JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Exactly. Per NWFA protocols we're not supposed to respond directly to such ads with the obvious buyer beware message, but sheesh, what kind of ding dong is either stupid enough or just blatantly greedy enough to post an ad for a USED firearm when you can buy the same item brand new for less? And if a buyer actually falls for it, there must be better words than "fool" or "ignoramus" for such people.
I know and I abide by the rules and bite my tongue but some cases are ridiculous and should be called out. I'm of the persuasion that the people that fall for it don't deserve it just because they don't know, they could be new to guns. I have no problem asking top dollar but those asking full retail or more are being intentionally greedy.

It's too bad that inappropriate nonsense like this happens on this otherwise fantastic forum…..'

Had a good friend pretty much "read his rights" via PM rather than simply asking questions about a firearm he had listed for sale. Apparently it didn't matter to the reader that the seller had mentioned in the listing to
"Please PM me if you have any questions about the firearm." Happened this week y'all, and at Christmas time no less…..

……so….. if I was looking to buy
a car & the mileage wasn't listed, ….I'd politely ask the question because it's important info.

Doesn't matter if it's 50 or 1K rounds through a Tikka, does it? They do have a website to reference for information such as rate of twist on specific calibers of firearms, along with lots of other helpful information.

Wasn't terribly long ago that another friend had what he said was a pretty bad experience after having just joined the forum. Seems somebody jumped on his case for having not met his high and mighty standards for classified ads here. Needless to say it was enough to have that new member quit the forum completely after only a couple of weeks.

I, too can attest to the occasional rudeness that isn't becoming, or even fitting or necessary at all here. Had the same thing happen to me shortly after becoming a member, and I would have bailed completely on this forum for good if it hadn't been for the unexpected kindness and direction of arakboss up north.

Seriously, folks….. we need more people like arakboss here on the forum!

Common, guys…. use some common courtesy for crying out loud and be kind to each other, and don't be put off if your questions aren't answered by simply reading my listings please? It might just be that I'm overworked …… and I overlooked or forgot something because I'm tired? It's ok to bring something to my attention, but please don't have a cow while doing so. Honestly, I'll be glad to thank you personally when you do! :)

Just sayin', cuz it's the right thing to do, ain't it?

Last Edited:
Exactly. Per NWFA protocols we're not supposed to respond directly to such ads with the obvious buyer beware message, but sheesh, what kind of ding dong is either stupid enough or just blatantly greedy enough to post an ad for a USED firearm when you can buy the same item brand new for less? And if a buyer actually falls for it, there must be better words than "fool" or "ignoramus" for such people.
It could be some buyers are either unaware of lower priced new items available locally or don't want to deal with ordering online.

It's too bad that inappropriate nonsense like this happens on this otherwise fantastic forum…..'

Had a good friend pretty much "read his rights" via PM rather than simply asking questions about a firearm he had listed for sale. Apparently it didn't matter to the reader that the seller had mentioned in the listing to
"Please PM me if you have any questions about the firearm." Happened this week y'all, and at Christmas time no less…..

……so….. if I was looking to buy
a car & the mileage wasn't listed, ….I'd politely ask the question because it's important info.

Doesn't matter if it's 50 or 1K rounds through a Tikka, does it? They do have a website to reference for information such as rate of twist on specific calibers of firearms, along with lots of other helpful information.

Wasn't terribly long ago that another friend had what he said was a pretty bad experience after having just joined the forum. Seems somebody jumped on his case for having not met his high and mighty standards for classified ads here. Needless to say it was enough to have that new member quit the forum completely after only a couple of weeks.

I, too can attest to the occasional rudeness that isn't becoming, or even fitting or necessary at all here. Had the same thing happen to me shortly after becoming a member, and I would have bailed completely on this forum for good if it hadn't been for the unexpected kindness and direction of arakboss up north.

Seriously, folks….. we need more people like arakboss here on the forum!

Common, guys…. use some common courtesy for crying out loud and be kind to each other, and don't be put off if your questions aren't answered by simply reading my listings please? It might just be that I'm overworked …… and I overlooked or forgot something because I'm tired? It's ok to bring something to my attention, but please don't have a cow while doing so. Honestly, I'll be glad to thank you personally when you do! :)

Just sayin', cuz it's the right thing to do, ain't it?
Well said.

Edit: I am glad you stuck around. Anybody who passed up on buying from @Luvmegrandkids because he was missing a piece of info in his ad, has lost out. He has always been excellent to deal with, provided great deals and went above and beyond in responding to any requests I have made.

Last Edited:
One example of a great deal I bought for $300 recently, that had an ad shy on details was this one.

It turns out that the light was a Surefire, the light mount and foreward grip were from BCM and it included a Radian Raptor charging handle. He was also very flexible with price, which may or may not have been made clear in ad.

Moral of this story is, it can pay off not to be a lazy buyer.

Posting a Smith revolver and not posting what dash it is and refusing to answer questions about such in the thread seems awful lazy to me. And to some people, it's a REALLY big deal to get the right dash or avoid the wrong one.
Yeah. Actually, the current production Smith revolvers, 629-6 and later, have the firing pin on the frame, have the internal lock, have cheap MIM metal parts, and have wide tolerances so little or no hand fitting is required. And they are not as accurate on average than the older Smiths. They represent a profound redesign compared to the 629-4 and under. The 629-6 and later should not have been given the same basic model number as the 629-4 and under.

I know and I abide by the rules and bite my tongue but some cases are ridiculous and should be called out. I'm of the persuasion that the people that fall for it don't deserve it just because they don't know, they could be new to guns. I have no problem asking top dollar but those asking full retail or more are being intentionally greedy.
Some people who aren't that knowledgeable about Smith revolvers see used 629-4s and under being offered at prices substantially higher than new 629s. They don't realize that their used 629-6 or later is the same inferior design as the current 629-6 or later and is at best worth $200 less than new 629s. Its only the used 629-4 or less that are selling for hundreds over new prices of 629s because its apples and oranges. The 629-4s and under are the best N frame revolvers Smith ever made, and they aren't making them any more. A used 629-6 or over is a completely different design, the same inferior design as current production and they are making more every day. "Inferior" is relative of course. No need to do anything crazy such as buy a T....

Yeah. Actually, the current production Smith revolvers, 629-6 and later, have the firing pin on the frame, have the internal lock, have cheap MIM metal parts, and have wide tolerances so little or no hand fitting is required. And they are not as accurate on average than the older Smiths. They represent a profound redesign compared to the 629-4 and under. The 629-6 and later should not have been given the same basic model number as the 629-4 and under.
That's why I use a 629-1.....I know I can trust my life with it, and I have on multiple occasions!

Hey you two, does a pre lock 529 count? I do miss my old 629-1 though.
Yes, indeed. I just don't happen to know the exact dash numbers for the 529s where the transition takes place because I prefer SS myself, which is just my own personal preference. And I've been in the market for 629s. In downgrading the designs first they move firing pin from hammer to frame and use cheap MIM metal parts. That can happen one dash version earlier than they add locks. For the blued guns the finish is better on the pre lock models too.

Likewise for the pre lock and post lock versions of other Smith revolvers including the .357s and .22s in both SS and blue. In all cases just make sure the gun has the firing pin on the hammer, not on the frame, as well as no lock.

Collectors especially like the earliest guns after the transition, those which still have the pinned barrels and recessed cylinder chambers. In the 629s these are the earliest part of the 629 no dash run only. The pinning of barrels make it impossible for the factory to screw the barrel in too much or too little, something to check on later revolvers. The recessed cylinder chambers I'm happy not to have as they take extra time to clean. The 629 no dash, -1, and -2
are a little lighter built in some parts than the -3 and -4 because it became obvious that silhouette shooters firing a steady diet of full power loads could damage or wear the guns out. So the guns were strengthened by the addition of the "endurance package". However, few guns were or are fired enough for that to matter. But before buying any used revolver, check bore to make sure lands and groves are sharp. Check forcing comb for splits or damage. Check that cylinder lock up is tight. And of course check the cylinder stop grooves and the stop lever (dont know name of part( to make sure some idiot has not damaged gun by flipping gun to close cylinder instead of handling gently. The 629-3 and 629-4 also have a remove able front sight. In other words, a few desirable but not critical features got dropped from the 629 no dash, but some improvements were made between 629 and 629-4. Then starting 629-5 came the start of the massive redesign to make the guns require less hand fitting and finishing, all of which made the guns less accurate and less well fit and finished. And the same applies to all the Smith revolvers except the x frames, which came after the downgrading and include them.

Last Edited:
That's why I use a 629-1.....I know I can trust my life with it, and I have on multiple occasions!
Do all of you guys carry .44 mags? I know a coworker of yours who relies on his old 29-2. He told me a story once of a bear falling at his feet, with, as I recall, a single round left in the cylinder. That's sure to get the adrenaline pumping. :eek:

That old gun was pristine when I sold it to him (a long time ago). The last time I saw it, it was looking very well used but still going strong. He's hard on his guns. I guess that happens when it's a tool used daily on the job.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top