JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What would be suggested for preparations?

The economy is cyclical by nature and election years / going into them causes a lot of speculation and unpredictability. Stock markets thrive on predictability, so, obviously if things go the opposite way we're going to see some turbulence.

The last "Great Recession" was really, really junky. But, those most screwed by it were the part of the population attempting to retire or go into retirement (or already in retirement) shortly at or after 2008. Anyone not in that group (so, working age and younger) felt some pain but, if they were able to continue working (no job loss), then the storm was easily weathered. (FWIW, I'm in marketing and guess what? We're the first team to go when the $h!T hits the fan and yea, 2008-2011 really sucked for me).

So, you need to ask yourself some questions. In your industry, are you looking at potential job loss during a recession? The unemployment rate from the last was at 5% going into the recession and didn't see that again until 2015, so let's use that timeline to base the rest of the conversation. Assuming the recession lasts for ~7-10 years...

Are you planning on retiring during this time or shortly after?
If you have a potential job loss, have you saved enough to cover finding a fallback income stream / have enough to supplement a lower income until finding max-employment?
Are you willing to hold onto non-liquid assets during this time?
Are there major purchases you may have to make during this time? (example: my A/C unit is going on 15 years and has shown signs of dying. HVAC rep recommended full replacement. Or maybe you've got an aging vehicle, etc.)

Being in a really crap financial situation is the most probable for most people. I'd be prepping for this by increasing savings, inventorying job opportunities and fall backs, selling illiquid assets that you may have been putting off, and planning for future financial sucker-punches however you see fit.

For the rest of the doom and gloom prep, I'll defer to others.

If anything, I do my best to plan around these types of things. The last one was real rough for me, 2008 got let go from a company that felt the hurt, badly, and was on and off homeless until 2012. I'm not planning on that happening a 2nd time, so I've been trying to make sure as many bases are covered as possible so that if everything tanks again, I'm not stuck holding my pecker in confusion.

Speaking of gardens, mines out of control with weeds. I freaking hate weeding.
Used to hate gardening because of weeding. Now I have discovered heavy mulch to cover the soil. Thomas Jefferson actually used this method. Next to no weeds, no need for tilling, less watering, and natural fertilizer. Look up lasagna gardening or back to Eden gardening. Works great. On my third year of it.

Camelfilter,

"No reason to go build a bunker & close the hatch.'

Now, I'm really confused.

I thought that was the 'name of the game' with prepping...

No?

Keep the hatch open because 'sharing is caring'?

A little Thursday humor doncha know...not enough of that going around.

C'mon over neighbor, sure you can have some my spam and bullets and, and, and, you my other neighbor, yeah sure, you're included too, wait I mean neighbors, wow, this crowd is getting large, now wait your turn in line, quit shoving, stop...

Close the hatch, DIVE DIVE DIVE!

In prepping, I would include the latest Netflix's MST 3000 videos with Patton Oswalt and his pretty good looking buck tooth sidekick chick, Patricia Day, who calls herself Kinga.

I rationed myself 2 bad movies and listened to Crow, Tom Servo, Cambot and the rest of the gang make snarky comments on the movie and laughed and laughed as tears rolled down my cheeks.

MST3000 is really good for what ails ya!

In prepping, I would include the latest Netflix's MST 3000 videos with Patton Oswalt and his pretty good looking buck tooth sidekick chick, Patricia Day, who calls herself Kinga.

I rationed myself 2 bad movies and listened to Crow, Tom Servo, Cambot and the rest of the gang make snarky comments on the movie and laughed and laughed as tears rolled down my cheeks.

MST3000 is really good for what ails ya!

I used to watch "Most Extreme Elimination Challenge" a lot. Its a Japanese obstacle course game show....dubbed over in English with some artistic liberties on what is actually said. Laugh my azz off.

And I get it, I too get tired of the doom and gloom.

Bullets, beans & bandaids. Start there.

Food
Water storage plus several methods for purification
First aid, medical supplies & back up any medications you & yours may need
Communication equipment & ancillary equipment
Firearms & ammo, mags, etc. to defend it all.
Train and practice all of the above

My place has three water sources plus rain catchment. Secure your water sources and know that water is life.

Something else, The Rule of Threes. "One is none, two is one, etc." In other words, you should do your best to have backups for critical equipment. Back up your backups.

I've been doing this for many years and from what I've observed of new folks is that it's more important to start prepping than worrying.
Go with what you have, add what you can when you can.

Much of prepping is just basic common sense and using your noodle.

Best wishes.
You forgot bitcoins and pokemon goes!

nr

You forgot bitcoins and pokemon goes!

nr

No use for bitcoin for me, but I had gotten into a lull of not doing any cardio. My brother in law plays Pokémon and recommended I try it out. Sounds dumb - but I ended up walking 21 miles in three days. About 7 times what I had been doing before.

Having a pantry of long lasting food is a good staple to start, but being in healthy shape is what I believe to be the single most overlooked "prep" - there are so many obese 'preppers.'

Im not a cash in your 401k and pay a bunch of penalties to buy gold (or ammo) guy.

I am not either. I did know, however, more than one person who did that during the Great Recession and they really screwed themselves in a multiplicity of ways; derailed retirement planning, took a tax hit, bought gold at a peak, missed out on the long bull market, etc.

I will say in our non-retirement investment portfolio, we've moved to safer investments in recent years. If/when the market tanks, it will be another good time to buy and hold. I'm leaving the retirement portfolio alone for now as we've still got time. To each their own.

I strongly recommend having as much cash as you can reasonably afford on hand in your home. If things go poopy, cash will be king at least at the outset.
Plastic will die rapidly so my plan will be to take a bunch of cash, spend like a drunken sailor getting any and everything I think I might need at the time and then hole up.
I may end up using the rest for toilet paper:confused:
Meanwhile,Everyone needs to have...
FOOD AND WATER AND MEDS FOR 3 WEEKS!
PER PERSON!

The best way to prep is to not wait until such issues become issues - by then it is difficult to prep for them as the issues interfere with your ability to prep.

I've been saying for some time to buy while the buying is good. Ditto with saving.

The warnings about a recession are mostly "look at this chart/indicator/etc. - this is a predictor of..." - I've been seeing those for years. I seriously think that least some of those warnings ware meant to drive the market down for a day or two so day traders can buy, and then sell a few days later when the price goes back up.

A couple of things to remember:

1) The stock market is not the economy and the economy is not the stock market.

2) Buy low, sell high. Do NOT panic buy or sell. Hang onto what you have invested unless the market is booming and you need the funds. Do not invest money that you may need tomorrow - invest money that you can let ride until retirement/etc.

3) The economy is doing real well right now. Unemployment is at its lowest in a long time. If it wasn't for Trump's stupid trade war we would be doing even better.
Trumps trade war isn't stupid.

Been through this several times. Stock up on food, water, firearms and ammo now and reloading equipment. Secure your house, extra food for pets, and do not disclose what you are doing to nosy and liberal neighbors. Eliminate debt.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top