JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have enough threaded guns that I am going to get a suppressor finally. I have a few models in mind but I thought I would ask those in the know what they thought. My primary use will be for. 45, but I also have 9mms and a 300 blk to use it on. I have a .308 that is threaded too but that is less important.

Question 1: how important is it that the can comes apart for cleaning? It will never be used for lead or rimfire ammo.

Question 2: is it possible to get a can rated for full power. 308 that isnt huge and weighs a ton?

Question 3: how much longer does it take to order a non-stocked suppressor? And somewhat related, who are good dealers who stock a variety that I can handle?

Liberty Cosmic , .45 cal suppressor rated for about 70 calibers.
IMG_20180802_225921772_zpsbaddsxxd.jpg
IMG_20180702_122151701_zpsm41wy0vj.jpg
IMG_20180728_155910_zpsqcfhbzes.jpg
IMG_20180614_100306_zps6o4mmtzq.jpg

I have enough threaded guns that I am going to get a suppressor finally. I have a few models in mind but I thought I would ask those in the know what they thought. My primary use will be for. 45, but I also have 9mms and a 300 blk to use it on. I have a .308 that is threaded too but that is less important.

Question 1: how important is it that the can comes apart for cleaning? It will never be used for lead or rimfire ammo.

Question 2: is it possible to get a can rated for full power. 308 that isnt huge and weighs a ton?

Question 3: how much longer does it take to order a non-stocked suppressor? And somewhat related, who are good dealers who stock a variety that I can handle?

ive shot thousands thru my silencerco hybrid and never have cleaned it. its not easily serviceable like other cans are. this can is full auto rated and will handle up to a 338 lapua with an 18" barrel. i bought it from ticklicker firearms in salem. i love it.

i mostly shoot 300blk, 5.56, 308 40s&w, 45acp and 9mm thru it

the mystic x was my 2nd choice to the silencerco hybrid. i went with the hybrid because my dealer stocked it.

liberty makes good silencers!
I looked at the Mystic X and the Hybrid also , but I chose the Cosmic because it only weighs 9.5 OZ so on a pistol it doesn't make it too nose heavy. My next one I'm waiting for is a Surefire 300SPS , mostly because its super durabe and I have like 6 rifles with Surefire muzzle devices on which I don't wan't to replace.

ive shot thru a surefire 300sps. a good friend owns one. im confident you'll be happy with it. i just went all ASR with my rifles for my hybrid. well worth it to go the quick attach route

The cosmic is one I have really been looking at, another one is the octane. Lightweight is important as this will be a handgun suppressor probably 75% of the time, and if I get a rifle can someday it will be a beefy one, so I'm not too worried about covering a ton of calibers.

That said, the cosmic is light, and covers a lot of calibers. Question though, do you need a booster for every thread pattern, or just a piston?

The cosmic is one I have really been looking at, another one is the octane. Lightweight is important as this will be a handgun suppressor probably 75% of the time, and if I get a rifle can someday it will be a beefy one, so I'm not too worried about covering a ton of calibers.

That said, the cosmic is light, and covers a lot of calibers. Question though, do you need a booster for every thread pattern, or just a piston?
Liberty boosters use interchangeable pistons. So one booster and then whatever thread pistons you need to fit your hosts. The silencer shop has a special on Liberty boosters if you buy a .578-24 you get a free 1/2-28 piston

Only .22 cans should be able to come apart for cleaning.

You should NEVER take apart a Centerfire silencer. There is no reason to.
If it's got a little dirt in it, it will be quieter.

Think of a long hallway in a house.
If it's hardwood floors, and you shout down the hallway, it's loud.
If it's carpeted, and you shout down the same hall, it's quiet.

If you want to shoot .22, get a .22 can.
All others use a centerfire can.

The cans that do all calibers, do them pretty good, but don't do any particular caliber awesomely.

Given the calibers you listed, I would recommend the Dead Air Ghost, or Rugged Obsidian. The Ghost is on sale now with the purchase of any other Dead Air can.

For the .308, get a .308 can
For .22 get a .22 can.

The best deal would be to buy a Dead Air Mask .22, and get the Ghost for $399.

My first was a 308 can that I run on my M14, AK, and AR.
I also have a .45 can that I also run 9mm through, and I have a .22 Mag can that I also run .22 LR through, all 3 cans are serviceable... I wouldn't want one that I couldn't service.

Everyone who responds will have a favorite so I'll throw mine in the hat too. My first was an AMTAC suppressor that I put on my MPX 9mm. It was an over-the-barrel type that only extends about 3.5" past the initial barrel plus slid down inside the hand guard. I didn't want to make it even more nose-heavy than it was. They make one in .308 that will do the same thing. Adding 8" to a rifle that is 30+" ? Plus, all AMTAC cans do not break down so you don't clean them. (only on their 22 cal do you have to).

I went with the Hybrid for a few reasons.
1. I already have an Omega, and the rifle parts interchange.
2. I want to shoot 45/70 through it.
3. I got a free Octane 45 can for buying the Hybrid (and the pistons interchange between both).
If those were not factors for me, I may have gone with something other than the centerfire cans I bought.

Titanium suppressors are where it's at unless you want something beltfed rated (rugged). Gemtech Sandstorm is a workhorse and any similar sized can of good repute should serve you well.

Imho it is not important that the can comes apart unless it's aluminum tube with other material baffles that can be removed for cleaning. The front cap coming off is a nice feature that may save you from having to send the whole thing to the factory to reapair an end cap strike (of which I've only had on qd removable or pistol cans).

Get set up with silencershop and one of their dealers, super easy ... I'll personally never buy from anyone else going forward. Its gonna take a while regardless so get exactly what you want and make sure it's top shelf regardless of wait.

A lot of good advice so far.

For a lightweight .308 suppressor, look at the TBAC Ultra 5 & Ultra 7.

Another good option is an Omega with a titanium endcap and direct thread adapter, or Q's Plan B mount with Cherry Bomb brake.

Either of these will also work well on your .300 Blackout.

Personally, I would highly recommend sticking with one of the major suppressor manufacturers, rather than going with a small boutique company.

Even though many companies offer a lifetime warranty, that only applies as long as the company is still around. Huntertown Arms is a good example of this.

Just something to consider.

I went with the Hybrid for a few reasons.
1. I already have an Omega, and the rifle parts interchange.
2. I want to shoot 45/70 through it.
3. I got a free Octane 45 can for buying the Hybrid (and the pistons interchange between both).
If those were not factors for me, I may have gone with something other than the centerfire cans I bought.

When was the octane 45 free with hybrid and where from? I would love to get a hybrid with a free octane 45.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top