read this thread you will see that I did, indeed, thank folks for their good advice and indicated that I would take the gun to the police. That was on the first page of this thread. Advice was offered, advice was taken, thanks was given. Review the thread and you will see my thanks posted to nearly all meaningful and serious replies.

I fully agree that the measure of a man is how he interacts with those around him, both in person and yes even on Internet forums. I'd invite you to opine on the various folks who replied to this thread: several encouraged keeping the gun (a crime), others suggested leaving it, perhaps to be found by some one lacking in firearms knowledge, maybe a child. Others engaged in unfounded accusations, assumptions and fear mongering, one person going so far as to compare finding a gun with corpse. Lastly, and to the member who I addressed my "ill-mannered" reply -- I was called a liar.

I'd say, given the overall tone of this thread, my responses have been quite measured, patient, and polite.

Best,
DJM

DJM,
A fair response and I did read the full thread. Some of the post were less than right but keeping your cool at all times is important. It's just the internet. My post was prompted by your education and income statement. While you wanted to show your not some jug head you generized the members of this forum as less educated and earning far less than you. I understand that was a defensives response to some of the post. It got my attention simply because many anti gun people try to paint gun owners as under educated and in the lower income bracket. That is so far from the truth. When I read a fellow gun owner expressing this I take exception.

Over all a good thread and I expect we all learned what to do if you find a firearm in a parking lot.

DJM,
A fair response and I did read the full thread. Some of the post were less than right but keeping your cool at all times is important. It's just the internet. My post was prompted by your education and income statement. While you wanted to show your not some jug head you generized the members of this forum as less educated and earning far less than you. I understand that was a defensives response to some of the post. It got my attention simply because many anti gun people try to paint gun owners as under educated and in the lower income bracket. That is so far from the truth. When I read a fellow gun owner expressing this I take exception.

Over all a good thread and I expect we all learned what to do if you find a firearm in a parking lot.

Will,

I appreciate your thoughtful reply. Upon re-reading my "ill-mannered" post I can see how you, and others, might be offended. As you surmised, my comments were written in the "heat" of the moment, after feeling more than a bit frustrated. To you, or others, that took exception to my words I offer my apologies. You are correct in stating civility is important -- I should have taken the "high road" and simply ignored the unkind post.

Best,
DJM

I also would not have touched it with my fingerprints. I would have used a stick or something (or a pen, like they do on TV) and put it in a bag or something and taken it straight to the police (or call them immediately from a pay-phone or nearby store). Maybe even kicked it under my car to hide it from view and made the call.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/man-arrested-faces-5-years-in-jail-for-reporting-firearm-to-police.html

I also wouldn't say "I doubt it was used in a crime". It's certainly possible that some little thug has used it for crimes or even a shooting, and had been carrying it and dropped it. You know how "they" just keep guns in their pants -- usually pants that hang down below their underwear. Most thugs carry hot and I'm sure fully loaded up.

<broken link removed>

Where do I start. First I think he did the right thing by clearing the gun and securing it.
Second, picking it up with a pencil in the trigger guard is for TV actors. Depending on the type of gun and the condition it is in, sticking a pencil in the trigger guard of a loaded gun is a disaster waiting to happen, if the weight of the gun is allowed to press the trigger against the pencil, you will have a negligent discharge. Carry a loaded gun in plastic bag, not so good either.
Altho I would agree it is posable that it could have been used in a crime, statistically it is not plausible, most firearms are used for lawful purpose.
Re. Thugs carrying hot and fully loaded. Is there any other way to carry?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top