JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Man I bought a new S&W shield to replace my Glock 26 as a carry piece, but I'm super gun shy to carry it. I've always had full confidence in my Glock and trying to put that new confidence in a piece I don't know well is so much harder than I thought.

I've taken to the range once, but with out at least a few hundred more rounds through I can't bring myself to carry it.

Anyone else dealt with the resistance to trust a new partner?

Easy to understand. My new carry auto is 99.9% reliable, but sometimes I default to the 100% reliable revolver. Only 5 shots instead of 13 and the sights are lousy past 20 feet but at least I know the thing will work.

This may sound crazy but sometimes during a painful nighttime trying to sleep, the aches and injuries get manifested as nightmares. In my thrashing, the dreams includes semi auto guns not working when really needed.

The usual nightmares include being stuck in heavy molasses and everything moves so slowly. The Browning High Power comes up, out, presented, safety flipped off but the trigger will not move. Then bad things happen.

Not so with the .44 revolver. In fact sometimes in the dream I can suddenly be armed with both. The BHP fails. The Bulldog .44 does not. This might be because I have 20 years with the .44. The BHP is a new platform.

A solution for you might be to get some professional instruction or attend one of those very expensive shooting ranches. I did. My subconscious need for adequate training and round count was met with the revolver.

Not yet with the Browning High Power. Strange that would be the case. My solution would be to get some more teaching and get more 9mm rounds downrange. Then the subconscious need for competency would be met?

Go figure that one out. Maybe too much information also.

I switched from a G42 to a Shield during the rebate frenzie. Been carrying it appendix-style from day one. Forget all the time that it's there. Just took it off because I'm giving my newly acquired work truck a tune up and it keeps stabbing me in the gut. :D

They're both striker fired and pretty much work the same way. I don't have any less confidence in the Shield than I do my Glocks. Although I did just have to clean it......you know, lint everywhere. :D

I just started going with appendix carry but when I get in the vehicle I move it to the side.

Something about having that barrel rammed into my junk or my artery is very unnerving.

What holster do you use?

Shoot it a lot with the ammo (or as close to it as you can get).

Even the best handgun with the best reputation should be shot to make sure it works. Every gun brand/model has at least a few lemons, and you don't know you didn't get one until you build that confidence by shooting it a while.

Shoot it a lot with the ammo (or as close to it as you can get).

Even the best handgun with the best reputation should be shot to make sure it works. Every gun brand/model has at least a few lemons, and you don't know you didn't get one until you build that confidence by shooting it a while.

Yep. I will run 500 rounds through a new gun before carrying it. Exception is 250 for a Glock, 532,000 if its a 1911.

I'm with @No_Regerts - 500 rounds is my benchmark for a carry gun. Lets it get broken in, gives you a chance to get familiar with the layout of the controls, get a feel for the trigger reset, get to know the aim point, check the reliability of the magazines - both function and how well they drop. And on the S&W M&P's, after 500 rounds, the stock trigger starts to smooth out and becomes much nicer.

I tend to feel a little shy about changing guns, but if you give it some time at the range first, you should be able to make that transition easier.

I just started going with appendix carry but when I get in the vehicle I move it to the side.

Something about having that barrel rammed into my junk or my artery is very unnerving.

What holster do you use?

I use a @ORYGUNHolsterCompany kydex appendix holster. I forget its even there most of the time. Takes about two weeks to get used to. And yes, I agree that the barrel pointing straight at my junk took a minute to get used to, but now I don't even think about it. The gun CAN NOT fire without pressing the trigger. That's what "cocks" a striker fire. Just like a Glock. :s0155:

I will do 200 rounds of deliberate fire and then run drills with another 300 over a couple of outings. Lets you see if there is a difference between shooting clean or not. If shooting good ammo, it should be enough to get any bugs to show their selves. In the OPs case, the guns are different but the controls are pretty similar. If I was going to a completely different action type, it might take me more ammo to learn the new controls. I'd do that with drills.

I do 100 rounds for Glocks. Frankly I haven't had one yet not be 100% reliable. My Shield I did 250 flawless rounds of varying brands and grain weight/projectile type. I feel fine carrying either.

(minimum) 300rds of FMJ then 20rds of HPs, in the same string, with the exact mags you use to carry.... before I would trust a new gun. Ive seen the sights literally fall off a brand new gun, Had one defective barrel from a brand new Sig that wouldn't feed ~50% of the time, 1 brand new high end "match grade" mag that wouldn't feed or lock the slide back and 1 brand new sig with a missing slidelock lever spring from the factory (slide would lock back anytime randomly). All brand new high quality reputation guns.

(minimum) 300rds of FMJ then 20rds of HPs, in the same string, with the exact mags you use to carry.... before I would trust a new gun. Ive seen the sights literally fall off a brand new gun, Had one defective barrel from a brand new Sig that wouldn't feed ~50% of the time, 1 brand new high end "match grade" mag that wouldn't feed or lock the slide back and 1 brand new sig with a missing slidelock lever spring from the factory (slide would lock back anytime randomly). All brand new high quality reputation guns.

Funny you mention that. I had a front sight come off a new Glock a few years back - only gun it's ever happened with.

My problem is running enough defense loads through it to ensure proper feeding after breaking it in with fmjs. Defense loads are what you are going to bet your life on. In order to run enough HP rounds through the gun, I have just spent enough money to buy another (cheap) gun. I figure that 200 HPs that you are going to use for concealed carry are the minimum, but more is better. I think that I have only one gun that I haven't spent more on ammo than the cost of the gun, and even that one is close.

My problem is running enough defense loads through it to ensure proper feeding after breaking it in with fmjs. Defense loads are what you are going to bet your life on. In order to run enough HP rounds through the gun, I have just spent enough money to buy another (cheap) gun. I figure that 200 HPs that you are going to use for concealed carry are the minimum, but more is better. I think that I have only one gun that I haven't spent more on ammo than the cost of the gun, and even that one is close.

Which is still WAY cheaper than what your life is worth.... ;)

the FMJ tests the function of the gun. You don't need more than even close to 20 rds of hollowpoints in any actual situation so thats a good amount to call it good with. Id expect to fire 1 20rd box of your choice self defense rounds without any malfunctions to qualify the gun.

and if you really want to test just hollowpoints there are a few manufacturers that produce very cheap hollowpoint ammo in bulk prices close enough to the same as bulk FMJ.

keep in mind that there isn't any semi auto pistol made specifically designed to shoot hollowpoints, only FMJ.

the FMJ tests the function of the gun. You don't need more than even close to 20 rds of hollowpoints in any actual situation so thats a good amount to call it good with. Id expect to fire 1 20rd box of your choice self defense rounds without any malfunctions to qualify the gun.

and if you really want to test just hollowpoints there are a few manufacturers that produce very cheap hollowpoint ammo in bulk prices close enough to the same as bulk FMJ.

keep in mind that there isn't any semi auto pistol made specifically designed to shoot hollowpoints, only FMJ.
I have several guns that operate fine with one hollow-point and jam with another - even if the profile appears similar. If I am going to depend on the gun and ammo combination, I want to be sure. You are right about semi-autos and fmjs, but fmjs do not make for the best defensive rounds.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews