JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
But would the outcome of said wars have been different if they had switched side arms? It's a riflemans war more than a pistol. How much credit can we really give to the sidearm?
The sidearm means a lot. Truthfully, not many took advantage of the capability of the rifles they had... I don't think most of them are what we'd call riflemen now. o_O There certainly were remarkable men, who were good shots. But not a majority.

Artillery did more than sidearms and rifles.

I like 40 and have guns I can carry in that caliber. I like 10 MM, but don't have a gun in that caliber that I like to carry, yes I own a G-29, but I do not like carrying it. I love 357 Sig but only own two guns for it. I have three 45's that I can and will carry, but only the XD45 3.3 has a extended double stack spare magazine. I have 9MM's but they don' give me that warm fuzzy feeling. I like carrying my XD40 3.0" as the best compromise for me..

The .25 NAA and .32 NAA comes to mind. They were .32 ACP and .380 ACP necked down to .25 and .32, respectively. I remember thinking they were both neat-o when they came out, but it does not appear to have taken off. NAA still lists firearms so chambered on their site though.

A book I am currently reminded me of another one that is likely kind of a niche cartridge — .480 Ruger. It was basically a shorter.475 Linebaugh. According to the book, Ruger discontinued revolvers in said. I did a cartridge search on Ruger's site and it did not turn up any wheelguns. It does list a No. 1 chambered in .480 Ruger / .475 Linebaugh though:

C9o5FHE.png

The .25 NAA and .32 NAA comes to mind. They were .32 ACP and .380 ACP necked down to .25 and .32, respectively. I remember thinking they were both neat-o when they came out, but it does not appear to have taken off. NAA still lists firearms so chambered on their site though.

A book I am currently reminded me of another one that is likely kind of a niche cartridge — .480 Ruger. It was basically a shorter.475 Linebaugh. According to the book, Ruger discontinued revolvers in said. I did a cartridge search on Ruger's site and it did not turn up any wheelguns. It does list a No. 1 chambered in .480 Ruger / .475 Linebaugh though:

The .32 NAA is a great cartridge. It makes the small bore cartridge "get up and do a tap dance". Loaded with a Lehigh solid-copper bullet, it would be outstanding! (Pooh-pooh it all you like, but such a combination would be quite effective).

Their only saving grace is that they can be converted to 40 S&W.
So i hear, though, after a short search, found no such conversion parts. If you know of one a link would be most aggreable.

So now i have a cheap glock or an expensive paperweight. Not a single shop in town carries cartridges. Smh, i know better.

How about 22 Winchester Rimfire? Still see a few boxes on some gun shop shelves, but primarily made obsolete by the 22LR,
it morphed into the 22 WRM.
Many of the old Winchester Pumps were made to fire it.
Gabby

300 PRC ?

Ones I suspect will go by the wayside:
375 Ruger / 338 RCM / 300 RCM / 22 Nosler / 26 & 28 Nosler / not sure about the 6.5 PRC
Not sure which will fade to oblivion first: 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel
Always wanted to find a 6.5 Carcano, but never could.
I don't expect the 6.5 Creedmoor will keep up its momentum.
Surprised the 7 RUM has stayed alive as long as it has, the barrel cooking round that it is.
404 Jeffries : the parent to many excellent cartridges.

Barrett to Produce MRAD Rifles in .300 PRC for DoD

One that has been mentioned yet is 12 and 13mm Gyrojet. What a weird gizmo and unsurprisingly it never went anywhere.

Their problem was early manufacturing issues added to making pistols and carbines where close range is the name of the game which did not benefit from this type of ammo as it really lack any close range ballistic performance. Distance would have been where it'd be a neat concept.

Its a shame it never caught on. I'd like to shoot one.

Funny as I have been enjoying one of my failed cartridges lately, the once famous .500 Jeffries! While it is still produced in very small batches, and one can still find it, for around $15 per round!:eek:
Hand loaded comes in around $3 per round! That's the only way I can afford it!

Funny as I have been enjoying one of my failed cartridges lately, the once famous .500 Jeffries! While it is still produced in very small batches, and one can still find it, for around $15 per round!:eek:
Hand loaded comes in around $3 per round! That's the only way I can afford it!

That .500 Jeffries is a cartridge that would serve well in the alders of Alaska. If it stomps a Grizzly into a puddle, so much the better. There are times when "bigger is better".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top