JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bet you could handload those .25 and .30 Remington's into some pretty fair hunters....especially if they're being fired in Remington's old model 30 rifle.
...Also...
FWIW, I wouldn't mind having a Styer Hunter rifle in .376.
Good, versatile cartridge that you can use ANYWHERE.

Dean

There are so many........how about the 376 Steyr or 450 Marlin. Both useful calibers they are rarely seen. Didn't Winchester make some unusual cartridges more recently, something like a 307 Winchester? Then there was the 308 Marlin or the 9mm Winchester Magnum.
I have a 450 Marlin (Marlin 1895). Doesn't do anything a 45-70 doesn't do slightly better, but it was $150 cheaper.

There are so many........how about the 376 Steyr or 450 Marlin. Both useful calibers they are rarely seen. Didn't Winchester make some unusual cartridges more recently, something like a 307 Winchester? Then there was the 308 Marlin or the 9mm Winchester Magnum.
.376 Steyr was useful, but in the states there isn't much use for it since folks already had other stuff to do what it would have been good for. Hunting in Africa is a different story though.

Except the 308 Norma Mag came first. It was a 2.5 inch case shared by the 458 Win Mag, 264 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, and 7mm Rem Mag. Its what Winchester SHOULD have done. These were the first "short magnums" made to fit a 30-06 length action. Instead, Winchester had to move the shoulder forward and lengthen the case to 2.62 inches to give it enough neck for adequate meck tension. Its actually a horrible design for the 30-06 action. No COAL latitude unless you use a true magnum length action like an M700. But, the .300 Win Mag said Winchester, so it must be good!
For some reason, I always thought the 308 Norma magnum would make the best all around cartridge for hunting north america. Yet, I've never owned one. I still look for just the right one to come along.

For some reason, I always thought the 308 Norma magnum would make the best all around cartridge for hunting north america. Yet, I've never owned one. I still look for just the right one to come along.

Me thinks one would have to rebarrel. I once saw a custom M70 built on a pre-64 action in 30-338. It was a beautiful rifle. I believe it had a Fajen stock that was more contemporary sporter shaped. If there was more info on who did the work and to what specs, I woild have bought it.

Me thinks one would have to rebarrel. I once saw a custom M70 built on a pre-64 action in 30-338. It was a beautiful rifle. I believe it had a Fajen stock that was more contemporary sporter shaped. If there was more info on who did the work and to what specs, I woild have bought it.

I also damn near bought a 30-338 in a pre 64. It was a beautiful rifle. I've also seen some nice sporterized m1917's and 1903's as well. One day, I'll have just the right one. At one time, I had 6 30-06 rifles in the safe and almost had one re-chambered to 308 Norma mag, but just couldn't do it....

I also damn near bought a 30-338 in a pre 64. It was a beautiful rifle. I've also seen some nice sporterized m1917's and 1903's as well. One day, I'll have just the right one. At one time, I had 6 30-06 rifles in the safe and almost had one re-chambered to 308 Norma mag, but just couldn't do it....

308 Norma Mag brass is still available and fairly easy to find. The gears are turning....

The first rifle I ever had custom built was a VZ24 Mauser in 308 Norma Magnum. Great caliber that will fit in normal length actions. Easy to rechambered a 30-06 and simply open the bolt face to make a long range rifle. There is also the 358 Norma Magnum. I am restoring a classic Mauser right now that has been rechambered to 8mm-06.

A lot of us know and many don't want to admit that if Winchester would have designed the 308 Norma magnum, it would be the popular one and the goofy 2.62" cartridge would be the one by the way side.. Just sayin..

308 Norma Mag brass is still available and fairly easy to find. The gears are turning....
Interesting side conversation on the Norma Mags.
I'm a fan of the .358, but then realized that for "world hunting" .375 would be a more useful caliber.
However, at that point, you basically have a .375 Ruger, so for a large caliber rifle over and above an '06, that would probably be my choice.

Dean

82cbd7db8af5410a3cd02f19aabb8a4b--nitro.jpg
They tend to fall short of .700 Nitro.

Literally. :D

Interesting side conversation on the Norma Mags.
I'm a fan of the .358, but then realized that for "world hunting" .375 would be a more useful caliber.
However, at that point, you basically have a .375 Ruger, so for a large caliber rifle over and above an '06, that would probably be my choice.

Dean

At least 375 H&H is common and doesnt cost much more than a standard rifle.

7.62x39 while it widely used ammo sources are dwindling, if ever they exhaust the steel supply the brass
would not make any 7.62x39 worth it unless bolt action.

With militaries trying to move from 7.62x39 the world is dwindling... VERY slowly. However AKs are being made for both 7.62x39 and 5.56 in Bulgaria more than 5.45 is from the same factory. Just a hint of showing where the AK is going and where the world is taking it.

Plus Russia is not the only source of steel ammo. The ammo imported by CAI varies from Ukraine, Romania, Bosnia, Russia, and even Poland.
brass would not make any 7.62x39 worth it unless bolt action.
Nah, I'd shoot brass through the AK. I'd just put a buffer on the cover to protect the brass. Especially if I get around to building a Tabuk sniper rifle (DMR chambered in 7.62x39).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top