JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just started going with appendix carry but when I get in the vehicle I move it to the side.

Something about having that barrel rammed into my junk or my artery is very unnerving.

What holster do you use?
I do not wish to add you to my eunuch news stories. :)

Just avoid soft holsters. If a gun is going to be pointed at my ding ding and beans or my artery I carry none junk guns. Ie, Glocks, Springfields, s&w, sig, ect. You get the idea. I'm not gonna have a pt111 aimed at my sac. It ain't happening. Now I get the argument with keeping one in the chamber and always be ready but I do carry in condition one a lot. On the other hand I'm very involved with situational awareness.

The shield is a good gun. Keep putting rounds all all types in her but I'm sure it's just fine.

Man I bought a new S&W shield to replace my Glock 26 as a carry piece, but I'm super gun shy to carry it. I've always had full confidence in my Glock and trying to put that new confidence in a piece I don't know well is so much harder than I thought.

I've taken to the range once, but with out at least a few hundred more rounds through I can't bring myself to carry it.

Anyone else dealt with the resistance to trust a new partner?

Sounds smart too me;)

I have several guns that operate fine with one hollow-point and jam with another - even if the profile appears similar. If I am going to depend on the gun and ammo combination, I want to be sure. You are right about semi-autos and fmjs, but fmjs do not make for the best defensive rounds.
I wouldn't exactly argue that the FMJ's are the worst defensive rounds either but I hear what your saying. Their really isn't a solution since hollowpoint geometry is not regulated and there are unlimited options. This subject kind of eludes to the whole handgun longevity debate where fanboys boast how their favorite can run 10,000 rds without malfunction etc. and while thats cool to know its also moot in a practical sense. A 20rd box of premium HPs should qualify any gun just fine.

I wouldn't exactly argue that the FMJ's are the worst defensive rounds either but I hear what your saying. Their really isn't a solution since hollowpoint geometry is not regulated and there are unlimited options. This subject kind of eludes to the whole handgun longevity debate where fanboys boast how their favorite can run 10,000 rds without malfunction etc. and while thats cool to know its also moot in a practical sense. A 20rd box of premium HPs should qualify any gun just fine.

My 1911 has yet to have a failure with any condition or Ammo I just don't carry it daily cuz it's so heavy.

It does make a good car or house gun though.

I have a Shield 9mm that I use for a summer carry gun. It has been very reliable so far. I've fired about 600 rds of FMJ ammo thru it and at least 300 rds of carry JHP rounds thru it. It's been completely reliable. It's good practice too. Remember - Ammo is cheap, life is expensive! Having said that, when it cools off a little more, I will be carrying my 1911 again.

Yeah I swore off soft holsters the first time I used one.
I usually use a simple kydex IWB.

I'm going to the range tomorrow and put another 100rds through it.

The first trip to the range I had an issie with the slide locking back on the mag after the last round.

But could be the way I'm gripping it so I will keep an eye on that while shooting

Add me to the 500 round club as well... It's the minimum I feel comfortable with putting through a new firearm to ensure reliability. It'll typically consist of 200 rounds of factory fmj, 200 rounds of my reloads in various potencies and 100 rounds of my carry load.

In the case of the Shield 45 I've been carrying, the carry round is Federal HST 230gr., which its functioned flawlessly with... Also flawless with factory fmj as well... One hangup with my reloads, and I'll attribute that to my own manufacturing defect...

The Shield is carried in an Extreme Concealment kydex iwb holster at just about 3 o'clock. This is the first carry gun to not wear leather, and only because the kydex is much smoother than the leather I purchased...

Comfortable and un-intrusive carry, easy on and off, as needed. I'm quite satisfied with this combination as a carry choice...

YMMV.
image.jpeg

500 rounds is my minimum requirement before I'll carry a new gun but I'm a lot more comfortable with 1000. There's no need to rush this. Take you time and run some more rounds through.

The statistical probability of you ever needing the gun in the first place is damn near .0

The statistical probability of it failing on you, given that you chose a reputable brand, is damn near .0

The conditional probability of you needing it and it failing is closer to .000

Until then, go out shooting once in a while, do drills, etc. You will gain confidence with it within a year.

