JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
now this is strange.. why everyone assumes from the get-go the gun is hot, used in a crime, was ditched with cops hot on the carrier's tail.....

seems far more likely to me that someone had it in their car and somehow it "escaped" and ended up on the ground. My guess is it is a perfectly lawfully owned and carried weapon that happened to go astray due to negligence on the part of its owner.

I'd try the OSP hot gun line, and see if its stolen. If so, they'll tell you, and send someone to immediately pick it up. Your story of how and where found will perhaps help them figure out some missing details.

If it doesn't come back hot, maybe figure out some ways of trying to locate the owner... notes posted at major gun stores, on here, wherever.

I'd say you did the best thing, given its location, time of day, who else was around..... keeping it from getting found by any of the smaller set knocking about the park. Hey, it could well have been someone at the park, loaded down with stuff to carry for their barbecue, dropped it on accident. My bet is it is simply lost by its rightful and lawful owner. Nothing foul or nefarious about it at all. Any punk or gangbanger running from a cop wanting to ditch his heater would NOT set it down carefully in the car park..... any marks from sliding or smacking the macadam? Or is it clean....? No, the punk would fling it some ways away from him, likely into some bushes or a pond/stream/river. Off an embankment, somewhere the coppers would not quickly find it. Certainly not in the car park, If the cops were hot on his tail and thought he'd a gun in possession, they would NOT stop looking until found. Certainly they would still have been at the park, likely have the whole place shut down and evacuated. You all know how overreactive they get whenever there's a GUN involved..... the place would be crawling with the guys, public barred from the entire area. Certainly NO kids anywhere near. Oh, no, can't EVER have any of THEM about when there may be contact (or even a sighting) of a gun, now. Not THESE days.

While it may be possible it was just lost/misplaced by the legal owner, I would say it is far more likely that it was ditched there by a criminal. Maybe this is naive, but I would hope that the vast majority of legal gun owners would be more responsible with their firearms than to lose one in a parking lot.

Not all criminals that ditch evidence wait until the police are chasing them. Some might see a police officer, and ditch what they have under a car or bush with the intention of coming back to pick it up later when the police are gone. I did this once as a kid with a pack of cigarettes, so I don't think it's unreasonable to think that a criminal could do likewise with drugs or a gun.

The fact is that I have no way of knowing how the gun got there. In my opinion it is better to err on the side of caution. If it was just lost then presumably the owner will have reported it lost or stolen to the police and they can still return it to the rightful owner without me having to touch it.

You have to turn it in but undoubtedly that will be another story in the news as to why all guns need to be illegal. I'm sure the headline will read something like "Loaded automatic pistol found waiting to kill innocent children in the park."

im calling b. s. on not having a cell phone with you at the park. Most people on the planet are within 2 feet of a cell phone 24 hours a day.

Call what you will, does not make you right. I am not most people -- I do not have a TV. I know most people are (sadly) addicted to their electronic toys -- I am not one of them.

Maybe the fact that it was a pocket-sized pistol is perhaps what allowed to fall unnoticed, perhaps from someone's coat pocket. It's not that unlikely it was a legal, but perhaps negligent gun-owner. I'd say, the likelihood is just as good as it being a crime gun. The fact that it's crappy like Tanfoglio Titan probably shouldn't be used to argue that it's more likely to be used in crime. That's actually the same logic that gets "Saturday Night Specials" banned, rendering the poor less able to afford firearms of any kind. Some people aren't so fortunate to be able to drop $500 on a Glock, or even $250 on a Kel-Tec, so they may have no choice but to go for the $95 Jimenez or Titan.

My thoughts are it was a gun that fell out of someones pocket at the carpark. I would turn it into police after first stating that I want assurances that it would be returned to me after a specified amount of time that it it is deemed clean and no owner found.

Call what you will, does not make you right. I am not most people -- I do not have a TV. I know most people are (sadly) addicted to their electronic toys -- I am not one of them.

get off the computer then! :D having electronics does not make you an addict to anything. I have a cell phone and hardly use it, I have for the times that I actually need it. Get yourself a pre-paid phone and stick it in your glove box and forget about it until the moment you need it.

if you wanted to call the police about this gun you would of. The are phones all over the place, the majority of people have cell phone you could of asked someone. If you WANTED to report it you would have.

If you found a dead body next to the park in the bushes would you cram it into your trunk and go home and post on the net for advice on what to do?? No, you would find a phone and take care of the problem asap!

Personally, a gun found on the street is the last thing I would want in my possession! I wouldnt want my prints even found on something that could of be used in a crime.

I wouldn't have touched the thing. But I doubt it was used in a crime. tossing a gun in a place where people go often isn't a good way to make sure the police never find a gun.

unless it was a stolen gun that was recently stolen for the sole purpose of committing a crime.

Then the whole idea is to have a gun that cant be traced to you that you won't mind dropping right there.

