JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I left the house(seattle)yesterday and forgot my permit. Should I have been involved with the police what would the consequences have been?Can they run my name and find out if I have a permit?

I don't know if they would run your name. In fact, it's doubtful.

This is Oregon.

Q. What will happen if I have a concealed handgun license but do not have it on my person when I'm stopped by a law enforcement officer and have a concealed handgun in my possession?
A. This is a serious offense and can result in arrest and seizure and revocation of your license.

ORS 166.292(2) states: "Failure of a person who carries a concealed handgun also to carry a concealed handgun license is prima facie evidence that the person does not have such a license."

--

This is Washington:

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.

In Washington a class 1 civil infraction results in a $250 fine. Not sure of any other problems you might have.

Let me know how scanning it works for you....

Driving without your driver's license is a civil infraction. Having a copy on your phone won't get you out of a ticket. Sure, the cops can run your name, and if you have a license and they are in a good mood, you might not get a ticket, but..... Same with a CPL. They might run your name, find you have your CPL, and not give you a ticket, but...

I don't know if they would run your name. In fact, it's doubtful.

Just about any contact you have with police is going to require you to present ID. The dispatchers will sometimes run any IDs given to them to put in the call logs on the MDT's, depending on how busy they are. If they get a hit, they will then contact the officer, who can dig deeper. The officer does not have to ask them to do that either. If the dispatcher sees any information such as a 35Willy a, (CHL), warrants, officer safety information, or anything other than routine information, they are going to contact the officer immediately. Most times the officer can run you right in the car, unless it is a motor unit.

Having to present a document such as a CHL, while carrying, is made pretty clear in the classes and in the document information provided by the issuing agency. I fully understood that when I got mine anyway.

You could just give name birth date and possibly SS verbally. They can access your DMV photo to verify identity. A lot of factors contribute to how that situation is going to go for you.

#1: WA cannot stop and ID. If you do noting illegal you should have no interaction with LE. If they stop you for a traffic infraction, you pistol has nothing to do with traffic laws and is irrelevant.

#2: There is no normal place that you cannot Openly Carry your loaded pistol without any permit in WA, except your vehicle (exceptions in RCW 9.41.060). In a vehicle (unless you meet an exemption) in WA you only need to pop the mag to be legal, and the LEO cannot check anyway unless you are suspected of some criminal activity.

Carry on, Carry Openly, and you have no worries.

With a CPL you can OC or CC anywher you can carry.

Thanks for the info. When I found out that I was without my permit I simply dropped my mag and put the gun in my backpack. Would have just open Carried but I was also w/o my id so I just figured stowing my weapon was the best course of action. Actually one of the guys I work with brought up the question as to whether my cpl would show up if they ran my id. I was pretty sure it wouldn't,but he thought it would. Sounds like we were both half right. Will not happen again. Stupid mistake.

Don't have any interaction with LE, and OC. You do not need a nanny permit to OC anywhere you can cc with a permit in WA.
I don't agree. RCW 9.41.300 says that "(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances: ... (b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to: (i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060."

So, while you are entitled to CC in stadiums and convention centers, you are not entitled to OC. Arguably, one with a CPL may be able to OC in a stadium or convention center. I don't read the law as saying you must CC in these areas.

Last Edited:
I don't agree. RCW 9.41.300 says that "(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances: ... (b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to: (i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060."

So, while you are entitled to CC in stadiums and convention centers, you are not entitled to OC. Arguably, one with a CPL may be able to OC in a stadium or convention center. I don't read the law as saying you must CC in these areas.

please note I said "normally go". Also note the word "MAY" restrict. For Seattle, Tacoma and Spokane you are correct, they have restricted UNLICENSED OC in their stadiums and convention centers... but I do not think these are places average Joe will frequent on a daily basis..No?

I am not trying to pick an argument with you Rapgood. My post may have been a bit too generalized, but I think you understand my argument... Stadiums and Convention centers are not everyday places for most people. As for OC verse CC, (in WA, OR, ID and a lot of other states) you can OC anywhere you CC. It may require you to have a CPL/CHL, but there are no areas that you are required to conceal. You may be required to have a CPL (or whatever the particular state calls their nanny permit) but no UNLICENSED OC state that I know of restricts OC when it concerns places they require a permit.

Actually, in MT it is quite the opposite. Example: you may OC (unlicensed or licensed) into a bar, but you may not CC in a bar (even with a license).

Guess they're onto something. Watching the Seahawks is about as enjoyable as going to jail and similar in cost. ;)

Watch your back :s0114:

Joking aside, we know clink meant jail. But since stadium names are usually ruined by naming rights (Lucas Oil Stadium, Everbank Field, etc) "Clink" as a short, catchy name that is a lot cooler than most other names.

The scanning as a pic into your phone is a great idea. It doesn't necessarily mean a cop will accept it, but it sure beats being stuck without any proof whatsoever.

Did the same with my ODL. Then scanned my credit cards into my PC and so now I have easy access to info if lost or stolen.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top