Many others have already said it, you just need a few more trips to the range with her to build up that trust. As far as carry positions/ holsters go, I just can't bring myself to carry a loaded weapon that is pointing at my twig n berries. I do not care if it's all the rage, faster better, more improved,whatever. I practice. I doubt seriously if any nano seconds lost on my draw by carrying on my hip or shoulder holster will make any difference. I'm not in Deadwood, nor do I expect to come up against Wild Bill if I ever have to draw my weapon to defend my family or myself.
Just my :s0159:

The advantage of the tactical revolver is that you are pretty much assured that the thing will function 100.000%. The expense of the Browning High Power is being increased by the $spendy$ need to fire at least 200 rounds of DUTY AMMO. Expensive.

Also the pesky fact that this like new Mark 3 High Power is still ... like new. Very tight. Very precise. Thus my paranoid concern. At leas 1000 rounds of +P Nato ammo will be put through it to loosen it up. +P spring kit and the ambo safety already done by me. Fun.

But ... once I burn though all that $ammo$, both range and carry, then I will have re spun back up to speed with the BHP platform. I knew going back to the BHP would be fun. I had forgotten $how expensive$! Yikes! But doable for me. Remember ... paranoia!

My CrossBreed Super Tuck Horsehide upgrade Left Hand NON combat cutaway inside the pants paddle holster along with two, (2) two, (2) mag paddle holsters gives me five, (5) thirteen, (13) round mags for a total load out of 65 rounds. ZOMBIES! 42N, 123W. :)

I put about 300-350 FMJ practice rounds through and about 50-100 rounds of a couple different potential carry rounds to see what shoots and functions well, then another 25-50 or so of the one I'm going to use. So I guess I'm in the roughly 500 round group as well. Just nice to be comfortable with it and check it out the best I can.

Although, after cleaning I always run a few rounds through them just to make sure it's all back together correctly. Advantage of living on acreage I suppose ....... out the back door, bang, bang ....... good to go.

I went to the range and put another 150 tounds though it, but still prefer the G26 which I also shot.
I will make at least one more range trip before I carry it.
Having such a skinny grip compared to the glock is tough to get used to, but I'm still really surprised at how nice it is

I went to the range and put another 150 tounds though it, but still prefer the G26 which I also shot.
I will make at least one more range trip before I carry it.
Having such a skinny grip compared to the glock is tough to get used to, but I'm still really surprised at how nice it is
That skinny grip on the 9mm and 40 helped push me towards the 45, just more mitt filling... Just feels right in my hand, like there's enough to hold onto...

I just put close to 1000 rounds of full pop 10 mm through my new carry 1911. About 2/3 of it was mixed FMJ and the rest were ether tried and true HP stuff, or new to me brands that I had not ever seen before coming up to Orygun. I have to say, it performed as it should once it was broken in and the barrel got throated properly! It feeds all the good HP ammo as easy as the FMJ stuff and once the barrel work was done, No failure to feed ( which every one that owns a 1911 knows) so I'm carrying it in full confidence! I have yet to bother with .40 S/W but will at some point due to the way cheaper cost! $400+ worth of ammo vs Life is pretty cheap when you really look at it, and it was really a lot of fun:D
I also found a new super load for the new Big Ten, Grizzly 200 gr hollow points over 18.2 gr of blue dot @ 1325 FPS and my old standard super load of Remington 200 gr Golden Sabers over 18.4 gr of Blue Dot @ 1340 FPS!!! .357 Mag +P+ WHAT:s0084:

Eh if I buy a gun of good quality and with good reputation - ie Glock, M&P, Sig P series, CZ75 or Beretta 92 series - take it home, clean & lube, load and go. Is there a chance ot will fail? Yes. But theres also a chance that your broken in gun with 500-5000 rounds down the pipe will fail too. Chit happens. If I was buying an unknown quantity then run a few hundred fmjs and a few boxes of jhp through it to function test it.

I don't drive 500 miles on new brakes on my truck before trusting them to save me and i am far more likely to need them to work as advertised than my gun.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top