The gun was already turned in to the Portland Police Dept (North). I'd say it took less than 5 minutes. I came to the front desk, told the clerk I found a gun, she called an officer. The office came out, greeted me politely (offered to shake my hand); we went into a side room, I produced the gun. I explained the circumstances of finding the pistol and he commented "securing the weapon was the right course of action". Overall a very friendly and pleasant experience with the Portland police.

get off the computer then! :D having electronics does not make you an addict to anything. I have a cell phone and hardly use it, I have for the times that I actually need it. Get yourself a pre-paid phone and stick it in your glove box and forget about it until the moment you need it.

if you wanted to call the police about this gun you would of. The are phones all over the place, the majority of people have cell phone you could of asked someone. If you WANTED to report it you would have.

If you found a dead body next to the park in the bushes would you cram it into your trunk and go home and post on the net for advice on what to do?? No, you would find a phone and take care of the problem asap!

Personally, a gun found on the street is the last thing I would want in my possession! I wouldnt want my prints even found on something that could of be used in a crime.

I am an engineer -- I work with computers for a living. For not carrying a cell phone I was called a liar by one of the posters on this forum. I never said I do not have a cell phone, I just do not take with me everywhere I go. When I am out with my son or my wife I usually leave the cell phone at home. Do I need to be "wired" at all times? I actually desire to be *away* from phones and computers, maybe it is because I am an engineer and technology is my job.

I have to wonder, can any of you read? What do you not understand about "semi rural" and no pay phones around? Please go visit a local state park and look around for pay phones...not to be found.

The gun I found cost maybe $100 -- it is a real POS. I can not imagine why anyone would want such a gun -- judging by the quality of the gun, I suspect it would fail when you need it most. I was not looking to enrich myself. I am privileged enough to have the gift of a very good education -- I earn a significant amount of money (I'd wager I pay more in taxes than many of you earn in a year); I spend more on coffee each month than the value of the pistol in question.

It is really sad self-indictment of supposedly "responsible" gun owners whom would leave a gun on the ground where there is a real risk of child picking it up. More worried about your own skin than protecting a child? Wow.

I will go with the the office said when I dropped off the gun -- "securing the weapon was the right course of action".

DJM

My thoughts are it was a gun that fell out of someones pocket at the carpark. I would turn it into police after first stating that I want assurances that it would be returned to me after a specified amount of time that it it is deemed clean and no owner found.

I specifically pointed out to the officer that I have no interest in the gun, which I do not. It is a junk gun of questionable quality and likely to be more dangerous than useful.

DJM

I agree if you have no way of contacting the police. I would have done the same. I would have picked it up carefully with a barrier to keep my prints off the gun and unloaded it just as you did. Generally I do have a cell phone on me however so in that case I would have called the police, stayed with the gun, and waited for them to arrive. My kids know not to touch it but I know not all kids are as well educated. You did the right thing. :s0155:

I am an engineer -- I work with computers for a living. For not carrying a cell phone I was called a liar by one of the posters on this forum. I never said I do not have a cell phone, I just do not take with me everywhere I go. When I am out with my son or my wife I usually leave the cell phone at home. Do I need to be "wired" at all times? I actually desire to be *away* from phones and computers, maybe it is because I am an engineer and technology is my job.

The gun I found cost maybe $100 -- it is a real POS. I can not imagine why anyone would want such a gun -- judging by the quality of the gun, I suspect it would fail when you need it most. I was not looking to enrich myself. I am privileged enough to have the gift of a very good education -- I earn a significant amount of money (I'd wager I pay more in taxes than many of you earn in a year); I spend more on coffee each month than the value of the pistol in question.

You just called us all un-educated and poor :huh:

You may make more than some of us and waste you money on coffee and even be smarter than some of us, but I think you just proved that you are a dumb ***.

You just called us all un-educated and poor :huh:

You may make more than some of us and waste you money on coffee and even be smarter than some of us, but I think you just proved that you are a dumb ***.

Not my intention to suggest anyone is uneducated or poor. I was merely trying to point out that most of the replies on to this topic were way off base; the majority of replies assumed either nefarious intent on my part (trying to "profit" from the found gun) or the gun itself was the weapon of a criminal simply due to its cheap nature. Additionally, I was called a liar by one of the board members. Where's the civility guys? A little faith in one another? Would I have posted such an inquiry if I was up to no good?

So, let's put an end to this thread and return what has mostly been a very enjoyable forum for gun enthusiasts in the PacNW.

Cheers,
DJM

P.S. I do agree that I am a dumb*** for spending so much on coffee!

For what its worth, I think you made the right decision. I would've done the same thing.

I also spend all my working hours enmeshed in technology, and even carry a Blackberry with me on top of my personal cell phone. I look forward to when I get home and can walk away from both of them!

I was kinda bummed to see some posts get a little excited. This forum has been pretty positive from what I've seen so far. I think most of us here are on the same page with a lot of things. I hope it stays that way.

And don't switch to "break room" coffee. I did that a year ago to save a few bucks. That stuff will kill ya!

I could not just leave it there -- it was at a park, kids were not far off; the gun was loaded with a round in the chamber. I did not have a cell phone with me...

I think I will simply take it to the police department and let them sort it out.

Thanks for the input.

DJM

Don't walk in a police station with a firearm instead ask them to come to your house-

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top