JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Too late. And opinions are like.......belly buttons. Everyone has one. But it doesn't mean it isn't full of sh, er....lint. :)

Wrong...

DACFDD11-CC73-4FF0-A269-7BE93B067BD6.jpeg

How about an almost one off. the Winchester .348 only chambered in the Model 71 Winchester lever action and now days you can find some of the Model 1885 replica single shots chambered in it.

444 Marlin when I was a kid around 1968 My dad and his buddies were all smitten with it and now NOTHING.
.41 mag is a "failed" caliber.. shouldnt be but it is, and I still reload for it, altho the .357 can probably do pretty much anything a .41 will do..
The .444 Marlin was big in the Michigan deer woods when I was younger- back in the 60's-70's.. (So was the ,257 Roberts) but living in Colorado since the mid 70's Ive never seen either one.. but people do like the .45-70 around here..
The .40 S&W may be failing, IDK- I still carry it (trunk gun) and reload for it... and shoot it better than either the 9mm or .45... both of which I load for and carry as well. Seems that the 9mmP has been worked on by the gun companies to become a far better round than it was in years past- OK that's good, now let's see what they can do with the .45acp!:)
IIRC, the .32 Win Spec was developed to give smiths an option other than a rebarrel for shot-out .30-30's. Bore it out to .32 Spec and you're back in business with the same rifle yore grandpappy used. Ive seen a couple out here and theyve all been family heirlooms...
Anyone mention the short-lived .30-03 military cartridge, immediate predecessor to the highly successful .30-06? They are rara avis indeed, tho I worked with an old man in the 1970's who claimed to own one, and he was known for his precision and honesty...

Last Edited:
.221 Remington fireball? I had, for a short time, a Remington XP-100 single-shot bolt-action pistol in this calibre. The guy sold it to me with about a hundred cartridges. It was amazingly accurate, even with ME shooting, and easily turned in MOA five-shot groups. There was a downside, apart from the obvious one of a definitive shortage of cases - back then, anyhow. It made a racket that was way out of proportion for its size, based, I guess, on the VERY fast burning powder and the short - ten inch - barrel. The sound cut right through a set of Lee Sonics AND a regular pair of Bilsoms, and HURT!

I moved it on to a guy going back to Georgia, and settled for another, just like it, but in 7mm BR. That was a doozy! I kept it for about fifteen years, and again, it ended up going back stateside. In spite of the cool-looking 'Zytel' ergonomic stock [?] grip, it was uh, lively to shoot, to say the least.

And while we're at it, how about the .17cal Javelina?

tac, full of memories, and stuff

tac,

Did the grip on your XP's seem too "centered" on the gun?
My dad always complained about that. Made the recoil worse than it should've been in his opinion.

Dean

tac,

Did the grip on your XP's seem too "centered" on the gun?
My dad always complained about that. Made the recoil worse than it should've been in his opinion.

Dean

Yusp - Could really have done with a seriously heavy muzzle brake, I always thought. Making any kind of a handgun out of that funny old cranked bolt carbine was never going to be a winner, IMO.

tac

There have been a lot of great responses to this thread. Many of the cartridges mentioned I recall, though a few not.

One I was recently reminded of, whilst reading a revolver book from the 80s, was the 9mm Federal. It was basically a rimmed 9㎜ Parabellum. It was only produced from 89-91 and then Charter Arms, the only manufacturer of a revolver in said, went belly up.

Reportedly, the cartridge could also be stuffed and fired in antique, weak, break-action, some blackpowder-only, .38 S&W wheelguns. What could go wrong? :eek:

ssYhvsK.png

Last Edited:
There have been a lot of great responses to this thread. Many of the cartridges mentioned I recall, though a few not.

One I was recently reminded of, whilst reading a revolver book from the 80s, was the 9mm Federal. It was basically a rimmed 9㎜ Parabellum. It was only produced from 89-91 and then Charter Arms, the only manufacturer of a revolver in said, went belly up.

Reportedly, the cartridge could also be stuffed and fired in antique, weak, break-action, some blackpowder-only, .38 S&W wheelguns. What could go wrong? :eek:

View attachment 462767

That cartridge exceeded .357 S&W Magnum pressures. The cartridge shot very hard and was very effective. The lack of a proper revolver for the darned thing assured its demise.

Last Edited:
Not so long as he stick to using two-bit coins and stays away from dimes. :D

Reminds me of the time my company wanted to send me to leadership training. I objected right now, I tell you! I ain't no leader, who do they think I am?! I'm an American, dang it! I'm a quart!

I'm pretty sure he was joking about "metric garbage". :)

That's why I bought an L1A1 instead of an FAL. I wanted a good, solid, British inch pattern gun, not some silly metric thing! :D

That's why I bought an L1A1 instead of an FAL. I wanted a good, solid, British inch pattern gun, not some silly metric thing! :D

It's well-known among us [former] SLR-owners] that the British-made version is FAR superior to the one made by Johnny Foreigner. After all, the inch and the foot and all imperial measurements are far older than that johnny-come-lately so-called SI system invented by Napoleon. It was truly a 'systéme internationale' why doesn't EVERYBODY use it? ;)

tac

I don't like shooting in meters either. Dang confusing that metric stuff. Instead of saying 402.33 Meters, I just say 80 Rods. I try to keep it simple. Or even more simple, one spool of barbed wire.

I went metric, for the superior Austrian cold hammer forged barrels (best barrels FALs could receive!). :rolleyes:

I even had mine chambered in my own proprietary cartridge: 79/256x2" 'Mercan. It's actually fully interchangeable with 7.62 NATO and .308 Win, but it gets completely away from all that metric stuff. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top